Events are being posted twice or even three times

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Events are being posted twice or even three times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    joe farwell
    Participant

Hello,

Events are being displayed multiple times on the same date and the dates are off. This is on a dev site and so I thought that maybe it was because we had two licenses active but the issue still remained after I pointed my domain name to the new setup.

Also the events for June aren’t showing up.

Please let me know what is going on so we can get this fixed.

The dev site can be found here: http://ba0.3fa.myftpupload.com/

Thanks!

George
    Participant

Sorry to hear this!

I cannot recreate this behavior at all, so what I would recommend doing is deactivating ALL PLUGINS on your site except for only this one, single plugin:

• The Events Calendar

THEN, activate a default theme like Twenty Twelve or Twenty Sixteen.

Then try making new events and see if the same issues persist.

What do you find?

— George

joe farwell
    Participant

Hi George,

I tried this but events are still listed twice or even three times. I’ve attached a screenshot. So I don’t have access to my client’s facebook account. They post the event on Facebook and have your Facebook plugin activated which is supposed to feed the events to the website.

Their current live site:

http://charleyslg.com/events/ works fine but the dev site: http://ba0.3fa.myftpupload.com/events/2016-05/ does not.

Thanks for your help and time on this –

George
    Participant

Thank you for testing that stuff, @larafarwell.

From here, I would first recommend updating your plugins to their most recent version. The Events Calendar, Facebook Importer, and all other related plugins we make are now at version 4.2—I would recommend updating to this version on your site and seeing if that affects anything.

Next, can you confirm if the only events that are getting listed twice or three times, etc., are only events that have been imported from Facebook? Or does ANY event on your site get listed more than once?

Thank you!
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Thanks George!

So I updated all three plugins to 4.2. I left only Events Calendar plugin activated and still am seeing multiple postings (http://ba0.3fa.myftpupload.com/events/2016-05/)

I activated all three plugins only and still multiple events are showing.

We don’t post through the website, we post events only through Facebook so yes, all of these multiple listings are happening from events posted from Facebook.

Thanks for your time and help!

George
    Participant

Thank you for testing this, @larafarwell.

This may seem trivial, but can you try making an event on your site itself; i.e., right in the wp-admin of your WordPress site, so that you have one event that is not imported from Facebook?

How does this event behave? Is there any duplication, etc.?

This will help confirm if the issues are just with the Facebook importing process, which will be quite helpful in narrowing down the issue.

Also, if possible, can you post some of the Facebook pages that you are importing from? No worries if this is private or sensitive, and you thus don’t want to post those pages. But if you can, I will test importing from those pages and leave the imports running, and will observe if I have a duplication problem on my own site as well.

Thank you for your patience with this!
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Hey George,

No problem. So I did what you suggested and the event name comes up once and seems fine: http://ba0.3fa.myftpupload.com/events/ (June 19th event) so I think it’s safe to say it has something to do with the Facebook plugin.

So I don’t have access to the clients Facebook account. But here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/charleyslosgatos/?fref=ts

Thanks for your time and help on this!

George
    Participant

Thank you for this information, and for testing that!

I’m sorry for the slow pace of this issue; it’s an odd issue that I have not been able to reproduce thus far, but I have now set up an hourly auto-import of that Facebook page you mentioned, and will see if I get similar behavior as you:

☝️ I will let some imports run and let some events get imported, and report what I find!

Thank you for your patience,
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Hi George,

Have you been able to find anything else out on the issue?

Thanks!

George
    Participant

Hey @Larafarwell,

Thank you for following up. I have indeed let some imports run, but I have not found any duplication issues.

Here is a screenshot of imported events in my wp-admin from the charleyslosgatos page:

1. Can you confirm that these imports are accurate, and that you agree there are no duplicates?

2. How, specifically, do your results differ from what I have in the screenshot above? For the sake of simplicity, for example, can you select one event that DOES duplicate for you, but does NOT duplicate for me, and then share with me how it duplicates on your site? Does it make several instances on the same day & time? Or does it make several instances, all different days and times?

Thank you for your patience here!
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Hey George,

Before I do that it seems that the license key for Facebook events is not working on test site. This is because it is installed and used on the live site however I need to make sure this is working on the test site before launching. How do I fix this before I address your question, because right now this is what I see

George
    Participant

Thanks for your posting that screenshot!

I cannot reproduce those results, but that information is helpful for confirming the behavior you describe.

In regards to the license key for your test site, you do NOT need to enter a license key on the test site (or any site) for the plugin to work. The plugin functionality is not affected in any way by the presence or absence of the license key.

The license key only signs up the domain name for updates and support. So, on your test site, you can just install the latest version of Facebook Events and any other premium add-ons (for which you can get files at any time here → http://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads), and then just activate the plugins and use them normally. A notice may appear prompting for a license key, but you do not need to enter one at any time.

I hope this helps!
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Thanks George,

I updated the Events Calendar plugin but I’m still seeing duplicate events. What else could be causing this?

George
    Participant

Thank you for updating and following-up here!

I’m sorry to hear that issues persist.

One thing that might be a factor is if the events on Facebook.com are being edited after being published. Do you know if is happening at all? Examples could be the changing of event times, venue, title, anything like that?

Thank you for your patience and persistence here!
    George

joe farwell
    Participant

Hi George,

Not that I know of. We are seeing this with lots of events almost all of them and I’m pretty sure this is not happening.

So my question is, is once we launch our new site and delete the current configuration of Events Calendar PRO and Facebook Events on the live site, will we still be seeing the same problems? I don’t want to launch the new site and have these duplicate events showing up.

I just still don’t understand why on the live site there are no duplicate issues but on the test site there is. Could it be because search engine visibility is turned off on the demo test site?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Events are being posted twice or even three times’ is closed to new replies.