Help Desk

Events all marked ‘This Event Has Passed’

Hi there,
    Today when I checked my Events Calendar it is showing ALL Events as passed. No matter the date.

If you look at my site at http://www.tamborinemtncc.org.au/events/upcoming/ you will see what I mean if you click on any event.

Would you please take a look and let me know what needs to be done to fix this.

Regards,
    Ray

p.s. I inadvertently submitted the post before I had put version number in. Here they are — The Events Calendar ver 3.0.3. — The Events Calendar Pro ver 3.05

Hi Ray, I suspect this may be caused by the fact that the sidebar has events in it and is rendered before the post content thereby overriding parts of it. To test this theory, would you mind temporarily removing events widgets from the sidebar (or just pick a template that doesn’t have a sidebar) for the events pages? I’m curious if that would solve it. If it does we can look into what more can be done to support the sidebar.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.
    I have just tried your suggestion and removed the Events widget from the sidebar (have left it off now so you can see) but still the same result with ‘this event has passed.

Just to let you know that everything was working fine with the Events Calendar yesterday the last time I looked. That is with the Events widget in the sidebar on the Events pages.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Peter,

I just noticed that if I goto an Event in October or later (I currently have no events in September) they show correctly. As well these later events are not recurring events whereas all of the August Events ARE recurring.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray

Hi,

I’m also having the same issue with my reoccuring events. I’m also getting a url and the option to “show all” reocurring events in the sequence at the side of the dates which looks untidy: http://www.advantage.co.uk/events/

I’m also looking through the blog to find a resolution to the layout / display problem as you’ll see if you click the link above.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Just looked at your site and all looks fine. Did you find anything to fix your problem?

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,
    No, it still appears on the reocurring events: http://www.advantage.co.uk/event/webinar-inbound-document-management-for-dynamics/2013-09-26/ Still looking for a fix.

Regards,
    Ryan

Ryan/Ray: Did these recurring events exist prior to upgrading to 3.x?

I have the same problem on site we’re developing. Unable to post a link as it’s not live yet. Hoping for a fix.

FYI, I think we’ve solved the problem on our site.

Events -> Settings -> Display -> Events template -> change to “Default PAGE Template”

I don’t see any different in how the page is rendered, except that the inaccurate error mentioned in this thread doesn’t appear.

@techguy, that’s very interesting. That indicates that we have a bug that pertains to that piece of meta being rendered by some other query (such as the events widget in the sidebar). That also suggests that there’s a good temporary fix (use the default page template) until we can sort that bug out.

Thanks!

P.s. I’ve filed a bug about this in our system. We’ll let you know if we can reproduce the problem on a clean install and when we release a fix. Thanks!

Thanks for the comments.

In my settings it’s already Default Page Template and yes, these events were there before the update. I daren’t add any new ones just yet in case it unearths any other issues.

I know when we first installed the plugin about 12 months ago we had problems with reoccurring events and to be honest I hate this feature as you are restricted to how events reoccur. For example, if I have a webinar I want to run this week and in 6 weeks time I have to follow a crazy rule to make it reoccur such as every fourth Friday…. Surely the simplest thing would be to repost the event but then that’s duplicate content which defeats the purpose of trying to improve the website in the SERPs. I can’t understand why there isn’t a field on the calendar where you can just type dates in for it to take place without some kind of rule. Surely I’m not the only marketer that finds this frustrating?

Kind regards,

Ryan Sedgwick.

Ryan, I totally hear your point about custom recurrences. In fact for me personally it’s also a really high priority. As it turns out though, it’s a really complicated nut to crack and to make performant. It’s in our pipeline, but it might take a while since it’s pretty difficult to implement.

Hi Peter,
    Yep, I emailed support last year about this as one of the reasons I upgraded to the Pro version was (hopefully) for something like this but then became apparent you couldn’t add events like this. I was told 12 months ago it was in the future pipeline but would have hoped it would have moved forward since then.

Hi Ryan,
    Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Yes, I can now see that you still have the problem on your site.

Hope we both can get a fix soon.

Regards,
    Ray

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

My recurring events were in place prior to upgrading to 3.x

I have tried with both the ‘default events template’ and the ‘default page template’. The result is the same with the ‘event has passed’ message appearing whichever template I use.

This is only happening on recurring events.

Up to a day or two ago everything was working fine with my setup.

Not sure why this has suddenly happened other than I did adjust one recurring event.

Hoping that a fix is possible as the majority of my events are showing ‘event has passed’ on a live site.

However it is a beautiful day here in sunny Queensland, Australia!

Regards,
    Ray

Hi there,

Any ideas here? The only thing I can think of is to delete all existing recurring events and then re-add all of my recurring Events. Don’t want to do this really though.

Regards,
    Ray

Hi Ray,

I’m just jumping in here for Peter. I’ve checked on the status of the bug that peter filed and it looks like its being worked on right now. I’ll check in with you guys as soon as I’m updated with more info. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay.

Neill

Correct Answer

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience so far. I just wanted to update you all and let you know this is still in progress and, realistically, the fix will probably arrive in the next, next release.

I can’t actually replicate this with my current setup, but I wanted to float the following idea as a possible interim workaround.

First, set up an override for tribe-events/single-event.php (if you are unsure how please see our Themer’s Guide for the lowdown on this). Then, locate the following lines of code:

<!– Notices –>
    <?php tribe_events_the_notices() ?>

Try changing it to the following:

<!– Notices –>
    <?php if (date(‘Y-m-d’) > tribe_get_start_date(get_the_ID(), false, ‘Y-m-d’)) tribe_events_the_notices() ?>

I can’t be certain it will help (since I’m not currently able to replicate) but it’s possible it may at the very least be a starting point for a solution. Nor is it perfect as it doesn’t test to see what notices it might be hiding, but again it could be embellished to cover various more complicated scenarios.

Hi Ray,

Just a quick update on this. We are planning a release in the coming week and are happy to say that this particular issue is addressed in this release. This ticket will remain closed, but if you update and still notice an issue feel free to open a new ticket and we’ll be able to help you from there.

Thanks for your time and effort in helping us get to the bottom of this one!

Neill

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.