Eventbrite UK currency problem

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Eventbrite UK currency problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alex
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just installed the Eventbrite Tickets plugin and am playing around with creating my first events.

The first thing I’ve spotted is that there is no setting for the currency for tickets in the “Add New Event” page. I tell it £20 in WordPress, but then the plugin creates the ticket at $20 USD – which causes some other problems, as a PayPal merchant account is needed for handling foreign currency, which stops the event going live.

I’ve looked through the settings page as well – my default currency is set to “£”, but that does’t see to affect it. Also, when I correct it in Eventbrite manually, the plugin reflects the correct currency.

Grateful for assistance with this.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Alex,

I would love to help you with this.

According to our primary Eventbrite dev there was an issue with Eventbrite for a short while where the currency could not be set via their API. However, they have recently resolved this, and thus we would like to begin setting the currency from Wp Admin as you’re hoping to do.

Until then, it is necessary to manually edit the tickets on Eventbrite.com and alter the currency.

Does that all make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know.

Cheers!

– Brook

Alex
    Participant

Hi Brook, many thanks for replying.

I’ve looked at the code and it seems to be hard-coded to USD everywhere I can see at the moment.

For example:

$args = (object) wp_parse_args( $args, array(
    			'name' => '',
    			'description' => '',
    			'start' => '',
    			'end' => '',
    			'cost' => 0,
    			<strong>'currency' => 'USD',</strong>
    			'qty' => 0,
    			'type' => 0,
    			'include_fee' => false,
    		) );

Likewise, looking at the Eventbrite API, it says that you simply need to POST the right currency code alongside the cost, under ticket_class.cost, i.e ‘GBP,2000’.

I’m going to give it a try replacing all USD mentioned in your code with GBP which I think will work, but I don’t think that’s a reliable long-term solution, nor is editing each event to fix it manually each time, so I’ll be very grateful when Modern Tribe have a chance to look at this. Will this be in the next update?

All the best
    Alex

Dave Riches
    Participant

I had the same issue previously, which is unfixed:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/changing-default/

Alex, you could be onto something here..I’m going to do the same, and create a patch file. Will report back

Brook
    Participant

I’m going to give it a try replacing all USD mentioned in your code with GBP which I think will work, but I don’t think that’s a reliable long-term solution, nor is editing each event to fix it manually each time, so I’ll be very grateful when Modern Tribe have a chance to look at this. Will this be in the next update?

I certainly agree. Anything that involves directly editing the plugin is not a good longterm solution.

That would be awesome if already had plans to includes this! But no, there are no plans to include any changes here in the next update.

The more I look at this the more I think this will likely happen in tiered steps:

1. We will add some additional filters to Eventbrite API requests.
    2. We will create an extension which allows you to setup a custom currency.

Definitely feel free to give that adjustment a whirl. We are passing that currency along in the cost requests, so altering it will likely work assuming there are no difficulties with the API not functioning as outlined.

The line of code you quote is the defaults for a ticket. Defaults will get overridden based on the data passed. However, as I mentioned earlier our programmers were unable to set the currency with the new API, when it was just released. Thus, we did not add a box to the ticket area for selecting the currency. And because of that, you can not override the defaults from within WP Admin. Furthermore, I am not seeing any filters you could use to override those defaults either. Hence why I think first we will first need to add some filters before a longterm solution is viable.

Please let me know if you have any followup questions. Does changing the default currency in that code work as expected?

Cheers!

– Brook

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Eventbrite UK currency problem’ is closed to new replies.