Event URLs return 404s

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event URLs return 404s

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

Hi,
    We are having problems with The Events Calendar. Some events, especially event category archives, return 404s.
    I have been working with our hosting company, Liquid Web, and they asked me to ask you this:

>>Why are posts with the post_type tribe_events giving 404 errors and not displaying properly? What can we do to further diagnose or resolve the issue with the plugin so they display properly?

I have disabled all other plugins and reverted to the 2016 theme, with no success.

George
    Participant

Sorry to hear about this, @Josh. There isn’t anything standing out as outright problematic in your System Information, so for starters, I’m wondering:

1. Can you clarify exactly what your site’s settings are in Settings → Permalinks?

Are they /%postname%/, for example?

2. Next, can you clarify when this issue started arising, to the best of your knowledge/memory?

3. Finally, for now, we have a handy guide for troubleshooting some of the common culprits behind 404 errors. That guide is here: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/fixing-http-404-errors/. I would recommend going through that and seeing if progress is made anywhere along the way.

Let us know what you find!

Thank you,
    George

Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your patience and persistence here. I am a bit stumped here, and have been testing out things for this issue to no avail thus far.

I tried your Permalinks structure and everything, and cannot reproduce the problems….

You mention this:

the 404s are are event category archives, not single post events.

Can you share some actual, literal URLs to the archives on your site that return a 404?

Thank you!
    George

Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

This reply is private.

Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Thank you so much for this information, @Josh! I’m escalating this issue to our developers for some closer inspection here.

I apologize for the delayed response; I was out of office for an extended time to tend to some health issues, and appreciate your patience here.

Stay tuned to this thread!

Sincerely,
    George

Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Josh,

Thank you for your patience, and for offering the admin login on the staging site. I unfortunately don’t know how much that would help, because from within your admin there is not much I could do that would influence this behavior.

I have reviewed the reply from your web host and have shared it with our team; it unfortunately does not map to this issue and I am wondering why they reported those details.

Look at that query—an item of the post type “post” is being queried. Calendar feeds and archive pages for the events post type would not do this.

Perhaps that specific mixing-up of post types is the issue, but I cannot recreate that nor can I see any way that it would be possible unless there was a theme or plugin conflict—which you’ve already claimed to have tested for, though, to no avail.

To further complicate things, the category archive page you linked me to worked fine when I visited it.

So, under what circumstances does this become a 404? The intermittent nature of its being a 404 or not is a further wrinkle here, and a confusing one. Please describe how it goes from 404 to not-404, if possible:

1. is that change based on things you do from within the admin?
    2. Is it seemingly random? Is it specific times of day?
    3. Is it only specific categories? If so: which specific categories?

Thank you so much for your continued patience and persistence with this issue—it is an odd one but we are determined to help resolve this.

Sincerely,
    George

Josh Fialkoff
    Participant

Hi George,

Here are my answers:

>>1. is that change based on things you do from within the admin?

No, it occurs at times when no one is working on the site.

>>2. Is it seemingly random? Is it specific times of day?

Yes, it is random and does not occur at specific times.

>>3. Is it only specific categories? If so: which specific categories?

It seems to happen most often on http://btu.org/events/category/retirees/ and other event category archives.

Please let me know what you recommend we do to resolve this.

Thanks,
    Josh

George
    Participant

Hey Josh,

Thanks for confirming all of these details, and for your patience here.

I have to be honest here and admit that, at this time, I do not have anything to recommend. I cannot recreate your behavior no matter my attempts, and nor have our developers been able to identify a culprit yet.

I will continue to investigate—I am very sorry about this issue! In the meantime, one thing I can recommend here if possible is to push back a bit with that response from your webhost—something like:

That query shows an item of the post type ‘post’ being queried. But it’s a calendar archive page for the post type ‘tribe_events’, and an event category whose slug is ‘tribe_events_cat’. Calendar feeds and archive pages for the events post type would not pull in a ‘post’ post type on their own, so is there any chance you could take a closer look at that or see what might be causing the odd behavior?

Thank you,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Event URLs return 404s’ is closed to new replies.