Event Submission Landing Page Not Working

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Event Submission Landing Page Not Working

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    colorado2
    Participant

Hello there

The Community add page is where we have the Submit an Event form for our users. As of right now, it is a blank page. No errors or anything that we can refer to, just a blank page. Please let me know ASAP what might be causing this and a possible fix. We have not added any new plugins recently and just noticed that this is an issue.

http://www.colorado.aaa.com/encompass-events/community/add

A quick response would be very appreciated.
    Thanks!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy colorado2!

It’s nice to meet you. Sorry to see the submission form is down. I can certainly help you with that.

Usually when you get a white blank page there is a server error, but WordPress is preventing it from showing. You could tell WordPress to show the error by enabling WP_DEBUG (click here for tutorial). This will give you an actual error message to go on.

However, we could also try forging ahead without an error message. It’s a bit like stabbing in the dark. But, one common method is to test for conflicts. Sometimes this is even necessary when you have an error message, because the error is cryptic. As a bonus, sometimes running a conflict test can completely fix the problem, because the culprit might simply be a plugin that you don’t need or one that you could simply update.

Would one of those options work for you? If so, what did you find out? Please let us know. Cheers!

– Brook

colorado2
    Participant

Before I get into that, would it be as simple as updating the plugin?

Brook
    Participant

That’s a good notion. It could very well be that simple. You stated that you are running version 3.9.1 of the plugin. Are all of the plugins, Community, PRO, and Core all on 3.9.x? If not, you should definitely try updating them all to the latest versions of each. Running mismatched versions is likely to cause problems.

If you are asking if it is as simple as updating a different plugin, that too might help. It is usually highly recommended in the WordPress world to run the very latest versions of everything, WordPress itself, your plugins, and your theme. This will include all of the latest bug fixes for each.

Does that answer your question? Cheers!

– Brook

colorado2
    Participant

When I am logged in I see the form. When I am logged out, it is missing on the page and therefor our visitors will never see it because they are never logged in.

I tried to enable and disable these form submissions for anonymous users via settings in the plugin and it does not work either.

Brook
    Participant

That is good to know. I have seen a similar problem before. That particular issue was the result of a plugin conflict. I forget which plugin it was unfortunately, and I have been unable to find the topic. But, it is very possible that  is what is happening here.

There really are only three good ways to proceed as outlined earlier:

1. Make sure everything is up to date, unless for some reason you think an update will break the site.
    2. Enable wp_debug. This will likely give you an error message to help narrow down the culprit.
    3. Try a conflict test. Perhaps start with disabling a plugin revealed by the above error message.

If I were you I would try them in that order. As it is quite possible that you will fix it before reaching the end of those steps.

Does that all make sense? If so, please let me know how it goes. I would love to answer questions and help along the way.

Cheers!

– Brook

colorado2
    Participant

Hi again,
    We did
    1. Update the plugins.
    2. Change the settings few time to activate and deactivate “anonymous submission” even we changed to URL to be sure it will work.
    3. Activate debug mode and get the results. There is nothing related to the plugin directory or URL of the form in the debug.log file.
    Are you able to give us more information how to find where in your scripts this data about who can submit and who cant is stored, because what we see now is that – if the person is logged – its working?
    Thanks

colorado2
    Participant

Also, because our site is live, we did a dev. installation for additional testing, but there we cannot update the plugin, because it doesn’t recognize the Verif. code.

colorado2
    Participant

Hi,
    If this could help – here is the top of the log file.

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370

Notice: wp_register_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for sharing what you’ve tried so far. Good call updating those plugins.

Also, because our site is live, we did a dev. installation for additional testing, but there we cannot update the plugin, because it doesn’t recognize the Verif. code.

I understand that. We actually have a knowledgebase article about this problem. It also outlines that you even transfer the license from your dev site to your main one rather easily.

Activate debug mode and get the results. There is nothing related to the plugin directory or URL of the form in the debug.log file. Are you able to give us more information how to find where in your scripts this data about who can submit and who cant is stored, because what we see now is that – if the person is logged – its working?

I definitely can get you the script. I hope it will be of help to your debugging, but I worry that it won’t shed much light on the matter. The file is /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/tribe-community-events/tribe-community-events.php and the line 1369 within that file.

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370

Notice: wp_register_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370

I am glad you got your logging setup. Those do not appear to be errors related to our problem though. 🙁 Those are PHP Notices. Usually notices do not prevent the page from loading. And actually, it’s unclear if those notices are even coming from the Community Submission page without the full log. We are likely looking for a PHP Fatal Error, or perhaps a Warning rather than a Notice.

If I were in your shoes the next thing I would do would be to try a conflict test. But, perhaps you prefer to keep looking through the log file or investigate that script you asked for? Definitely go with your preference. But, just know that often times conflict tests can take as little as 5 minutes, and can narrow down the problem. Sometimes even solve. Usually when I am debugging they are one of the first thing I try.

Please let me know how it goes, or if you have any more questions along the way. Cheers!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed anything from me Colorado2. Please let me know!

Cheers!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

Since this topic has been inactive for a spell we are going to archive it. Please note, if you need anything else or something is not yet resolved please open a new topic. We would love to help!

Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Submission Landing Page Not Working’ is closed to new replies.