Event Organizers Adding Tags

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Event Organizers Adding Tags

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Hi there:

I did a search on this and I am really surprised to see that community event organizers cannot add tags to their events, when they submit or edit their events. They can only put their events into a category. I am assuming this is still the case. (Please link for previous support thread on this. https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/tags-in-community-events/#dl_post-1080716)

I have Events Calendar Pro, so I can add additional fields to my event submissions form. However, I looked in there, and it looks like I can’t even pull in the tags field through there however. I would have to build a new tags listing.

Surely linking the existing tags code to the event submission form is an easy thing to do, because the tags field exists. Is there some way I can add a short code or some code snippet to my events submissions forms to enable event organizers to add tags to their events? I could create a new field called tags and add that via the additional fields function of Events Calendar Pro, but that seems silly when the proper tags functionality is already are baked into the system.

Can you help?

Thank you.

Alison

Alison
    Participant

I just checked and the Filter Bar indexes events against tags, so it makes sense that tags should be something event organizers can apply to their events.

Nico

Hi there Alison,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Let me start by saying you raise an interesting point here.

I see you also left a comment in The Events Calendar user voice page about it, thanks for that. We actually have an internal ticket to address this feature, but it hasn’t been scheduled for a release yet. This means it’s on the plan to develop this, but won’t happen soon. Anyway, I’ve added your comments and bumped the ticket priority.

Unfortunately there’s no shortcode or snippet to add tag support in Community Events t the time.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you,
    Best,
    Nico

Alison
    Participant

Hi Nico:

Thank you for adding my comments and bumping up the priority.

In the meantime, until you guys can add this functionality into an update, can you tell me where the code is for the Community Events “Submit Event” routine that is invoked by a user going to http://www.whateverdomain.com/events/calendar/add?

I would like to look in there and see how you have built it to pull in the Event Categories to the “Submit Event” routine. I might try to replicate that code with Event Tags by myself as some custom code. I am a beginner but might be able to figure it out with a friend of mine.

Thanks you for all of your help.

Alison

Nico

Hi Alison,

Thanks for following up!

Glad to hear you’ll give the customization a try. The class that handles the submission is called Submission_Handler.php and it’s located at the-events-calendar-community-events/src/Tribe/. There you’ll find the code used for creating / updating the submitted events.

Do you think we are ok to close this thread now?

Have a great weekend,
    Nico

Alison
    Participant

Hi Nico:

Since I wrote my last message to you on this thread I stumbled across some code to add tags to the Submit Event form, located here:

https://github.com/bordoni/tec-forum-support/tree/plugin-954138

I have installed this plugin and it seems to work and it even integrates with the Filter Bar which pleasantly surprised me. So I am thinking of using this 954138 plugin, instead of trying to finesse my own solution which was probably doomed to fail anyway.

It seems like the tags become “hyperlinks” and are clickable from within the View Event screen which is nice too.

Just one question though…. are the tags that get created by plugin 954138 getting plopped into the same database as the tags that are created via the Add New Tag routine that is a part of the regular events calendar system? I just want to understand if I am having one or 2 event tags databases if I choose to keep plugin 954138 active. They seem to be the same database to me which is awesome, but I am not sure by any stretch.

Alison

Nico

Hi Alison,

Thanks for following up with this great find! Shame on me, I wasn’t aware of this support plugin.

The plugin stores tags in the same way as when tags entered when editing an event in the backend. This is why they also show in Filter Bar, so don’t worry about having duplicated information in the database.

Best,
    Nico

Alison
    Participant

Hi Nico:

Well, there is a lot out there so you can’t know everything. 🙂 That’s my excuse at least. Thanks for the info about the database being the same. Good news.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you.

Alison

Nico

Glad to hear this is solved Alison 🙂

Indeed there’s a lot to be aware of around our plugins regarding snippets and customizations! Hopefully I can say I learned something new today, thanks!

I’ll go ahead and close out this thread, but if you need help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new one and we will be happy to assist you.

Have a great week,
    Nico

Courtney

We’re happy to announce you can now allow users to add Tags to their events when submitting them to your site.

Don’t worry, they won’t be able to go crazy and add 80 million new tags on your site – in the same way categories work, users can only add existing tags that an admin has created to their event. And if you wish to remove Categories and Tags from the event submission form, you can do so with simple customizations.

Learn more about this and more Community Events updates at https://theeventscalendar.com/community-events-4-5-refresh/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Organizers Adding Tags’ is closed to new replies.