Event Calendar

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Event Calendar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay

Hello,
    We currently use a home grown calendar on our rides website that I’d like to replace. I was trying to figure if, and which products would meet our requirements.
    1. We have about 200 rides that reoccur every year. We need a method of rolling these all forward to the next year, and adjusting the dates to make them line up on the correct day of the week. For example Oct. 1 is a Sunday this year. Next year Oct. 1 is on a Monday. So all the rides would need to be adjusted by -1 days to make them fall on the correct day of the week next year.
    2. We would need a way to import the 200+ rides initially into the calendar for the initial year. We store these in a SQL database now, but could easily create a CSV file.
    3. Provide a link to a GPS files for most of the scheduled rides
    4. We have about 15 rides that repeat every week, it would be nice to have these included with the single occurrence rides. The time for the rides change twice a year.
    Hopefully you can support all of these needs.
    Thank you,
    Jay

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Jay,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I’d be happy to answer your questions.

We have about 200 rides that reoccur every year. We need a method of rolling these all forward to the next year, and adjusting the dates to make them line up on the correct day of the week. For example Oct. 1 is a Sunday this year. Next year Oct. 1 is on a Monday. So all the rides would need to be adjusted by -1 days to make them fall on the correct day of the week next year.

Assuming that you would like to set up the events once, and only for the current year, then all move them forward to the next year with the proper day adjustment, then we have a plugin that could help you move the events. Please note though that this plugin is mostly intended for developers and we do not provide support for it. But it works.

The other option is updating the events one-by-one, but I understand that is very time consuming.

Or with the use of Events Calendar PRO you can set up recurring events with different recurrence rules, like monthly, weekly, yearly, custom rules. I believe this could be an option for most of the events.

I’m glad you shared the above “Oct 1” example. Since the event would move to September in the next year, the only way to set that up would be with a custom rule.

We would need a way to import the 200+ rides initially into the calendar for the initial year. We store these in a SQL database now, but could easily create a CSV file.

It is absolutely possible to import data from CSV files. The following 2 articles will give you more details on the what-and-how of it:

Provide a link to a GPS files for most of the scheduled rides

Not quite sure what you mean by GPS files, but if you enter a venue with the proper details for an event it will show a google map on the event page, plus a link to the Google Maps page itself. You can check it out here.

You also have the option to use longitude and latitude coordinates instead of address if you’d like.

We have about 15 rides that repeat every week, it would be nice to have these included with the single occurrence rides. The time for the rides change twice a year.

This could be handled with recurring events that’s a part of Events Calendar PRO.

To summarize, our basic plugin The Events Calendar can deal with the basics you need, and with some manual work you can change the event dates.

Events Calendar PRO will help you set up the recurring events for the 15 rides and for the yearly rides as well.

If you do not wish to set up the yearly rides as recurring events, then a developer plugin can help you with moving them from year to year.

I hope this answers your questions and if you have more, then let them come. 🙂

Cheers,
    Andras

Jay

What I meant by a GPS file was really a link to our RideWithGPS Library for a specific ride, which sounds like you can do that. We’d just want to include a link like this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19282433 to the details for a ride.
    I started to think that maybe the best thing for us would be to hire you to create this for us, rather then us (me) spending time doing this ourselves. TheCheltenham website calendar, http://www.cheltenhamandcounty.cc/calendar/, is pretty close to what I’d want. We’d swap twitter for facebook and probably want clicking on an entry to go to a ride detail page rather then Google Calendar.
    Here’s a link to our current schedule that I’d like to replace to give you an idea of the info that we’d want to include in the ride description. http://ebcrides.org/net/Schedule-CE.aspx
    If this all seems feasible to you, then we can continue the discussion.
    Jay

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Jay,

The GPS url can be easily included. With EC Pro you have the possibility to add additional fields to the events, it could be done through that without coding.

Thank you for the offer. The development projects we take on start around $20.000 – $30.000.

For smaller projects I can share with you a list of independent freelancers who are known in our community but are not affiliated with us. Feel free to reach out to them.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Calendar’ is closed to new replies.