Event Aggregator Won't Import – Fatal Error

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event Aggregator Won't Import – Fatal Error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gregg
    Participant

Hi,

All plug-ins are updated, but the Event Aggregator won’t import Facebook events. This issue is new since the last release.

1. When I complete the complete the form, and click Preview, the event content is retrieved and previewed.

2. When I click Import All (1), this message appears.
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function utf8_decode() in /home/ptown2/public_html/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/common/src/Tribe/Meta/Chunker.php on line 423

3. The imported events appear in the History list, but the corresponding events doesn’t exist.

Screenshots attached.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Gregg,

I’m sorry about this importing issue.

Does this happen with any Facebook feed that you try to import or only one?

Can you share with me some urls of feeds which produce this issue, so I can test it as well?

Thanks,

Andras

Gregg
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Gregg,

This looks like a unique issue, I haven’t seen any reports like this yet. I understand how frustrating this must be. I’ll do my best to help you solve this as fast as possible.

Thanks for sharing those urls with me. I ran a test with them and I didn’t get the error response, all of them imported fine. So let’s try to dig a bit deeper to find out what is happening. There are several things we can do.

Step 0: please do a full database and file backup, just in case. Or if you have a staging site which is a copy of your live site and produces the same issue, that’s even better.

1. The function the error message is referring to should be located in the following file:
    wp-content\plugins\the-events-calendar\vendor\ForceUTF8\Encoding.php

on line 329 as a “protected static” function. The error message gives me the notion this is missing, so as a first step: deactivate The Events Calendar plugin and then delete it. Then reinstall it from the .org repo, possibly Plugins > Add new is the fastest way. Then activate it and check if you still get the error message.

If this doesn’t solve it, then…

2. Deactivate all plugins except for The Events Calendar and switch to a default theme like twentysixteen and see if you still have the issue. (Here’s a link to our conflict testing guide, which goes into a bit more detail.)

Let’s start with this and see where it gets us. Meanwhile I’ll also ask around if anybody has an insight.

Cheers,
    Andras

Gregg
    Participant

took all suggested step – still not importing.

Next steps?

Additionally, I can’t upgrade to 4.5.5 and 4.4.11 (Pro) because the upgrade mangles my events listing pages.

Thanks Gregg

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Gregg,

I’m sorry there is no improvement on this so far. Let’s dig further so we can get to the bottom of this.

the upgrade mangles my events listing pages

What do you exactly mean by this?

These upgrades might contain the fix that is needed, so it might be worth fixing that update first.

took all suggested step – still not importing

So after re-installing The Events Calendar and deactivating all other plugins, plus switching to a default theme, when you run an import you are still getting the error message?

If yes, then please check if this file exists:
    wp-content\plugins\the-events-calendar\vendor\ForceUTF8\Encoding.php

and that starting on line 329 you have the following code present:

protected static function utf8_decode( $text, $option ) {
    if ( $option == self::WITHOUT_ICONV || ! function_exists( 'iconv' ) ) {
    $o = utf8_decode( str_replace( array_keys( self::$utf8ToWin1252 ), array_values( self::$utf8ToWin1252 ), self::toUTF8( $text ) ) );
    } else {
    $o = iconv( "UTF-8", "Windows-1252" . ( $option == self::ICONV_TRANSLIT ? '//TRANSLIT' : ( $option == self::ICONV_IGNORE ? '//IGNORE' : '' ) ), $text );
    }

return $o;
    }

Will be waiting.

Cheers,
    Andras

Gregg
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Gregg
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Gregg
    Participant

Hi – any update. I started this support thread on 6/12, and before that there were issues with this feature due to previous releases. I’ve been without this feature working for about 1 month.

Thanks Gregg

Patricia

Hi Gregg,

We are very sorry about this issue you are still experiencing!

Regarding the PHP Fatal error you are getting: call to undefined function utf8_decode()

This function is part of the PHP XML parser and you probably don’t have this extension included in your minimum PHP package. You might ask to your sys-admin to install this package for you. If your server is running with Ubuntu (based on your system information – PHP 5.6 + Apache), run these:

sudo apt-get install php5.6-xml
    sudo service apache2 restart

You will find further information about this PHP extension and the utf8_decode() issue in the following links:

https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ref_xml.asp

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38337444/function-utf8-encode-undefined

After installing this extension your problem should be solved.

Let us know if you need anything else and we will be happy to assist!

Regards,

Patricia

Gregg
    Participant

Hi,

1. I was able to install the parser and the Facebook import feature is working. thank you for your help.

I will say that getting a resolution to this issue was a bit frustrating since I haven’t been able to use the import feature since late May.

2. The display issue has not been resolved. I responded to Andras last question (below) on June 23, over 2 weeks ago, but have not yet received a response. Please have him respond.

Thank you
    Gregg Almquist

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Gregg,

Sorry for the radio silence, I was limited to do some travels.

I’m happy to hear Patricia was able to give you a solution. Awesome!

By the display issue I guess you mean the event list getting all jumbled with an update. Not exactly sure why this is happening. It might have something to do with the theme, it maybe is not adjusted for the latest version of our plugins, but not sure.

I can run some test and investigate the issue deeper if you can share with me your themes and plugins folder and a database dump, so I can set it up locally. Could you zip those up and share them via some cloud service?

Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

I checked the demo site of Eventica with The Events Calendar.

There they are running older versions: TEC 4.3.3 and ECPRO 4.2.4

Quite a number of things have changed since then so likely the theme hasn’t been updated to work with the newest versions. In this case I would recommend you to get in touch with the theme authors and check with them if they can do an update.

Still, if you can share with me folders and database, then I can investigate further, though likely this is the issue.

Cheers,
    Andras

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Aggregator Won't Import – Fatal Error’ is closed to new replies.