errors when importing .ics files.

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator errors when importing .ics files.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    inkmouse2
    Participant

I am trying to import the months events from another site using Modern Tribe’s events calendar. When I try to import the months events .ics, I am receiving an error occurred in upload. Please try again later. Not sure what the problem is. How would I find the ical url? Maybe this would be easier, but I’m not sure how to access it.

Thank you,
    Stacey

Cliff

Hi Stacey. Could you please provide me a screencast of what you’re trying to accomplish? You can share screencasts/screenshots with us by uploading to a free service and sharing a link. Several good options include:

You may choose to set your reply to “Private” if you don’t want the links to be as publicly-accessible.

Additionally, please provide me the links for both the site you’re wanting information FROM and the site you’re trying to run the import TO.

Once I get this information, I should be able to help further.

Thank you.

inkmouse2
    Participant

This reply is private.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by inkmouse2.
    Cliff

I think I understand the situation. You are trying to upload your iCal file (.ics) to your WordPress Media Library, which is not how to use the iCal Importer.

Please follow the iCal Importer New User Primer documentation carefully to get started with the iCal Importer.

Please let me know if you need any further help getting started with the iCal Importer.

inkmouse2
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

I understand better now. Thank you. However, could you please use a service like Jing video recording or CloudApp gif/video recording so I can watch how it’s working for you? (Links provided in a previous reply)

Thank you.

inkmouse2
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks for the screencast!

Could you please add this code snippet to your active theme’s functions.php file (without the ‘<?php’ part, which is added to the gist solely for syntax highlighting purposes) and copy and paste the ‘var_dump’ results here?

Gist: https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/f4f775d360aeca82e6a2

Thank you!

inkmouse2
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks! You definitely did it correctly (and please make sure to now remove that bit of code from your functions.php file).

do see .ics as an allowed file upload type so now we know that’s not the issue.

Here are a couple ideas:

1. You might try deactivating all non-Modern Tribe plugins and activating a WP default theme like Twenty Fifteen and seeing if the issue is resolved.
    2. I saw from your screencast that you do have other .ics files uploaded to the Media Library. Maybe there’s a problem with the specific .ics file you’re trying to upload? You could try running it through an iCal validator (e.g. http://severinghaus.org/projects/icv/ but not guaranteed by us) and see if there are any issues.
    3. If you’re still experiencing the issue after #1 and #2, maybe upload the .ics file to your server via SFTP and then use the “iCal URL” option instead of the “.ics File” option and see if it works that way.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

inkmouse2
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks for the info and the screenshot and your patience as we try to figure this one out.

Which site are you trying to import events from?

===

If you upload your own .ics file to your web server (e.g. via SFTP or via cPanel File Manager or another method), then you’d copy the link to the file, like http://mysite.com/wp-content/my-ical-file.ics and enter that URL into the iCal Importer… just like if the .ics file lived on someone else’s server and you know the location of the file.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

inkmouse2
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I’m trying to take the events from:

http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/events/

Thank you,
    Stacey

Cliff

That site is also using The Events Calendar. See the “Export month’s events” button in the lower-right corner of the calendar? Copy that link (which is http://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/events/?ical=1&tribe_display=month) and paste that in the iCal Importer’s “iCal URL” field.

I hope that’ll give you what you’re looking for! 🙂

inkmouse2
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

Looks like everything is working ok now with the url. Even imported events from a different events site to make certain everything was working correctly. Thank you so much for your help, and have a wonderful Christmas!

Thanks again,
    Stacey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘errors when importing .ics files.’ is closed to new replies.