Duplicate events

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Duplicate events

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas
    Participant

Hello!

I believe I’m having a similar issue described on this thread:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/importer-not-importing-for-the-set-recurrence-imports-duplicates/

I’ve set up an ical import and set the frequency to “Hourly” but it is importing duplicate versions of the same event. Is this the intended behavior of the frequency option? It seems like this option should be removed completely until a fix is found, unless I’m missing something about how it is supposed to behave.

George
    Participant

Hey Nicholas,

I’m really sorry about this – it’s not quite “intended” behavior, but this is a known bug and we are working hard to fix this!

Just out of curiosity, can you share your site’s “System Information” with us? Here’s how to do that → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Thank you!
    George

Nicholas
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nicholas
    Participant

No problem. What is the timeline on getting a fix for this. This is a pretty serious bug for a paid add-on. I have a client who I have already promised this feature to and having it work in this way is a pretty big issue. Thanks!

George
    Participant

Thanks for this System Information @Nicholas – things look good so I don’t think there’s a problem at core here other than our known bug that I mentioned previously.

I agree with you about this being a relatively show-stopping bug, and we’re working hard on a fix for this. I don’t have a specific ETA but we are hoping to get some maintenance releases out the door before Halloween!

Nicholas
    Participant

Hello,

Has there been any updates to this issue?
    Thanks!

Nicholas

George
    Participant

Not at this time, unfortunately 🙁

I will close up this thread for now because this is not a bug that we’ll be able to address before Halloween like previously hoped for, and in fact this may take quite some time to truly improve.

I’m sorry @Nicholas!

Nicholas
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey @Nicholas,

I appreciate your thoughtful reply even though you’re so disappointed with things, and rightfully so. I agree that these features are quite essential to the plugin…

However, I did some deeper digging with this issue (for which I’m somewhat sorry about, as it led to this delayed reply of mine!), and have not been able to reproduce this behavior consistently.

1. If possible, can you share your iCal file or feed URL directly? I will try to replicate your problems.

2. Next, just to be 100% certain, when the import runs hourly are the imported events any different whatsoever than their pre-existing versions? Anything about the titles, source, dates, description, organizer, anything at all that is different about these events?

3. Finally, for now, does duplication happen for you with every single event with no exceptions, or do you find any events on your/your client’s site that don’t suffer from this duplication issue?

Thank you for your patience with this @Nicholas.

Nicholas
    Participant

Thank you for continuing to work on this to find a solution.
    I’ve consistently recreated the problem on the live site and my local version.

1. Here is the ical address:
    http://www.omahype.com/api/v1/events/ical?api_key=73eb313df5c43a0b40ee5a5d5971126f6a10bf3704ae7bb9670889f0ccba826d91cb0866b80915089fe68a27a12ee43366b95d04686c8910272f966ac6cce3b7

2. I have not seen examples that are different in any way AND considering it was reimporting EVERY event every time, I don’t think that is the issue

3. This is a little difficult to confirm because the calendar we are pulling the events into is also being populated by other sources, mainly directly adding other events, but I have not found any exceptions. Will continue to check this and let you know if I find any exceptions.

George
    Participant

Thank you for your patience here @Nicholas; and for the patience of your client(s).

I have set up hourly imports and will pay close attention to the behavior on my site to try and replicate these problems.

Thank you!
    George

Nicholas
    Participant

Just wondering if there have been any updates? Any luck tracking down the issue?

George
    Participant

Hey @Nicholas,

Well, our code does already do some checking for existing events to manage duplicates and such – so in some sense we’ve boiled the issues down to the fact that our code is turning up false positives and/or just not matching things accurately period.

This behavior itself, however, is a bit hard to figure out, so we’re still working on it.

I’m sorry @Nicholas! We’re juggling working towards a 4.0 release for The Events Calendar and also managing bugfixes like this – speaking of which, if you’d like to try the 4.0 beta code, you can get started by checking out http://betas.theeventscalendar.com – there are “how to” guides there on how to get started with the code and such.

Cheers!
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Duplicate events’ is closed to new replies.