Doubts about Modifying php files.

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Doubts about Modifying php files.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Xavier

Hello everybody…

We’re developing a site in WP for a music club wich requires The Events Calendar pluggin.

We should get the url field became a “Buy tickets” botton redirected to a tickets page . As indicated in this link:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/adding-a-buy-now-button/

On the other hand We need to create a dropdown in the header of the list of events to search by type of concert or session , as shown in this link::

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/filter-bar-having-dropdown-for-the-search/

We would like to change the visualization of events as stated in this link:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/themers-guide/

We Would like to know if after modifying the php files these changes will remain throughout the updates.

Thanks for your time!

Geoff

Hi Xavier,

Good question! If you follow the instructions in the Themer’s Guide and the tutorial, then those changes will be done via template overrides in your theme folder which means the changes will not be lost on plugin updates. In other words, the work you do will be stored in the theme folder itself, so the plugin updates will have no effect on that changes. 🙂

Does this help answer your question? Please let me know. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Xavier

Thanks so much for you answer.
    But it seems to have happened What we’re afraid of.
    After updating the pluggin all the changes in php files (list-widget.php and single-event.php from the “list” folder) have dissapeared.

Could you tell us if We have done anything wrong?

Thanks for your time.

Geoff

Hi Xavier,

If those files wee lost, it was likely due to one of two things:

• They were modified directly in the plugin directory and a plugin update wiped them out
    • They were modified in the theme directory and a theme update wiped them out

The best practice would be to make a child theme for your theme, create a tribe-events folder in there and place any template overrides directly there.

Do either of those scenarios sound like what possibly happened before?

Thanks!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hi Xavier,

It looks like my first reply was marked as the correct answer, but I’m not sure whether you marked it or someone else did, so I’ll leave this thread open longer in case you have any other questions here about template overrides.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Xavier

Sorry for the misunderstood Geoff, but it was not me, i haven’t marked the answer as the correct one. So We’re gonna follow your instructions and see what’s happen. I’ll tell you something asap. Thanks!

Geoff

You bet, thanks for following up!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Doubts about Modifying php files.’ is closed to new replies.