Daylight Savings Time Displays Incorrectly in Future

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Daylight Savings Time Displays Incorrectly in Future

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sherrill Figuera
    Participant

This is a follow-up to:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/daylight-savings-bug-still-there/

I’m having exactly this problem, and I wanted to know if it was ever resolved. I generally do not post references to other posts, but that one was closed pending a fix with no status in about a year.

I need to fix this before we have an Events Calendar mutiny from our users!

You can see this problem by comparing (1) and (2) below. (1) is before DST ends and (2) is after it ends. They are both part of the same recurring event.
    (1) http://wattsstreet.org/event/wednesday-night-church-supper-4/2017-11-01/
    (2) http://wattsstreet.org/event/wednesday-night-church-supper-4/2017-11-08/

Krav Maga
    Participant

I am having the exact same problem. I’m setting up the calendar as a class schedule. starting in january I enter the class and say to repeat for one year at 10am. When daylight time kicks in the class shows 1 hour early. after daylight time ends it shows the correct time again. Why does daylight time even matter? I have read the other threads on this subject and have the settings set just like they have been indicated to be set by András in the the first thread listed in the above post.

all dates before march 12, 2017 are correct. all dates after are incorrect until November 11 when they become correct again. here is a link to the site we are building. http://test.kravmaga-sf.com/events/ I only have one class entered until I can get this problem solved.

I posted here because it looks like Sherill and I have the same issue.

Krav Maga
    Participant

In addition I’m starting the class at the beginning of the year January 7th 2017, and have the class repeat until January 6th 2018.

Krav Maga
    Participant

OK I added a few more classes just to see if it would repeat the problem. it does.
    http://test.kravmaga-sf.com/events/

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Sherrill, hello Krav Maga,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry this DST thing is affecting you too. I will do my best to help you with this.

The only setting combo I managed to recreate this issue was having WordPress timezone on UTC-4 and having the event on ‘New York’, using the ‘Sitewide timezone’ setting.

Or the other way around, WP on ‘New York’, event on UTC-4 and using ‘Sitewide’.

If this one of the above is your current setting, then I recommend to change it. Best option is having ‘New York’ for both, as that follows the summer time change.

If you already have your settings like that, then it would be great if you could share a full database dump with me so I can fire it up and dig around to see if I can find something.

@Krav Maga, could you please also share your system information? Since you didn’t start this thread you will not be able to paste it here. I either recommend sharing it in a txt file through some cloud service, or opening a separate thread referencing this one.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Sherrill Figuera
    Participant

Andras:

On our site (wattsstreet.org) we have WP timezone setting = ‘New York’ and EC timezone setting = ‘use sitewide timezone everywhere’ and we still have the problem. I’ve tried toggling the EC timezone setting and it does not fix the problem.

Let me clarify one thing: on our recurring event on Nov. 8th (the first occurrence after the end of DST) the calendar entry reads: “NOVEMBER 8 @ 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT” which I think is *technically* correct because it is displaying the time as EDT presumably because we are currently (at this very minute) in EDT. My guess is that if today’s date was Nov. 6th or later, this same entry would adjust to displaying in EST. The problem comes if people look ahead on the calendar to see what time something is in the future. However, normal humans don’t look for and adjust for EDT vs. EST. It is my opinion that the defect (which is not a technical defect but a usability defect) is that times displayed for dates following the end date for DST need to be displayed in what the time *would be* then. So after Nov. 5th, the presentation layer of EC should be taking the database values and displaying them as EST regardless if we are currently in EDT or EST. Thoughts?

I’d be happy to give you a database export, but I know neither how to do that nor how to get that to you in a secure way. Please advise.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Sherill,

Thanks for getting back to me on that and sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Two notes I would like to make.

Apart from the wp timezone and the EC timezone setting what also matters is the timezone of the event. That also must be set to New York (or the appropriate city, and not UTC based).

Here are two screenshots: good and bad setting for event, in the above case.

Also here you can check the test event I set up with wp and event timezone as New York and EC setting to “sitewide”: https://tec.andrasguseo.com/event/dst-checking/all/

I will have DST end this Sunday, so we’ll see how that plays out. 🙂

A note on EDT vs. EST showing, we are aware of this issue and a fix in on the way. It needs to be tested and if all goes well, it will come with the next maintenance release in a week or two.

Reg. the database export, this plugin should help you create one. And you can share it through any cloud service. You can share the link here in a private reply.

When creating the export you don’t need to worry about the URL find and replace part. Just keep them as they are.

Cheers,
    Andras

Sherrill Figuera
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Sherrill,

Thanks for reporting back to us.

I absolutely understand your frustration about this issue. I also want to let you know that we are doing everything we can to help you resolve this. Sometimes resolving issues goes fast with the change of a setting, sometimes it takes longer, as we need to find the source – usually with the help of our users like yourself – of this issue, develop a fix, thoroughly test is (so we don’t introduce new bugs).

The Timezone Abbreviation issue has been resolved in the last maintenance release which shipped last week. Updating to the latest version will not change / update your current events automatically. This cannot be easily and safely executed within a plugin update.

To fix the timezone abbreviation of your current recurring events you will need to open the event for editing and make a small change in the basic event data (the easiest is changing the start or end time), update it, then change it back (if needed) and update again. This change is needed so that the data for the recurrences is regenerated.

And an important note, this will only be visible, if you have Events > Settings > General tab > Timezone mode set to ‘Use local timezones for each event’.

I hope this will help you get that fixed so your site can shine bright and with correct data to your visitors.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. I’m more than happy to help you.

Cheers,
    Andras

Sherrill Figuera
    Participant

It’s still wrong. It now shows the EST, but it did not move the time back
    one hour.

Take care,

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Hi There!

Just wanted to share with you that a new release of our plugins is out, including a fix for this issue 🙂

Find out more about this release —> https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-week-25-march-2018/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Daylight Savings Time Displays Incorrectly in Future’ is closed to new replies.