Control visibility of sidebar widgets

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Control visibility of sidebar widgets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

I using the Event Calendar Pro with a genesis based theme on wordpress 4.3.1. I want to control the visibility of the widgets (using the visibility button on the widgets) that appear on the Event Calendar Page. I’ve tried filtering by page, category and taxonomy, but none work for the main calendar page.

any ideas?

Cliff

Hi Eric. Thanks for the detailed request.

To my knowledge, Genesis doesn’t add the widget “Visibility” button; Jetpack does.

Jetpack’s widget visibility settings cannot control display on our plugin’s Calendar/archive or Single/event pages at this time.

However, I did make a plugin for you (and others who have asked). Download this .zip, install and activate it as a new WordPress plugin, and it’ll add new widget areas that you should be able to leverage for your needs: http://cl.ly/1L1Y0M0L2X07

Here are some screenshots:

[caption id="attachment_1011738" align="aligncenter" width="665"]1- New Widget Areas 1- New Widget Areas[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1011739" align="aligncenter" width="665"]2- Above Calendar 2- Above Calendar[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1011740" align="aligncenter" width="665"]3- Below Calendar 3- Below Calendar[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1011741" align="aligncenter" width="665"]4- Above Event Single 4- Above Event Single[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1011742" align="aligncenter" width="665"]5- Below Event Single 5- Below Event Single[/caption]

Please let me know if it meets your needs.

Eric
    Participant

Thanks Cliff

this is helpful and I will be using it, but not exactly the solution I need.

I want to add a text widget (descriptive text and calendar related links) to the sidebar, that only appears when the calendar or events are visible. I want it on the sidebar to match similar widgets on other pages on the site. Jetpack’s visibility option works for pages or categories on other pages, and works for events but not for the calendar page.

Geoff

Hi Eric,

Just chiming in here while Cliff is taking some much-deserved time off. 🙂

Have you tried setting your calendar to use one of your theme’s templates instead of the default events template? You can do that under Events > Settings > Display (screenshot). If you set it to a template that is included in your theme, then that should allow you to control the widget settings for the calendar the same way as any other page that uses the same template.

Please give that a shot and let us know if it helps.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Eric
    Participant

Yes, I have tried the themes’ templates but that does not resolve the issue. What I want is, to have a sidebar widget only appear when the event calendar is displayed. the Visibility function works for other pages, but not the “event” page.

Tim
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff

Hi Eric, thanks for following up!

Just to clarify: the calendar itself is an “archive” rather than a “page.” The reason that’s important is that it makes a difference in your Jetpack Widget Visibility settings.

In fact, we have an article on how to set up a sidebar on the calendar archive with Jetpack. Will you please review that and make sure your settings match those in the article and confirm that with me? Thanks!

@Tim, thanks for chiming in with a private reply here. Will you please open a new thread? Your question is different than the one Eric is asking here and addressing it in a new thread will make things easier to follow and make sure the conversation stays on track. In the meantime, however, please check the Events > Settings > Display area and there are advanced template options that allow you to add content to the top of the calendar, including your PDF.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Cliff

Tim, this has been published as an official extension. Please delete the old plugin and install the extension instead: https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/calendar-widget-areas/

I hope it works very well for you and others!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Control visibility of sidebar widgets’ is closed to new replies.