Community Events interface devastated following update

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Community Events interface devastated following update

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Singer
    Participant

Following an update of the Events Calendar plugins to our site today, the Community Events interface which allows visitors to enter events to our calendar has been devastated. Most formatting has been lost, and other errors introduced render it totally unusable. This has never happened to-date so completely.

The screenshot here shows partly what this interface looks like now, just following the update. To see how this formatting should look, I can refer you to our introductory calendar video online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-aQaE0r3Q, from 2:05-2:48.

Please help urgently, thank you. If no other urgent help is available, then please advise how we can revert this to the version before the update.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for reaching out again!  I’m so sorry that your site is not working after updating Community Events.  Let’s see if we can get you up and running as quickly as possible!

Although I can’t log in to your Add Events page, when I look at your site, I am seeing some error messages related to your theme.  So, as a first step, let’s try to rule out if there is some type of conflict at play.
    This is usually because of:

1.    A conflict with another plugin

2.    A conflict with your WordPress theme

3.    A template customization for the Events Calendar that requires updating

When it comes to that type of issue, it is preferable to troubleshoot in a staging environment if you have one.

A first quick test is to simply temporarily revert back to a default WordPress theme such as twenty-sixteen to see if the issue persists.

The next step would be to go through our testing for conflicts procedure (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/) and let us know what you find out.

Basically the goal here is to revert back to a bare WordPress installation to see if the problem persists. It also allows us to pinpoint what the cause of the issue is.

But, before you do that, there are 2 things I would advise:

1.    Make a backup of your database

2.    Consider activating a “Maintenance Page” plugin if you are doing this on your live site (to minimize impact on your visitors)

Let me know how that goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

Patricia OHara
    Participant

This same thing happened to me and its because there was a change to the function that writes up the Category picker on the form.

If anyone had followed the recommended steps to customize the form page, they will see this problem.

You can solve it by reverting back to the original form (remove the override from your theme folder) or replacing

<?php tribe_get_template_part( 'community/modules/taxonomy'); ?>

with

<?php tribe_get_template_part( 'community/modules/taxonomy', null, array( 'taxonomy' => Tribe__Events__Main::TAXONOMY ) ); ?>

I’ll also note that there are some structural changes to the html (including css class name changes) so any custom css overrides may need to be updated…

This is kind of annoying to have to go fix this stuff when there is a plugin update.

Thanks for the suggestions, Patricia!

Andrew, let us know how it goes, and if you have any other questions along the way!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Community Events interface devastated following update’ is closed to new replies.