Category views no longer work after update

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Category views no longer work after update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Florian
    Participant

Hello support team,

I have a problem accessing the category view pages after updating to the latest WordPress- and The Events Calendar version, getting a 404 page when trying to open mydomain.com/events/ etc.

Opening an event directly works just fine (e.g. from the slider or upcoming events widget).

Hope, you can help me with that issue.

Best wishes
    Florian

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Thanks for emailing support.

Starting with version 3.5.3, WPML uses caching to offer awesome performance on multilingual sites.

With that in mind, sometimes this can also cause 404 error messages, especially after one of the following changes:

1. Upgrading one of our plugins
    2. Activating a WPML option such as “Custom post slug”

To resolve this, here is the recommended procedure:

1. Disable WPML custom slug translation (see step 6 above)
    2. Save the settings
    3. Re-enable WPML custom slug translation
    4. Save the settings
    5. Flush permalinks in WordPress under Settings > Permalinks > Save

These steps will flush the WPML cache and avoid 404s errors in the calendar.

If that still does not work, after a quick database backup, try deactivating and reactivating all plugins from the Events Calendar family (the Events Calendar and the Events Calendar Pro).

Thanks,
    Brendan

Florian
    Participant

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this does not help, because WPML is not installed as our site is not multi-lingual. Disabling and re-enabling the The Events Calendar plugin did not help es well. The 404 is still there.

Florian
    Participant

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this does not help, because WPML is not installed as our site is not multi-lingual. Disabling and re-enabling the The Events Calendar plugin did not help as well. The 404 is still there.

There are also no caching plugins installed.

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Thanks for the info.

Please refer to this: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/fixing-http-404-errors/

If none of these steps worked, here are a couple of other things to try:

1. Head over to Events -> Settings -> General and hit the “Save Changes” button
    2. Re-save your permalinks.

If none of this works, Try temporarily reverting back to a default WordPress theme such as twenty-seventeen to see if that changes anything.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Brendan

Florian
    Participant

Hallo Brendan,

I followed all of these steps, but nothing fixed the problem.

– no conflict with themes
    – no conflict with any plugin
    – 404-fix in functions did not work
    – I could not add the other function-snippet for diagnostics (https://gist.github.com/elimn/d3483854e8e9399e449e) as there is a syntax error when trying to save

As mentioned above, the 404 issue only appears for the calendar and category pages such as mydomain.com/events/ or mydomain.com/events/category/single-kategorie. Single event pages like mydomain.com/event/event-name load just fine.

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. The query function has some PHP that is not needed, try this one and paste it at the very bottom of your functions.php file.

https://gist.github.com/bskousen/2b5ead5747a64c3f985109284c3ffee3

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Florian
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

I added the snippet to the function.php.

As the problem still exists, what do you suggest now?

Best wishes
    Florian

Florian
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

as written before, unfortunately the problem still persists. This is for more then one week now and unfortunately very bad for our business. 🙁

So do you have any idea how to fix this?

Best wishes
    Florian

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Florian,

What happens if you disable the Event Rocket plugin? I know that was used at one point to help point pages correctly, however, it may not be needed or may be causing a conflict and not sure if you disabled that one when you disabled all the other plugins. Once you disable it, re-save the permalinks. There is a conflict somewhere or else these pages would work. Also, do you know if you have anything added to the .htaccess file for this site?

Thanks,
    Brendan

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Florian,

One other thing… can you check your views in Events ‣ Settings ‣ Display?

It looks like that may be an issue. Try enabling more views to display so that you can see the main calendar and categories.

Let me know if that works.

Thanks,
    brendan

Florian
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

wow. Your last suggestion fixed the issue. Thank you so much.

I activated more than our standard map view, saved, and then reactivated only the map view, saved again and … et voila. Wherever the issue came from …

Thanks and best wishes,
    Florian

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Florian,

So glad to hear!

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Courtney

Hi there

Just wanted to share with you that a new release of our plugins is out, including a fix for this issue ?

Find out more about this release →  https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-22-october-2018/

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience while we worked on this.

As always, we suggest to setup a dev/staging site so you can make all plugin updates without disrupting the live site.

Please update the plugins and see if the fix works for your site.

Thanks
    Courtney

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Category views no longer work after update’ is closed to new replies.