Captcha desperately needed. Received 200 spams just today!

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Captcha desperately needed. Received 200 spams just today!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    thomcoby
    Participant

Is there a captcha plugin that you could recommend to protect my calendar. I need to have the community be able to add events. I had anonymous turned off, yet still got 200 spams from barbour jackets. This is the first day that I have installed The Event Calendar. BTW, I love everything else. It is really done well.

Casey
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion! I noticed that you also suggested it on our Uservoice page, so I’ll propose this idea for a future release of Community. Of course I can’t make any guarantees as to if/when this functionality might show up, but I’ll keep you posted. Thanks!

Casey
    Participant

Thomcoby,
    We just released a new version of Community and added some new spam prevention techniques. Please update the plugin and let me know if you’re still noticing lots of spam submissions. Thanks!

Casey
    Participant

Thomcoby,
    I just wanted to check back in and see if you were able to update the plugin, and if you noticed a difference in the amount of spam submissions. Thanks!

Tim
    Participant

Casey, I am back to Modern Tribe.. Missed the Calendar , but hated the spam.. It was a daily battle with the community events. Today I re- installed everything and again I waited and watched one by one as they came. Is there a captcha plugin that you could recommend to protect my calendar. I need to have the community be able to add events. I had anonymous turned off, yet still got 100 spams got through. I even had it where I have to approve the events first.. but some how there getting through.. Is there a way that I even have to approve new users.. This is the first day that I have installed The Event Calendar. I went over to Timely Calendar for a while and did not have the spam issues. But I missed the functions that The Event Calendar pro & Community Provided. It is an awesome asset to every WordPress site. I can not afford the time or the chance of something slipping through. Some sort of security needs to be in place for users registering and submissions . Some sort of Captcha

Tim
    Participant

Yes running latest Version 3.1

Casey
    Participant

Tim,
    I’ll pass this feedback along to our developer for them to review. Since this is our first serious attempt at spam protection with Community, we’ll be aiming to improve this with each release.

I know that there are plugins that allow you to approve user registrations. Here’s one that looks pretty good, although I can’t verify it’s usefulness as I’ve never used it.

I know that’s not an ideal scenario, but hopefully as our spam protection gets better with each new release, you won’t need to do this.

Hope that helps!

Tim
    Participant

Thanks Casey

Tim
    Participant

Installed the “New User Approve” plugin only problem is that they still show up with other users in the panel. Don’t really see what it does.. or of help.. need some sort of CAPTCHA on the registration signup screen.. Today had 65 bogus signups that I had t deny and at the same time had to figure out what is liget.. I use the calendar for local events where the organizations signup. We all need CAPTCHA

Tim
    Participant

some one told me to try .. http://wordpress.org/plugins/captcha/ easy simple adds a number question on the WordPress Registration / Register For This Site .. Lets see if it works..

Tim
    Participant

Disregard the previous post .. This one come recommended by Google..
    WP-reCAPTCHA / Integrates reCAPTCHA anti-spam methods with WordPress including comment, registration, and email spam protection.
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-recaptcha/ I installed it lets see if it works.. hopefully.. very simple to install and register..

Casey
    Participant

Tim,
    Some of our other developers recommended this plugin (in spite of the goofy name!) for protecting your registration page.

Give that a try and see if you’re still having a problem with the spam users.

Casey
    Participant

Tim,
    Can you help us learn more about the spam posts? Is there any consistency to them, or anything we can learn from them?

Tim
    Participant

Month ago they would come from gmail address.. now some are comming from outlook.com address.. I deleted them all, but I will start posting them for you..

Casey
    Participant

Tim,
    I just had a thought, have you performed any template overrides to Community in the past? If so, you might have some outdated template files that would cause the spam protection to not be functioning correctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Captcha desperately needed. Received 200 spams just today!’ is closed to new replies.