Can't upgrade to latest version (again)

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Can't upgrade to latest version (again)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

The last time this happened I just kept trying everyday to update until it worked, but I’m not having any luck this time. This is the message I get:

An error occurred while updating The Events Calendar PRO: Could not copy file. events-calendar-pro/src/deprecated/Tribe_Events_Pro_Single_Organizer_Template.php

If it is “timing out” what can I do to fix it?

Nico

Hi Alan,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about this issue with updates!

For this cases we recommend performing a manual update of the plugins via FTP or WP-Admin. This should eliminate the file error.

Please give it a try and let me know about it,
    Best,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Alan,

I just reopened this topic because I believe it may be related to an issue I just discovered. Are you on a Windows server perchance? Are you able to “manually update” the plugins by deactivating them, deleting, then installing the latest version of the plugin ? If so I believe I just discovered the cause of this.

• Brook
    Alan
    Participant

Brook,

Yes I am on a windows server running IIS and plesk panel.

What is the fix?

Alan

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Alan.
    Brook
    Participant

Thank you for getting back!

Basically what appears to be happening is that when you update our plugin via WordPress in some scenarios you can run into MAX_PATH issues on Windows. WordPress creates a temporary directory when updating and puts all of the plugin files in it. But this can give you some crazy long file paths like this:

D:\Sites\eventscalendar.local\public_html\wp-content\upgrade\theeventscalendar.compu_request_pluginevents-communityversion4.2pu_get_download1pue_active_version4.1-xjMZdA\the-events-calendar-community-events\vendor\tribe-common-libraries\tribe-common-libraries.class.php

That is over 260 characters, and thus will fail in some situations. Technically Windows can support longer paths, but there are plenty of scenarios where it does not.

What we are planning to do is investigating shortening the temp dir’s name ( theeventscalendar.compu_request_pluginevents-communityversion4.2pu_get_download1pue_active_version4.1-xjMZdA ) as that is ridiculously long and it seems to be something we have a measure of control over. Once we have that shortened and a new update available for download, likely all you will have to do is hit update in WordPress only this time it will work.

Until then the solution I have been using is:

1. Go to WP Admin > Plugins
    2. Deactivate the plugin which has an update available
    3. Delete the plugin
    4. Manually install the latest version view the Add New button

That solution has worked well enough for me thus far. Is it working for you?

I apologize for the inconvenience and for it taking us so long to get to the bottom of this. This has been one of the hardest to isolate bugs we’ve seen, especially because it only impacted a small subset of Windows users.

Cheers!

– Brook

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't upgrade to latest version (again)’ is closed to new replies.