Can't have event post with sidebar with X theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Can't have event post with sidebar with X theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Piccia
    Participant

Hi there, loving the plugin. However, one small problem:
    I would like the event posts to have a sidebar, so we can advertise all the other things that the venue does. However, I cannot achieve this. If I have the event post with a sidebar, that mean the main events page calendar breaks nd instead of the calendar I get this:
    Find Events Event Views Navigation View As List Month Week Day Photo Events In Search Near Events for February 2016 Calendar Month Navigation « January March » Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday 1 2 3 4 5 6 Saturday breakfast & brunch 7 Sunday breakfast & brunch 8 9 10 11 12 13 Saturday breakfast & brunch 14 … Read More

I did this:
    – changed the global content layout in X theme customiser to Sidebar left, content right (the result is the same having tried also with the opposite)
    – in Events settings > Display I changed the Events template to Default Page template. This breaks the main events page that normally display the calendar, see above. Although it does allow me to get a sidebar on the single events posts.
    – so I changed it instead to Layout – Sidebar left, content right which also breaks the main page.

Basically the only way to get a single event post dispalying with a sidebar is by causing the main events page to display as broken.

What can be done to fix this? I really do want the sidebar on the single posts, but I do not want the main page to break.
    It would be ideal if within the event itself I could have a choice of layout, which disappointingly I don’t (it might be an X theme issue).
    Many thanks for an awesome plugin.

Piccia
    Participant

Just to clarify: The only way to NOT make the main events page break is to choose Default Events Template in the Events Settings> Display.

Which makes seem all the other wonderful choices rather redundant!

Cliff

Hi. Thanks for your question.

If I understand your question correctly, you want a widget area on the Event Single page/view but not on the Event Archive views (Month, List, etc)?

If you don’t want to get into coding, you might want to try a plugin like Custom Sidebars or Jetpack Widget Visibility (our KB article about it).

Please let me know how things go for you.

Thanks.

Piccia
    Participant

Ok I will try that, I know Custom Sidebars and it’s a good tool. However, what I don’t understand is why have the option to choose different layouts for the Events template, if they don’t actually work. The Events page is broken whenever I choose a template in the Event Settings that’s different from the Default Events template. It does seem like a bug.

However, if Custom Sidebars sorts it out then it’s all good! Will let you know how it goes.

Piccia
    Participant

BTW, I don’t use Jetpack – I am trying to use alternatives. However, the article is useful anyway so thanks.

Piccia
    Participant

Nope – sadly, it hasn’t worked.

The global settings for the default content layout are content left, sidebar right.
    I have created the sidebar that I want with Custom Sidebars and I have added it to the Event. I have updated. But it still shows without the sidebar.

At this point, the Events> Settings> Events template is set to Default Events template.
    If I change it to Default page template (which has the sidebar) then it does indeed show the sidebar that I want.

HOWEVER, yet again that breaks the main event page.

So I am back to square one: Custom Sidebars does not help me to have a sidebar on the single event, without breaking the main page, because it’s impossible to make the sidebar appear while using any other Events template than the Default Events page.

Choosing any other page template in Events> Settings> Events template inevitably breask the main event page.

So why is the drop-down even there? Not sure why I am given the chance to choose different page templates for the events posts, given that inevitably a different choice fro mthe default template will break the main calendar page.

Can you please let me know how to sort this out? Never thought having a sidebar on single events would prove so problematic.

If I need to code, fine but I will need guidance.

I do appreciate all your help.

Many thanks!

Piccia

Cliff

Thanks for your detailed testing, Piccia.

The option there definitely should be working. However, since it’s not please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

Obviously, if you switch to Twenty Fifteen theme, the problem should go away so I’d suggest following that guide looking for plugin conflicts (basically disable all plugins but keep your theme and see if that makes things better).

If you determine it to be only a theme conflict (still happens with all plugins disabled), I can try to help a little but please know that we don’t provide support for all third party themes, per our Scope of Support Terms.

If it is a theme conflict, please share your System Information. That will give me a lot of extra information to help diagnose the problem.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Piccia
    Participant

Thank you Cliff.

Yes it does seem to be a theme conflict: I have deactivated all plugins bar Events Calendar and the events page is still broken as described.

I will also ask in X theme forums and FB groups. I remember seeing posts by people using Events Calendar so someone may have a workaround.

What else can I do? I really would like for this to work.

Many thanks

Piccia

Piccia
    Participant

Ok, from a first quick look at the Theme.co support forums for X, there are definitely issues between Events Calendar Pro and X. I’ll wade through them and see.

It’s a shame though because X is an awesome theme and Events Calendar Pro is an awesome plugin. Wish they could play nicer to one another!

Cliff

Thanks for the update about X Theme. Generally, we say that if a theme follows WordPress coding standards, it should work, but I’ve heard good things about X and would like to give it the benefit of the doubt regarding coding standards so please let us know if you discover any specifics that’d help us get compatible with it.

Piccia
    Participant

There’s this thread

Which confirms my point regarding the templates one can use but doesn’t help me get my sidebar in the single event post. Blank pages don’t allow for sidebar so the sidebar disappears even if I have assigned it to the post with Custom Sidebars.

This is also an interesting thread

To be honest there are literally dozens, all on some issue of Events Calendar Pro that doesn’t work with X theme. I haven’t come across anyone mentioning the sidebar issue specifically yet.

Unfortunately the standard response is the one in this thread, whihc is similar to yours. So users, in the middle between theme and plugin developers, are left empty-handed.

You might find it interesting to see what this thread says.

I’ll check out EventsON – however, I paid $89 for this plugin, which is not cheap, so I really want to get this to work as it should.

Can you help? surely it would be in everybody’s interest if you can make it work with X?

Many thanks

Piccia

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Piccia.
    Piccia
    Participant

Hi there, can I just remind you that this is not sorted? The plugin was expensive, I persuadd the client to buy it and now they are not happy that it’s not working as it should.

Many thanks

Piccia

Cliff

Thanks for your research. I checked with the rest of the support team and we just don’t have specific integration for X Theme. Apparently we used to get quite a few threads about it (as you’ve discovered) but haven’t had such a demand for it in a while.

I’m not certain if any of the past threads will still work, since we’re now on v4 of our plugins (since Dec 2015), but of course you’re welcome to try!

We don’t guarantee support with non-default WordPress themes, per our Scope of Support Terms, and I’m guessing X Theme doesn’t specify compatibility with our plugins. Sometimes this happens working with multiple vendors…

If we have enough demand, we may be able to come up with some code to make things compatible (like a “bridge” plugin) but that’s not anywhere on the to-do list at this time so you’d need to resolve any incompatibilities.

I know this isn’t the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps explain things a bit more.

We definitely appreciate you.

Piccia
    Participant

Well, as you said it doesn’t help one little bit.

I spent hours tweaking the CSS to make it work with my site, but basically you are saying that this very expensive plugin will not do what my client wants it to do, and what we had a right to expect it would do right out of the box.

On top of this, the fact that you delayed your final answer by so long meant that I invested quite a bit more time on the CSS, which I definitely would not had done had I know earlier that you had no intention of making the plugin work for me.

I am extremely disappointed as you have basically sold me a plugin that cannot do something as simple as having a sidebar.

At least please don’t tell me that you appreciate me as that’s blatantly not true.

I’ll make sure everyone in the X community knows that you haven o interest in working with them.

Piccia
    Participant

Not only that, in the absolute certainty that you would of course find a solution to such a simple problem, I spent days setting up dozens of events. SO now even if I were to demand a refund from you and try and find a plugin that will work with X, I would still face having lost all of my work. And my client is very unhappy. Thanks a bunch, guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't have event post with sidebar with X theme’ is closed to new replies.