Cant add widgets to sidebars when ECP is active

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Cant add widgets to sidebars when ECP is active

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nigel
    Participant

Hi,

I can’t add new or update existing sidebars while my ECP is active.

When I deactivate ECP – the EC plugin works like a charm, and I can add the one widget that comes along with the free version.

Looking forward to your help – I want to be able to attach the This Week widget to my sidebars.

Additionally, the EC calendar widget only displays on a sidebar if ECP is deactivated. The moment I activate the ECP plugin, the widget stops appearing in real time

Regards,
    Nigel

Brook
    Participant

Howdy again Nigel,

I already helped you with some of this in the other topic. It sounds like the issue is that your page is loading too slow on the backend, and thus you can’t add widgets.

Additionally, the EC calendar widget only displays on a sidebar if ECP is deactivated. The moment I activate the ECP plugin, the widget stops appearing in real time

Events Calendar Pro replaces the basic widget with one of its own. If you have added the basic list widget, it will disappear with Events Calendar Pro activated. To fix this just add the new Advanced List Widget that appears with Events Calendar Pro active.

My main goal right now will be to get your backend page loading consistently/much faster than it currently does. Once we’re there we can hit any remaining issues if there are still some.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the mean time. If not please checkout your initial topic for my response: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/ecp-slowing-down-my-widget-page/

Cheers!

– Brook

Nigel
    Participant

Hey Brook,

Thank you for having the patience to visit both my posts. I was unable to find my initial post and hence posted a new one. The moment I did that, I realised it was listed on the side -_-

About the problem I’m facing; I realised my ECP is 4.2.4 – I’m going first to upgrade it and then see if the problem persists. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Once again,
    Thanks a ton,
    Cheers,
    Nigel

Nigel
    Participant

Hey Brook,

Could you help me out with how to upgrade to the ECP 4.2.5?

Regards,
    Nigel

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Nigel,

I would be happy to. In this case I would recommend a manual update. This tutorial will walk you through each step of that process:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/manual-updates/

I hate to just link you to a tutorial, but it covers exactly what you need in detail. Was that able to help you get updated?

Cheers!

– Brook

Nigel
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

Alright Nigel thank you so much for your patience. I did determine the cause of this. Your site has a considerably number of post tags. Our plugin makes each of them a selectable option in WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets . But there are thousands of them, and so all of those options on one page can be a bit much, causing the server to give up and stop outputting the page.

To fix this try pasting the following snippet at the top of your theme’s functions.php file. Replace the opening “<?php” with this snippet, as this snippet includes that opening tag.

https://gist.github.com/elimn/d023f0678a5800af74452c98673091dc

I just wrote that snippet for this issue. I believe it will solve the problem. I am also logging a ticket for us to find a more elegant solution in the future.

Does that all make sense? Did that work?

Cheers!

– Brook

Nigel
    Participant

Hey Brook,

Gonna give it a shot now. Will keep you posted!

Cheers,
    Nigel

Nigel
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nigel
    Participant

Brook,

I think there is some other issue causing this error. Looking into it, will get back once that is sorted and I try the code out.

Regards,
    Nigel

Brook
    Participant

Ooops! That was my bad. The code works great in the backend where I was testing it, but will cause fatals on the front end of your site. I just updated it to account for this:

https://gist.github.com/elimn/d023f0678a5800af74452c98673091dc

Would you mind trying out the updated snippet? That removed the fatal in my tests.

Cheers!

– Brook

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Cant add widgets to sidebars when ECP is active’ is closed to new replies.