Can I add Venue name from a customised ical feed?

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Can I add Venue name from a customised ical feed?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sally Richardson
    Participant

If a programmer I am working with is able to include an additional field for the venue name when he constructs the ical feed, will the Event Aggregator be able to bring in the Venue name? If so, what guidance do I need to give to the programmer on how to name that fee in the ical feed?

The majority of events in the feed will be at venues we already have on file. I am therefore hoping that if the venue name is present in the ical feed, and if the import can recognise it and add it to the event when it is imported, that a link will then be made between the event and the venue record. We will simply add any that are not already on file.

Alternatively, we will ask the programmer to include the venue name at the start of the standard ICS location field, but this will involve then having to amend every imported event to change the venue (if venue already on file) OR to move the address part of the incorrectly created venue down to the address fields.

Sadly they cannot use WordPress and Events Calendar at the source website – if they could have done so then of course we would be able to use the wonderful “Complete” new feed you are planning to offer.

It does seem crazy to me that event name is not a standard field in ICAL – ie separate from the location but there we go!!! Expect there is a good reason!

Your help on the first paragraph above, plus any more general words of wisdom, would be much appreciated!

Sally Richardson
    Participant

“It does seem crazy to me that event name is not a standard field in ICAL – ie separate from the location but there we go!!! Expect there is a good reason!” should have read venue name not event name!

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Is someone able to help me with this? Thanks!

Barry

Hi — our apologies for the delayed response: we’ve been experiencing higher than normal demand for support and have also had some changes on our team … unfortunately those things have conspired to set us back just a little.

This is certainly an interesting problem but, given we have to work within the limits of the iCal format, there isn’t too much we can do. However, what about this as a possible workaround (in a scenario where you can control both the source feed and the import site):

• Modify the iCal Location field such that it starts with the venue name rather than the street address – or append the venue name in square brackets or something similarly easy to identify
    • Within the site where the import takes place, hook into the creation of new posts and if you detect a venue is being created during import, inspect the address data and extract the venue name – amending the venue post accordingly

This is certainly custom development territory, so it’s really something we need to leave in your hands, but I hope that at least gives you another possible approach you might consider.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Thank you very much. I will try to find a developer who can do this for us.

Barry

Good stuff – and if you have any problems finding one, you may wish to check out this list 🙂

Thanks!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Can I add Venue name from a customised ical feed?’ is closed to new replies.