Calendar and List Not Displaying Correctly

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Calendar and List Not Displaying Correctly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I have the free plugin and Pro version installed and when I visit the calendar on my website the events do not display correctly. If it is helpful I can send screenshots or you can visit the site directly. This is what shows up:

Find Events Event Views Navigation View As List Month Week Events In Search Near Events for July 2015 Calendar Month Navigation August » Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 28 29 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Coltivare […]

I think it must be a theme conflict but I have used this theme and plugin before with no problem. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Anna

Geoff

Hi flourishdesignstudio–welcome back to the forums!

Oh wow, I see what you mean. Let’s figure this out.

First off, do you happen to have a page called Events when you go to the Pages tab from the WordPress admin? Be sure to delete that one if you do, because it could be conflicting with the page the calendar generates itself.

Secondly, do you have any customizations in place that may have been affected in the 3.11 update? You can check this by heading over to your theme file directory and seeing if there is a folder in there called tribe-events. If that’s there, try removing it (save a copy of it, for sure!) to see if that does the trick.

Lastly, I see you have tried the following:

Deactivated all other plugins? Yes
    Switched to a default theme? Yes

Did you notice any difference in these conditions? How about when switching to a default WordPress theme (like Twenty Fifteen) and deactivating all other installed plugins at the same time?

Let’s start with these and see what we find.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have not performed any customizations besides really simple css so I don;t think that is the problem. When I switch it to a different theme the calendar does seem to work but still does not look normal. I have used this theme in conjunction with your plugin on several other site with no problems so I am not sure what might be causing that. The event widgets seem to function correctly and everything in the backend looks good… it is just the events page that looks strange.

Also, I checked and I don;t have an ‘Events’ page in Admin<Pages so that shouldn’t be a problem either.

Is there anything else I can try or any insight you have about what might be wrong?

Thanks so much for all the help!

– Anna

Geoff

Hey Anna, thanks for giving those steps a shot and for the extra information!

Did you notice when the issue started happening? For example, did anything else change on the site that might have led to the issue? Or did you update the theme or any plugins right before it started?

Anything you can give me that might help explain how it went from working to not working would be a giant help!

Thanks so much,
    Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the response! No, the calendar didn’t work right out of the box before we added the other site plugins and CSS so I am not sure what might be different in this installation versus previous instances of the plugin. Would there be any benefit to uninstalling and reinstalling? I deactivated and reactivated in case that did anything and there seemed to be no difference.

I am really at a loss as to why this specific installation is having problems. Would having WP-managed hosting make any difference?

Thanks!

Anna

Geoff

All very good questions!

This may be a bit of a long shot, but will you please try the first suggestion in this tutorial? I have a very slight hunch this could be related to the need to flush permalinks, but that might be a stretch. Still it doesn’t hurt to try before getting knee-deep in something else!

The very well could be an impact with managed hosting since automatic updates are often a bundled feature of those packages. If the steps above don’t work, then I’m inclined to say we should test on a fresh site and see if we can replicate the same issue. I can walk you through that, so no need to do anything until we’ve tried the permalinks route.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It is definitely a theme issue…. I installed a fresh version of WP and the plugin as well as the theme that we are using (DMS). The calendar issue still remains and when I switch it over to the 2013 theme ithe calendar shows up correctly.

I have used past versions of both the calendar and theme together so my guess is that there is somehow now a problem with their compatibility. Unfortunately, I cannot access the functions.php file since the site is on managed WP hosting. Do you have any idea of why this might be happening? I can certainly give you accesss to this second striped-down site that I just set up if that is in any way helpful. The new site is http://542.e71.myftpupload.com/events/

Thanks so much for all the help! We are so looking forward to having the calendar events page working correctly and really appreciate all the pro features we hope to use!

Anna

Geoff

Thanks so much, Anna! Whittling this down to a theme issue is a HUGE help.

I wonder if one of the recent updates to the theme is conflicting with the most recent 3.11 updates of the calendar plugins. Are you able to try downgrading The Events Calendar and The Events Calendar PRO both to 3.10 to see if the previous version is still compatible with existing theme?

Thanks!
    Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Great, I will install the 3.10 version of pro but how would I get my hands on the 3.10 version of the basic plugin? Thanks!

Anna

Geoff

Good question and sorry about that! It’s over here:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/

Geoff

Okay,

I installed the 3.10 versions and again, it works in in 2014 but not in DMS. So then I installed the old version of the DMS theme that I know it works on from past projects and that didn’t work either. So…. this maybe means it is a problem with the hosting?

Is that even possible?

It always seems to be the actual event calendar page and not the individual events’ pages. For example, this doesn’t work: http://542.e71.myftpupload.com/events/ but this one does:http://542.e71.myftpupload.com/event/test-event/

Does that help at all?

Thanks!

Anna

Geoff

Geez, this is a head scratcher!

Here’s what we know so far:

• There are no pages that use the /events/ slug in your admin that would cause a conflict
    • The issue pops up when using The Events Calendar 3.10 and 3.11
    • The issue pops up in the theme you’re using but not TwentyThirteen
    • The theme and plugins have worked together in the past

These symptoms are typically the result of customizations in the calendar or updates to the theme, but we’ve ruled those out.

How about when all other plugins are deactivated? It’s another long shot, but just want to make sure we’re covering all our bases.

If the issue continues without plugins and nothing else has changed with the theme or customizations to the plugin, then the next target would certainly be the host. Are you able to send an inquiry to see if anything has recently changed on that end? Sorry to put you in a position to chase answers, but I’m really at a loss since we’ve ruled so many other possibilities out.

Thanks for your help!
    Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Yes, your analysis of our position seems correct… unfortunately.

I have disabled all plugins except the base plugin and pro plugin and the problem persists. I will contact GoDaddy managed hosting to see about what might be causing the conflict. Do you have a sense of anything specific I should be checking with them such as cacheing or permalinks?

Thanks again for all the help! So so so appreciated!

Anna

Michael
    Participant

i had the same issue. Switched the display to Default Events Template. from Default Page Template, and the calendar appeared again instead of the archived text. But now i do not and cannot have a sidebar on my events page unless i figure how to edit the template, as i guess it does not work with my default page template – but it did in version 3.93.
    There are also css issues with the new version as the bulleted lists are all left justified.

Geoff

Thanks for chiming in here, @Michael! Anna, does switching the display to the Default Events Template in Events > Settings > Display help at all?

Let’s try that before connecting with the host. 🙂

Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Calendar and List Not Displaying Correctly’ is closed to new replies.