Breadcrumbs and Page Titles

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Breadcrumbs and Page Titles

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your patience here.

It took me some significant amount of time to come up with something that would get breadcrumbs working on the Month View, but I’ve finally done it. 😀

Well, “working” isn’t quite right. I set up your theme and the breadcrumbs plugin on my local testing site and was able to verify that the breadcrumbs worked on all sorts of events pages…but for some reason, not ever on the Month View specifically.

I could not identify a specific reason for this no matter what I tried or what code I read through. Furthermore, the breadcrumbs plugin also doesn’t have many hooks like actions and filters, which would make modifying the breadcrumb output much easier.

So I put together a bit of code that basically just generates its own breadcrumbs from scratch.

Does that sound weird? It is a bit weird. But I’ve got it working well on my local site and it should work well for you, too!

Here’s how it works:

1. Breadcrumbs on every page other than the Month View are left totally alone. The List View breadcrumbs, for example, are not touched by this snippet at all. They just work as is. Same for breadcrumbs everywhere else on your site. This code only touches the Month View specifically.

2. On the Month View, this code generates its own Breadcrumb links in the same exact style as the ones provided by default by your theme and the plugin. Here’s a screenshot of the breadcrumbs on Month View when this snippet is activated, for example (click for a larger-sized image):

☝️ (My local site’s title is “Stable Support”, for context. Whatever the site title is will be used here.)

3. The snippet adds some CSS that makes the custom “fake” breadcrumbs look just like the “real” ones.

? You can find the custom code snippet I wrote for you in a Gist herehttps://git.io/vDRto

Simply copy this code in full and paste it into your theme’s functions.php file. It should work well from there.

We are not able to provide any support for this snippet, nor are we able to resist with further refinement of the appearance or behavior of this custom code. You will have to take the reins from here; but hopefully this helps you get started and works well! 😀

Please let me know if it does and if there are any other issues or questions I can try to help with.

Cheers,
    George

Joe
    Participant

Thanks George,

I get the following PHP error when adding the code and adjusting it to be suited to the theme’s PHP namespace.

Strict Standards: Non-static method Tribe__Events__Main::getLink() should not be called statically in /sommeliers/sa-site-content/themes/sommeliers/lib/extras.php on line 118

Also as per the original post in this thread, the Page Title and Page Header still remain blank.

Cheers,
    SWiM

George
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Writing that code is already above and beyond the standards of what we can do in this support forum, per the guidelines elaborated upon here: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/what-support-is-provided-for-license-holders/

It’s definitely not perfect but works very well for me and should work well for you. That PHP notice should be just that: a notice, not a “warning” or “error”. The code should not fail to work, in other words.

I would recommend tinkering with it and/or just replacing the bit in the snippet that calls Tribe__Events__Main::getLink() with a hard-coded URL to your site’s events page.

As for the empty HTML page title, I cannot recreate this. Here’s the title in the source code of your month view page, showing “Untitled” (click for a larger-sized image):

Here’s the title in the source code of my month view page, showing the month name and site title (click for a larger-sized image):

☝️ I am using your theme and the BreadcrumbNavXT plugins just like your site, so not sure what is happening here. You may find it useful to try the complete set of troubleshooting steps on this page → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/ After EACH STEP in that process, check back on your month view and see if the document title changes at all.

— George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Breadcrumbs and Page Titles’ is closed to new replies.