Auto Update Crashing Site

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Auto Update Crashing Site

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ray
    Participant

This morning we found our site down and after investigation looks like Events Calendar had updated overnight to 4.0.4. Last month we did try to update Events Calendar from the admin panel but it crashed the site as well, so we have specifically not been updating until we could troubleshoot.

We were able to deactivate the Events Calendar plugin via FTP and the site came back up. However, this afternoon the site went down again and we discovered that a new folder for the Events Calendar plugin was created automatically. I’m not sure how this could have happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Is there some kind of auto-update feature we need to disable? We also have Pro and Community installed. We are aware that updating to 4.0 prior to updating Community will break the site, which is why we have postponed updating.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the issues you are having. I can help troubleshoot this with you.

Do you have JetPack Auto Update Plugins feature on?

That is the only thing I can think of that does that. WordPress out of the box does not auto update plugins.

If you update Community Events or disable Community Events the site should not crash.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks

Ray
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. We’re not running JetPack or anything else I can think of that would allow for any plugin to auto-update. The strange part was that the entire Events Calendar folder was deactivated manually (renamed in the /wp-content/plugins folder) via FTP since we lost access to the admin panel. Later that day, a duplicate of that folder appeared and activated itself, crashing the site again.

Anyway, if we’re going to make the move to update all related plugins and hope for the best, can you clarify in which order we should proceed? For example, should we update Community and Pro to most current, keep deactivated and then update Events Calendar to most current then reactivate all?

The Events Calendar – Inactive
    Version 4.0.4

The Events Calendar: Community Events – Active
    Version 3.12.1

The Events Calendar PRO – Active
    Version 3.12.6

Just trying to avoid another issue, if possible.

Much appreciated!

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the information. If JetPack is not doing it I wonder if your host is doing it?

I have not run into this before so not sure where it is coming from.

Anyway, you will want Community Events and Pro and then reactive The Events Calendar.

Since the Events Calendar is deactivated you will have to do manual updates following this guide:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/manual-updates/

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Auto Update Crashing Site’ is closed to new replies.