All recurrences URL shows events earlier than current month by default

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO All recurrences URL shows events earlier than current month by default

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SiteCrafting
    Participant

After upgrading a site to ECP 4.0.3, going to the “View All” URL for a recurring event is displaying passed events by default, instead of the upcoming recurrences. If you click on the Next button, the view is refreshed with upcoming recurrence for that event. For example, an event with recurrences in January 2016 is showing past events from September 2015 when I first go the the see all view. After clicking next, the January 2016 events are displayed.

I’ve done a bunch of digging and came up empty handed, so I wanted to see if anyone on your team had any thoughts as to what’s causing this.

I’ve turned off all non-Tribe plugins and reverted to the Twenty Sixteen theme, but still see the same behavior. I’m curious if something went wrong with the upgrade. I had to upgrade all 3 Tribe plugins (The Events Calendar, ECP, and Filter Bar) manually due to our development environment setup. I deactivated them, replaced the plugin directories, then reactivated them. Everything else appears to be working fine.

I’ll follow up with a reply containing system info and an example link to help illustrate.

SiteCrafting
    Participant

This reply is private.

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Quick addendum. Going to the /all link I included in my private reply, clicking the “Next Events” link, and then clicking the “Previous Events” link gets you to what I would assume the default /all view should be. In case that helps with things.

George
    Participant

Hey @Sitecrafting,

Sorry to hear about this issue – it’s an odd one that I cannot recreate on my own testing site, so I’m curious about a few things to help further the investigation:

1. What are your site’s permalinks settings? (The seeting that is literally in “Settings > Permalinks” in your wp-admin, just to be clear). Are they /%postname%, for example?

2. Does anything improve if you go to Settings > Permalinks in your admin area, and just click “Save Changes” without actually making any changes? This may seem like an odd thing to do but is a little “trick” within WordPress to get the permalinks across your site to refresh, which might help here.

3. Does this affect every single recurring event on your site? Do you notice any recurring events that do not behave this way?

4. Similar to question #3, but just to make it clear as a separate step: if you make an all-new recurring event right now just for testing purposes, does this test-event have the same issue with its “View All” link?

The information from the above 4 questions will be very helpful here – let us know what you find for each item!

Thank you,
    George

SiteCrafting
    Participant

1) /%postname%/
    2) Unfortunately I had already tried flushing the permalink settings without success. Just tried it again for good measure without success.
    3) From what I can tell, it seems to affect every event with recurrences in the past and future.
    4) Yes, a newly-created event with recurrences in the past and future displays the same weird behavior.

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Could it have anything to do with the way I had to update the plugins? Do any of them rely on performing the complete update process from the WP back end, VS manually updating the plugin directories?

George
    Participant

Hey @sitecrafting,

Thanks for all of this information – updating manually via upload and stuff should not normally be a problem. Can you elaborate a bit on exactly what you did to install the plugins that way? Again, this shouldn’t be a problem, but since I still cannot recreate this problem I’m just curious to learn more in any way.

Thanks for your patience with this!

Sincerely,
    George

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Here’s my explanation of the upgrade process from my original post:

“I had to upgrade all 3 Tribe plugins (The Events Calendar, ECP, and Filter Bar) manually due to our development environment setup. I deactivated them, replaced the plugin directories, then reactivated them.”

Do you need any more details? If so, I could use some direction on any additional information I can provide.

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Also, adding a quick question. Are there any concerns I should be aware of if we choose to roll back to the 3.x versions of the plugin we were on previously? The site’s going to be launching very soon, and I’d rather roll this back for the moment until we can figure out what’s causing this to happen.

I just want to make sure there won’t be any additional issues related to rolling the code back (i.e. database conversion processes, etc…)

George
    Participant

Hey Sitecrafting,

Thanks for your updates here.

I would NOT recommend rolling back to earlier versions because that would vastly increase the surface area for more bugs and weirdness to occur.

So, then, what I would recommend from here sounds tedious but is actually a much quicker process than it first appears – to be specific, I recommend going through the complete set of steps in this article → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

After EACH STEP in that process, to the “Save permalinks” trick I recommended above, and then see if your issues here persist.

I recommend this process because I am still unable to reproduce this issue.

Please let me know what you find by doing these steps.

Thank you very much for your patience here. You mention needing to launch soon and with this in mind I will try to be checking this thread more often that I normally would. I’m sorry about these current issues on your site and the difficulty in tracking down why they’re happening; hopefully the steps I recommended above will move us closer towards a solution.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
    George

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Hi George,

I had already tried disabling all non-Tribe plugins and switching to one of the default WP themes. I just did so again, exactly as specified in the guide you linked to and flushed the permalinks settings after each step. It’s still happening unfortunately.

I will say that while I was waiting to hear back from you before, I tried reverting the site’s repo in my dev environment to the revision before I began the Events Calendar upgrade process and the /all links loaded as expected.

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Unfortunately we didn’t have time to wait any longer. I ended up rolling the plugins back, since that seems to be the only thing that fixes the behavior at the moment. I know you suggested not to, but there just didn’t seem to be any alternative at this point.

The site is launching early tomorrow, so once things are going smoothly I can work on setting up an environment where I can try to work out some solid repro steps. I’m assuming/hoping you’ll continue looking into it on your end as well?

Thanks for your help,
    Scott

George
    Participant

I’m baffled by this behavior Scott, and am very, very sorry to hear that this issue persisted and that you have had to roll back! 🙁 I’m so sorry Scott.

George
    Participant

I’m really sorry about the outcome of this thread, Scott – we will indeed keep investigating this and as soon as I can recreate the problem I will definitely be making a bug ticket and such for this.

Thank you for your patience, and for your politeness too despite the odd issue and its nullifying of the utility of our software on your site. Please let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, or if I can help with anything else.

Sincerely,
    George

SiteCrafting
    Participant

Just thought I’d check in to see if there was any news on your end, plus I wanted to make sure this thread doesn’t get closed automatically. Nothing on mine yet, but I haven’t been able to do much in the way of investigation since my last message.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘All recurrences URL shows events earlier than current month by default’ is closed to new replies.