Additional fields not appearing, venues not showing

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Additional fields not appearing, venues not showing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Yorgos

Hi

I just installed Events Calendar Pro on my site, where I already had The Events Calendar. I have defined a few custom fields, and added some venues. I have two problems entering new events or editing existing ones:

1) The additional fields do not appear at all in the event entry form.
    2) Only one of my defined venues appears on the drop-down list.

By the way, I have experimented with another events management plugin (Events Manager), which I have now deactivated and deleted. Is it possible that the other plugin somehow messed up the same tables used by Events Calendar (Pro)? Is there an easy way to remove everything and start over? Any other option?

Thanks
    Yorgos

Yorgos

And here’s my conversation with Rob over email:

Hi Rob
    Thanks for the prompt response! OK, I have a definite improvement, but it’s getting weird now. See below:

Rob> When you are creating the custom fields…are you adding those within the actual entry (http://d.pr/i/FlbC), or on the settings page (http://d.pr/i/AyB5)? If the latter — which is the correct method —

Yorgos> The settings page.

Rob> they should appear on the individual event creation page like so: http://d.pr/i/ecCp. You may need to set them to appear under “Screen Options” atop the page, though.

Yorgos> They don’t, and there is no mention of them on the Screen Options.

Rob> On the venue front…it sounds like this may be a byproduct of running the plugins out of sync. Can you confirm that you’ve got 2.0.5 for both The Events Calendar AND Events Calendar PRO?

Yorgos> Running 2.0.5 on both.

Rob>
    * It could be a permalinks-related issue. Resave your permalinks page to reset them.
    * Make sure you’re running the latest version of the plugin (2.0.5) for both free & PRO — these need to be in sync or it won’t function properly.
    * Check that there aren’t any earlier versions of The Events Calendar or Events Calendar PRO active anywhere on the site. If they’re present, deactivate them.
    * Make sure you’re running the latest version of WordPress.
    * Try to identify whether this is a conflict with another plugin. You can do so easily by deactivating any other plugins you’ve got active and checking whether the issue persists.
    * If it isn’t a plugin conflict, it may be a theme one. If after deactivating all other plugins the issue persists, please revert to the default 2011 theme and test whether it’s an issue there.

Yorgos> Tried / checked all of the above, except disabling the plugins. Actually I did disable one that looked suspect (Sync Facebook Events), but that didn’t work, either.

Yorgos> HOWEVER: On a hunch, I added another venue. I figured, if only one venue appears, there must be something wrong with venue processing. That fixed both problems! Now I get both the additional fields and all the venues, except that: two of my venues appear merged together, ie their titles have been joined together into one, and they appear as a single venue. Meanwhile, when I list the venues in the admin interface, everything appears normal.

Yorgos

Not sure why my previous update doesn’t appear, posting again. It’s an email conversation I had with Rob:

Rob> When you are creating the custom fields…are you adding those within the actual entry (http://d.pr/i/FlbC), or on the settings page (http://d.pr/i/AyB5)? If the latter — which is the correct method —

Yorgos> The settings page.

Rob> they should appear on the individual event creation page like so: http://d.pr/i/ecCp. You may need to set them to appear under “Screen Options” atop the page, though.

Yorgos> They don’t, and there is no mention of them on the Screen Options.

Rob> On the venue front…it sounds like this may be a byproduct of running the plugins out of sync. Can you confirm that you’ve got 2.0.5 for both The Events Calendar AND Events Calendar PRO?

Yorgos> Running 2.0.5 on both.

Rob>
    * It could be a permalinks-related issue. Resave your permalinks page to reset them.
    * Make sure you’re running the latest version of the plugin (2.0.5) for both free & PRO — these need to be in sync or it won’t function properly.
    * Check that there aren’t any earlier versions of The Events Calendar or Events Calendar PRO active anywhere on the site. If they’re present, deactivate them.
    * Make sure you’re running the latest version of WordPress.
    * Try to identify whether this is a conflict with another plugin. You can do so easily by deactivating any other plugins you’ve got active and checking whether the issue persists.
    * If it isn’t a plugin conflict, it may be a theme one. If after deactivating all other plugins the issue persists, please revert to the default 2011 theme and test whether it’s an issue there.

Yorgos> Tried / checked all of the above, except disabling the plugins. Actually I did disable one that looked suspect (Sync Facebook Events), but that didn’t work, either.

Yorgos> HOWEVER: On a hunch, I added another venue. I figured, if only one venue appears, there must be something wrong with venue processing. That fixed both problems! Now I get both the additional fields and all the venues, except that: two of my venues appear merged together, ie their titles have been joined together into one, and they appear as a single venue. Meanwhile, when I list the venues in the admin interface, everything appears normal.

Yorgos

On a hunch, I added another venue. I figured, if only one venue appears, there must be something wrong with venue processing. That fixed both problems! Now I get both the additional fields and all the venues, except that: two of my venues appear merged together, ie their titles have been joined together into one, and they appear as a single venue. Meanwhile, when I list the venues in the admin interface, everything appears normal.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Yorgos, sorry to hear you’re having these issues. Sounds like something else is messing with things… It may be the other plugin but it’s hard to say. It could also be some other plugin besides the Events Manager. Have you tried deactivating all other plugins to rule out a conflict? It sounds like though that it’s working now correct? Let me know if not and I’ll see what else I can do.

Yorgos

Hi Jonah
    I have now disabled ALL plugins, apart from the two Events Calendar plugins. The problem still persists. Not the original problems, just the one with the two venues merging together in the drop down menu.
    Thanks
    Yorgos

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Yorgos,

Try copying in fresh copies of both plugins (just copy/replace the entire plugin folders) and try installing a fresh copy of WP. I assume you are running 3.3.2? You might also try reverting to the Twenty Eleven theme to see if it’s a theme conflict.

I hope that helps!

Yorgos

Hi Jonah
    I have copied fresh copies of both plugins over the existing ones; no change. I haven’t tried installing a fresh copy of WP yet. I am running 3.3.2. Reverting to the Twenty Eleven theme also did not result in any change.
    Another thought: I use qtranslate, and all my events and venues and events are bilingual, using the [:xx] syntax, which gets translated to greek textenglish text. Could this be related? I have disabled qtranslate along with all the other plugins, so now all titles and main content appear as above. Could there be something in the Events Calendar Pro code (I did not have this problem with the free version) that chokes on the multilingual syntax?
    Thanks
    Yorgos

Yorgos

Sorry, my code from qtranslate got mangled. Is there a way to post code in this forum?

Yorgos

Update: While trying to remove all the comments that act as delimiters for the multilingual content, I re-enabled qtranslate and then disabled it again, after editing a particular venue. Now, I am back to the original problem, ie no additional fields show up in the event editor, and only my first venue shows up.

Yorgos

Another update: the additional fields have disappeared completely, possibly as a result of re-installing both plugins (even though they shouldn’t), which obviously explains why they don’t appear in the event editor.

Yorgos

Third update: I have edited all the titles in my venues, and all are now single-language; in fact some are in greek, and some are in english, just for testing. The problem seems to have gone away. I will now try re-enabling all the plugins and my original theme, to see if anything changes.

Yorgos

OK, confirmed: I re-enabled all plugins and the original theme, but the problem did NOT re-appear. I then started editing the venue titles back to their original bilingual form, and sure enough, the problem re-appeared.

Rob

Hi Yorgos. Thanks for the follow-up here; glad to hear you’ve made some progress but bummer that the initial issue here remains. There is a known bug in the system now with custom fields deleting when they shouldn’t (either upon resaving the settings page or possibly deleting the plugin itself). So that could account for why they went away at one point on Settings (though this change is being worked on now and will be fixed in the next release).

If I understand your last note, it sounds like you reached the conclusion that the core problem here was the qTranslate plugin. Am I correct there? If so, that’s definitely possible…we’re testing against both that and WPML for our 2.1 release, and doing whatever we can on our end to ease the integration with those two plugins, but at this point there is unfortunately no official guarantee things will play smoothly on that end.

Yorgos

Hi Rob
    Well, actually what I found was that the problem with the venues merging was not associated with qtranslate itself; whether the plugin is activated or not does not change things. The problem appears if the title of the venues follows a certain structure: delimiter, greek title, delimiter, english title, delimiter, where delimiter is a specially formatted HTML comment that I cannot reproduce here as it gets mangled.
    What’s the timeframe for 2.1? Do you think there might something we could do about the specific problem here before that?
    Thanks,
    Yorgos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Additional fields not appearing, venues not showing’ is closed to new replies.