Adding Sidebar to single event pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Adding Sidebar to single event pages

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ksministries
    Participant

Hello we are using the Woo-commence Storefront theme and we are trying to add a sidebar to all our single event pages only. We have tried the numerous examples that we were able to find on other threads but none of those worked for us. Is this something we may ask for guidance with here? We are using the default events template and have our tribe-events folder where it needs to be in our child-theme. Thank you

Geoff B.

Good evening Katie and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

The first thing you need to do is to get familiar with our template / view customization operates.
    You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

Once that is done, you will need to edit the single page template in a similar fashion as described here: https://www.ostraining.com/blog/wordpress/custom-sidebar/

Finally, you will need to upload the modified template file not only in the tribe-events folder, but in the right sub-folder within it (following the same path as it is found under the /views/ folder in the Events Calendar)

In case you are still struggling, please send me a copy of the latest version of your WordPress theme / child theme via a link to a .zip file link (stored Dropbox or Google Drive) so that I can run some tests on my end ? I recommend a private reply for that purpose.

Please ensure you are using the latest files as found on your actual website.
    This way I will get access to any updates or customizations you might have made.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

ksministries
    Participant

This is so kind of you to reply so quickly and to wish to help. I will follow the instructions you pointed to and then reply back here as soon as we give it a try. Just wanted you to know we were still here. Thsnk you.

ksministries
    Participant

Hello Geoff I wanted to ask you a question connected to the linked example you provided. We now have a folder in our Storefront themes root directory called “tribe-events” with the sub-directories “list” and “view”. In the example there are two required template files, the single.php and page.php that it makes reference to. When I look in the original “the-events-calendar” plugin and go to scr folder then views then list I have the following php files (see screenshot). Is it one or more of these that I need to copy over and if so should we copy everything inside the files or just create blank files similar in name? If I am totally off the mark and was supposed to follow the example completely then we do have a plugin we use called Woocommerce Theme Customisations by Woothemes https://github.com/woocommerce/theme-customisations which we have been using to add all our custom css and php. Thank you.

ksministries
    Participant

I managed to get the custom sidebar in place (see screenshot) only now I just need to make sure I am copying that last bit of code in the example to the right php file which in this case I am thinking is the tribe-events-view-single-event.php? Thank you

ksministries
    Participant

Forgot to add screenshot

Geoff B.

Good evening and thank you for writing back,

I am glad to see you are making progress. Kudos!

To answer your question, the way this works, is that you only need to upload specifically the files you modify to your tribe-events folder.

In other words, our plugin will “know” to use our its regular plugin files, but give priority to exactly the customizations you made.

This means that your first task is to identify which file contains the section(s) you want to edit.
    As you have figured out, each view is made up of several actual php files.

Have a good weekend,

Geoff B.

ksministries
    Participant

Hello I am afraid this has gone over my head I suppose we will just have to live without a sidebar on our single event pages. Thank you anyhow.

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Robert,

Thank you for writing back.

I am sorry to hear that.

As you might know, the scope of our support is mostly to get our customers started on the right track and to help them in case of issues. We unfortunately do not provide complete support for customization.

But, my offer to take a look at your work still stands.

If coding is not really your cup of tea, you could always hire one of our recommended customizers to do the customization for you.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding Sidebar to single event pages’ is closed to new replies.