Add Venue up front?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Add Venue up front?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

I’ve created a Custom Solution for you where you will be able to output the venue on the Month View tooltip.

The tooltip.php file below you will need to place on as /your-theme/tribe-events/month/tooltip.php and the functions.php is the snippet that will allow the venue variable to be available on the front-end. You can change the HTML as you need there.

https://gist.github.com/bordoni/8acc6d505722587bd1a7

I hope this solves your problems, if not please reply explaining the issue and I will try to resolve it.

My Best Regards,

Catherine
    Participant

Please tell me exactly where in the functions.php file this should go. Each time I place it, I get error messages. thanks

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

Can you post which errors are you seen, so that I can give you a good solution?

My Best Regards,

Catherine
    Participant

Can you first tell me exactly where this should be placed in functions.pho and I will try it again and then give you exact error message …I already reverted after a few failed attempts
    Thanks…it might help avoid a further message back and forth (tearing my hair out with this and additional serious calendar problems)

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

I recorded a video to explain what you should do.

My Best Regards,

Catherine
    Participant

When I do this I get an error message and site goes down –
    (Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tec_forum_939516() (previously declared in /home/content/c/m/j/cmjbarry/html/dev/wp-content/themes/parabola/includes/theme-functions.php:9)

But MORE importantly the tooltip is missing and I need to get that back before I can even see if venue will appear up front.

What a mess

Rob

Hi Catherine. Thanks for the follow-up here; Gustavo brought this last reply to my attention, and I wanted to jump in since it looks like you’re still having issues here.

I think at this point it may be worthwhile to hire a developer on your end: I’m going to be honest and say that I think this issue is verging on the borderline of how much support we can provide. Gustavo has already spent a good deal of time troubleshooting here (the video tutorial he put together is far more detailed than we generally do for more users), and it sounds like the problems you’re faced with now are more a byproduct of a misunderstanding with how to use the code Gustavo provided than any actual bug within the codebase.

While we’re happy to provide basic user support here on the forums, I’m not sure how much deeper we’re going to be able to go here – from the looks of things you need a developer to help you out and provide an overview of how to effectively add snippets to the functions.php file. (This tutorial may also help in a pinch: http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/beginners-guide-to-pasting-snippets-from-the-web-into-wordpress/).

My apologies that we couldn’t do more at this time. If you are interested in a list of freelance developers, we do have a group we generally refer out to users who are looking for more support than we can provide. I’d be happy to pass that your way if the link I provided above doesn’t help clear up the issue.

Catherine
    Participant

I purchased a calendar – to show events that are happening in a community. Well, what a strange thing to discover that one cannot see where the event is actually happening (almost the first thing anyone looks for in a calendar).

I simply asked about that a month ago. I waited days upon days for replies. The last request was to see where to place the code that was suggested in the functions.php file as I was getting an error message. Instead of an answer to that simple question, I get a video that is so blurry I can’t see a thing (take a look at that please and tell me if you think it’s legible)

I don’t want to be rude, but this has been a nightmare. I know you’d probably like to get rid of me but maybe you shouldn’t be selling calendars that don’t have a venue showing – unless you stipulate that the customer will probably need to hire a developer to make it work. I have worked really hard to get this community site going and I can’t afford a developer.

So disappointing.

Rob

You make a great point here, Catherine, and I can absolutely understand your frustration. We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations here. I think this is a really good example of how we can do a better job of setting user expectations from the offset regarding what the calendar can and cannot do out of the box. I admittedly haven’t seen a ton of requests for people wanting the venue information displaying in the tooltip from the offset – but at the same time, just knowing that there is ONE user who has that expectation is enough of a trigger for me that I’d like to get our docs/pre-purchase page changed so that we’re better outlining this from the offset. Out of curiosity: would a screenshot on the product page showing the tooltip and what it contained have been useful to you? Similarly, were you aware of our demo site at http://wpshindig.com as a frame of reference for checking out the plugin before buying so you could see it in action?

I can also understand your frustration regarding the amount of time it has taken. I think it is worth highlighting that Gustavo did give you a solution that accomplished your goals here early in the thread (within 2 days of your original post), and that the subsequent struggles since then have been with getting that implemented. Not to say that makes it any better for you as the end customer; but I hope you can understand where we’re coming from in that having a solution but being unable to implement it is perhaps a slightly different situation than having no solution provided at all.

When someone buys a license and begins using our code, they are getting literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of development for a $65 license. Our mindset is that at this point customers have all the pieces to a website puzzle; what they then need is someone to connect them. But we also try to stress that the $65 doesn’t buy access to a developer, it buys access to user support. I’ve been working with Gustavo on this issue from the offset and it’s clear to me that he’s going above and beyond to help you out here. But at the same time, the issue of adding a snippet to the functions.php file is a pretty common task in WordPress that I think we could find a number of existing resources for you on. (The one I linked to previously should be a good starting point, but let me know if you find it isn’t and I can send over another one). At this point the solution is there; it’s just a matter of how to implement it.

All that to say: let us know what we can do to make this right. While we can’t log into your site and do it for you, I’m open to whatever ideas you have that would help put your mind at ease. Since it sounds like we’re quite close to having you set – it’s just a matter of finding the appropriate way to insert this snippet to the functions file – I’m optimistic that we’ll have you on the right path shortly. If the link I shared isn’t helpful, let me know and we can provide another.

Sincerely,

Rob La Gatta
    [email protected]

Catherine
    Participant

Thanks Rob,

I understand what you are saying, and I hope you understand how fundamental venue information is on a calendar event. That’s how this whole sorry mess started. I love the calendar and am not taking away how involved and great it is. Looked great on Shindig (wish mine looked like that though, but sadly lacking tooltip, half the header and dates on listings now – in addition to no venue (which I admit I didn’t notice till I set up the calendar)

I am trying to hire someone to help me – I couldn’t see the Gustavo video as it was too blurry but appreciate his effort greatly.

Urgently, I just need to figure out why half the month header is missing (Events for…??) and I have not had a response about that – and why there are no dates on my listings

http://irishculturebayarea.com/?post_type=tribe_events

I am trying to promote a calendar that can be used hopefully by Irish communities country-wide if I get approval by the sponsoring Irish consulate. I’m doing it for free right now, working so hard to make it look great, and they are so impressed they are willing to promote to all consulates in the U.S.

I am hoping to get someone today who can take on the glitches and then hopefully we can get back on track and I can purchase other add-ons and move on….I don’t think there is another calendar out there that can work this well (venue is sooooo important though – next after the event title and date)

Cheers
    Catherine

Catherine
    Participant

By the way, I did have a knowledgeable person add the original suggested snippets correctly, but it still did not work to get venue up front.

I’m not sure how, as everything was reverted to original, the other things happened – loss of tooltip, missing header, missing dates. I will keep you posted when I get some help

Thanks

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

I’ve crafted this plugin that will deliver the expected results. To make it work you will need to revert all the changes we provided you before then follow the instructions on the following link:

https://github.com/bordoni/tec-forum-support/tree/plugin-939516

My Best Regards,

Catherine
    Participant

Hi,
    Wasn’t sure if “revert all the changes we provided you before” meant revert to original or revert to the place where I added your snippets. In any case I tried both, and added and activated your plugin – still not working.

Now no tooltip at all (so it doesn’t really matter about getting the venue up front, as there is no “up front” when there is no tooltip),

month header is half missing now, date is now missing too on individual events and formatting has gotten messed up
    http://irishculturebayarea.com/?post_type=tribe_events

I am trying to get a developer to help me, but in the meantime I would love your suggested fixes

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Catherine,

What I mean by “revert all the changes we provided you before”, is to get your theme to the original state before we provided you any support and then activate that plugin following the instructions on the link I provided you on my last message.

My Best Regards,

Catherine
    Participant

Hi and thanks, yes I thought that is what you meant and that’s what I did and no change. The bigger issues for me now are a) no tooltip (so venue problem is secondary) and missing dates on calendar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘Add Venue up front?’ is closed to new replies.