Add Category to Event URL pernalink

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Add Category to Event URL pernalink

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Charles Bartlett
    Participant

I would like to add the Category name to the Event URL (i.e. ‘Single Event URL slug’ in settings). This would facilitate Analytics reporting on traffic for all events associated with a specific category.

As of early last year, this was not possible according to Modern Tribe Support:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/event-category-url/#post-1114954

Has there been any enhancements on this since last year?
    (so far can’t find anything in the forums indicating there has)

Barry

Hi @cbzen,

It’s certainly possible – as a further customization – but remains something that we do not support “out of the box”: some amount of custom dev work would be required to make this happen.

You’re more than welcome to propose this, though, as a future feature of the plugin:

Our UserVoice page: add feature requests here!

Other users can then up-vote it, giving us a great idea of how much demand there might be (or, if you can find a suitable existing request, you can in turn up-vote that).

Charles Bartlett
    Participant

Thanks, will submit a feature request.

For those also looking into this…
    If someone wants to report on Page Views by Event Category, the only option is Google Tag Manager (GTM) that I can see. And because current WordPress GTM plugins do not support custom taxonomies, it’s the same problem but different reporting platform.

So what starts as a simple reporting exercise, becomes a days long research project to learn how to code a custom Data Layer for GTM.

This is a high-value capability to any site owner that could be dead simple to setup if the ‘Single event URL slug’ allowed variables. Perhaps this field is reserved for “future enhancements”, but as it stands I don’t see what someone would need this for.

Charles Bartlett
    Participant

** UPDATE **
    My previous comment is only valid for sites that assign only ONE category to an event. Anyone that assigns multiple categories to events will need to think through how they want their reporting data represented and how GTM should be configured to generate the data.

Barry

Good notes.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Add Category to Event URL pernalink’ is closed to new replies.