A Mess Has Been Made, Updating Recurring Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO A Mess Has Been Made, Updating Recurring Events

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ideasandbox
    Participant

The SHORT version?

When updating old events to entered mostly 2014 and 2015. Instead of the new dates appearing in 2018, it created recurring events from 2014 EVERY DAY thru 2018.

My calendar has exploded. HELP!

I just spent several hours updating events on my calendar that had not originally been set-up to recur annually.

Shame on me for not looking at the front end, as it looked just find in the back end.

When going to each (more than 200 edited today) event to change my all day events from (for example) April 5, 2015 – April 5, 2015 to April 5, 2018 – April 5, 2018 + repeat annually… for some reason most if not all instead did…

April 5, 2015 THRU April 5, 2018 so now I have more than 200 events happening EVERY day for YEARS and YEARS…

I don’t understand what I did wrong, when I saved the dates were all clearly showing only that single day…

It doesn’t matter, but I need to find a better way to fix the work, i.e. go into the database and make updates, export and be able to make corrections

Here is a link to my calendar:

https://lsmguide.com/marketing-holidays/

Thank you

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

The best way to quickly delete all of the recurring events that have been created would be to install and configure our Recurring Event Cleanup Tool extension:

https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/recurring-event-cleanup-tool/

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jaime

ideasandbox
    Participant

Thank you for the note and tool.

Although, ultimately I need to have these be recurring. But annually on their day, not daily!

Will this tool allow me to have Ground Hog day, which shows up everyday from March 2, 2015 thru 2019? To only appear when it should, or does this set it to a single event?

Is there a way to download my entire list and update the spreadsheet and replace or something?

I’ve got 100s of dates through the year.

Thank you!

Hi Paul,

With this tool, all of your recurring data will be deleted.  Unfortunately, you cannot choose which data will stay, however you can recreate the yearly recurrence after delete the daily recurrence.

Alternatively, you can export your events via CSV.  I would recommend using a plugin like WP All Export, which will let you export your events (and other post types as well) to a CSV. It also lets you choose which fields you would like to include in the export.

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/csv-files-options-and-examples/

Let me know if you have any other questions on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

ideasandbox
    Participant

If I export all my current events to CSV, will I be able to fix the errors in CSV and then re-import all my data back into the plugin with recurring dates?

I’ve got 100s of events I’ve already entered the first time… and a majority of them that I manually adjusted again that caused this problem… I don’t have the patience to have to manually set recurring option for all of them again.

Finally, is my request being looked at from a bug perspective? I need to fix the mess that has been made of my calendar but also want this to be prevented for someone else. Unless I’ve done something wrong, please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi Paul,

If you export your events to CSV, you should be able to correct the errors in the CSV and then import the CSV back onto your site.  The link that I provided you with above can give you some examples of how to set things up there.  Before doing anything, I’d recommend creating a backup of your site, just to be safe.

Unfortunately, this issue is not considered a bug because I cannot replicate the issue at this time.  It seems to be an isolated case for now, so I will not be taking further action as far as considering this a bug.

Let me know how things go and if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

ideasandbox
    Participant

Thank you for your reply.

I’ve read the knowledgebase article provided and don’t see anything related to importing recurring events. EVERY item on my calendar repeats annually. I would love to export -> correct -> import, but won’t make sense unless I can mark my events as “RECURRING YEARLY”

Thank you.

Hi Paul,

Can you take a screenshot of what one of your events looks like on the backend?  I’d like to take a look at how you have things set up so that we can try to prevent this from happening again.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘A Mess Has Been Made, Updating Recurring Events’ is closed to new replies.