A few Questions: Change field names, Integrating with Genesis

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO A few Questions: Change field names, Integrating with Genesis

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    irishrunner16
    Participant

Hi! I’m setting up The Events Calendar PRO (and Community add-on) on my staging server and am finding it to be just awesome! With that said I have a few questions I haven’t been able to figure out from the documentation I’ve found on tri.be. Thanks in advance!

1. In searching for how to change field names, I came across two different answers: Your FAQ says to edit the English translation file, and there is another method at https://tri.be/relabeling-the-venueorganizer-sections-in-single-event-view/.
    Can you please confirm if editing the English translation file will change the field names in ALL locations (on both the front and back-end)?

2. Is there still no tutorial for implementing TEC 3.0+ with Genesis 2.0? If so, can you please provide steps on how I can get my sidebar(s) to appear on my event pages?

3. For the upcoming Filters Bar, will it be possible to add Additional Fields as search options? I ask because my users must have the ability to search/filter certain data, so this will determine whether I set that data as an “additional field” or as a “tag.”

4. On the Additional Fields page, there is an “Editor Custom Fields meta box” option. It states “Enabling this option this will not remove custom field data or functionality, just the default meta box editor.” Where exactly can I see that in action? I’m not seeing any difference on the front or back-end when enabling/disabling this option.

5. Is this solution for hiding fields on the Community Submit an Event form still valid for TEC 3.0? https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/can-i-hide-the-saved-venue-and-saved-organizer-drop-downs/

Chris
    Participant

1. You’ll want to use the english translation. That’ll change it in both places.
    2. You might want to see http://paulwp.com/genesis-layouts-and-tribe-events/
    3. See https://theeventscalendar.com/understanding-the-tribeeventsbar/
    4. With it enabled , go to the screen options of an event in backend edit mode, drop down screen options and check the box for Custom Fields. A metabox will appear that lets you directly edit custom meta for a post.
    5. You’ll need to use this: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/disable-event-image-upload/

-Chris

irishrunner16
    Participant

Thanks so much Chris! This definitely helps point me in the right direction. Given that I’m a newbie with all of this, I’m hoping you (or someone else) might be able to provide some further assistance on a couple of the items:
    1. For the English Translation file, is that the “tribe-events-community” PowerPoint file in the /lang/ folder?
    2. Being a newbie coder I’ll have to try and wrap my head around that post or wait for a more detailed tutorial from Modern Tribe.
    3. Thanks. Looks like that might be a possibility for me to try myself or at least hiring a developer.
    4. Makes sense now. Thanks!
    5. The topic you referenced discusses commenting out an entire module on the submit an event form. How would I go about removing a single field? For example, if I want to remove the “phone” field from the Event Location Details, would I need to edit \wp-content\plugins\the-events-calendar-community-events\views\community\modules\venue.php?

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
    – Sean

Chris
    Participant

1. You’ll need to use a program like Poedit to edit that file (.pot). See https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/translations-getting-started/ (note 6 + 7 do not apply to you since you aren’t translating to a new language)
    5. I believe so, but Community Events is my weakest of the tri.be plugins currently. I’d recommend posting a new forum post in the community events thread.

-Chris

irishrunner16
    Participant

Thanks so much. To ensure the changes I make to the .pot file are not overwritten when updating the plugins, would I need to save a copy of the file in my theme and edit that (as I would when doing a template override)?

irishrunner16
    Participant

Could someone please confirm if I can place a copy of the English Translation file (“tribe-events-community.pot” in the /lang/ folder) in my theme folder? Or do I need to edit the original and update it anytime the plugin is updated? Thanks!

Leah

Hi Sean,

I apologize for my delayed response here!

It is not possible to do a template override with the lang folder, so you can’t prevent it from being re-written when you update the plugin. If you create the-events-calendar-en.po/.mo files to change terminology, you will need to put them back in the /lang folder each time you update the plugin. It may be easier for you to follow the other route for this reason.

If you do decide to edit the translation files, make sure that you search through and catch each instance of Organizer and Venue so that you have consistency across the board. It’s also possible that you’ll need to update the .po file with an updated .pot file in the future. Check out our Getting Started post in the Translations Forum for more info on translating.

I apologize again for the delayed response. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you here.

Cheers,

Leah

irishrunner16
    Participant

Hi Leah,

Thanks very much for explaining the pros/cons of each method. I am using Community Events, so although the English Translations method will be more work, I think that’s what I’ll need.

With that said, I want to make sure I’m understanding that method correctly. I know you provided a link to the “Getting Started” post for Translations, but do those steps apply since I would be wanting to edit the English file?

Thanks,
    Sean

Leah

Hi Sean,

There isn’t an existing en.po file in our plugin, so you’ll need to make one, edit it, and add it to the correct folder in order for this to work.

If you’re unfamiliar with how translations work in WordPress, you’ll want to head to the Getting Started post and/or our Translations page for some tips on changing the language, etc. The Getting Started post also explains how to update an existing .po file with a newer .pot file, which you’ll need to do if we update parts of the calendar that include Venue or Organizer.

Does that answer your question? I’d be happy to walk you through the process more if you need help. The translation stuff can be rather confusing! And you can always post in the Translation Forum too 🙂

Best,

Leah

irishrunner16
    Participant

Hi Leah,
    Thanks for the additional info. That makes sense. I should be able to follow the Getting Started to create a translation for my customized English language, but if I encounter any trouble I will reach out.

In the meantime, please feel free to close this topic. Thanks again for your help!

Sean

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘A few Questions: Change field names, Integrating with Genesis’ is closed to new replies.