404 Errors on Events List view and Calendar view

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 404 Errors on Events List view and Calendar view

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    B.
    Participant

Hello,

We’re using the following custom permalink structure: /news/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/

We’re experiencing a somewhat intermittent issue with List View and Grid View. The /events/ page works as expected, however, navigating to /events/upcoming/ and /events/month/ via the ‘Events List’ and ‘Calendar’ buttons returns 404 pages. The most bizarre thing is that /events/upcoming/ and /events/month/ only return a 404 page after about 30 minutes of either 1) deactivating/reactivating the plugin or 2) “resetting” the permalinks by selecting /%postname%/ > ‘Save Changes’ then switching back to our custom permalink structure.

It’s also worth noting that we have another test site that we have set to use the /%postname%/ permalink structure that works as expected thus far.

Why are we receiving these intermittent 404 errors?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Barry

Hi B., we’d recommend sticking to /%postname%/ as the URL structure. Currently, anything else is liable to cause problems.

B.
    Participant

I see. That’s unfortunate, as it’s quite important to us and our clients to be able to use at very least /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/.

Could you offer any insight as to why ECP currently only works with /%postname%/ permalink structure and if/when support for custom permalinks will be offered in a future release?

Thanks,
    B.

Barry

There isn’t a great deal of insight I can offer you here, I’m afraid, other than to say various permalink patterns and indeed default permalinks don’t tend to work very well.

We’re definitely aware of this and my understanding is that the next major release of The Events Calendar will include changes to the way permalinks/URLs are handled – I’m unsure if the sort of pattern you have described will work at that point or not, but I’ll certainly try to check in with one of the developers and ask 🙂

B.
    Participant

Thanks for checking with the devs. If you could also ask them if there’s any temporary workarounds for the issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    B.

Barry

B., I was just doing some further testing (in fact I borrowed the same permalink structure you are using) and see no problems at all.

Is it possible something else is impacting – and have you run through the standard steps of disabling other plugins and reverting to a default theme?

B.
    Participant

Barry,

Yes, I’ve gone through the standard steps of disabling other plugins and reverting to a default theme with the same results.

Unfortunately, the problem is somewhat sporadic (see my first post) and only pops up after about 30-40 minutes or so. Once the 404 pages start showing up for /events/upcoming/ and /events/month/, the only way we’ve found to resolve the issue is to refresh/flush our permalink settings OR deactivate/activate the plugin.

Certainly sounds like an issue with the permalinks / permalink cache.

Barry

I appreciate the problem is sporadic; but if for instance you know with near certainty that it will occur after 30 minutes/1 hour/x period of time can you leave everything else disabled for that period of time?

After talking to others on the team, it turns out that my information on pretty permalink patterns other than %postname% may be out of date and I cannot replicate what you are describing.

Barry

Hi B., did you have an opportunity to do any further troubleshooting?

B.
    Participant

Hi Barry,

Thanks for checking in and our apologies for not getting back to you. We haven’t had the chance to do further troubleshooting, but will post here when we get a chance this week.

Thanks,
    B.

Barry

No problem, look forward to hearing from you.

B.
    Participant

Barry,

We finally got a chance to do some more thorough testing.

First, you may disregard my earlier posts about the permalink structure causing 404 errors. We’ve done more testing and, as you suspected, the permalink structure itself is not the issue.

We determined the 404 issue was a result of switching between different translations of the website. We are using WPML to translate the site from English to Spanish. We encountered the 404 pages after switching from English to Spanish back to English. It just so happened that after about 30 minutes, our testing routine would lead us to switch from English to Spanish back to English and result in aforementioned 404 pages.

We did switch to the default Twenty Eleven theme and disable all plugins, but only after having switched back and forth from Spanish to English in our custom theme. This is why switching to the default theme and disabling all the plugins did not fix the 404 pages.

With that being said, Events Calendar Pro works perfectly so long as the language isn’t switched.

HOWEVER, we now have our test site set up with the default Twenty Eleven Theme, Events Calendar Pro 2.0.10, and WPML 2.6.0 and are running into the same 404 issue on the /events/month/ and /events/list/ and /events/category/ views as previously described. When we switch from English to Spanish to English anywhere on the website, the /events/month/ and /events/list/ and /events/category/ pages return 404s. You can see the issue here: fresh2.lanetest.com (I’ve just flushed the permalinks so it should work for you). It’s also worth noting that WPML is not translating any of the calendar components at all.

So, our new question is: Why do these English pages return 404 pages after a Spanish (or any other language) version of the website has been viewed?

Thanks,
    B.

Barry

Hi B.,

WPML compatibility issues are something we are aware of and we are investigating possible fixes – but it’s a complex issue and may take some time.

Can I ask if you happen to be using the MarketPress e-commerce plugin?

Can I also ask if you can try out the following:

• Login to the dashboard
    • In another browser if possible, navigate to your site and replicate the steps you have described so you end up with a 404 for events/upcoming
    • In the first browser, navigate to the Settings > Permalinks page then go back to the other browser and refresh the page. Does that make any difference?

That may not resolve the problem (I appreciate it is not a practical means of handling it going forward either) but if it does it would give us a better handle on the problem.

Thanks!

B.
    Participant

Barry,

We are not using the MarketPress e-commerce plugin. We actually have all plugins disabled except WPML and ECP.

We tried the steps you suggested. Visiting the Permalinks page in the first browser temporarily fixes the problem in the second browser, but as soon as we switch from English to Spanish to English again in the second browser, the 404 errors return.

Thanks!
    B.

B.
    Participant

Barry,

We’ve also contacted WPML support in regards to the 404 issues and the Recurring Events (see our separate thread). While the WPML team is not familiar with Events Calendar Pro, they do offer this program (http://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/) where their developers work with plugin authors for full WPML compatibility. It may be of interest to the ECP developers moving forward with WPML.

B.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Errors on Events List view and Calendar view’ is closed to new replies.