404 error comes up with category link

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 404 error comes up with category link

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    southwinds
    Participant

I had this before I upgraded to pro. I was hoping pro would fix it. The 404 page comes up with just one category. I read weeks ago that if you choose a custom page for 404, this could happen and that’s what happened to me. If use the default 404 page, the category goes to the calendar.

I have eight categories and it only occurs on one. I have deleted the category entirely, created a new one with a different name, it still happens. I have made it a child of a parent category and made it not a child. It still happens. Problem is I need the custom text on a 404 page, because I launched a new site with a different host and the old pages that don’t exist on the new site are still indexed with Google, so if you search, you get a lot of 404 pages and my custom page says that’s what’s happening. Too many people will find that and wonder. I need the 404 custom page. Plus I need this category to work. It’s a new site and I need events on the calendar.

As I send this in, the system is setup with the custom 404 page.

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Just to clarify, is your issue that one of the categories has a 404 error, while the other category pages are working correctly?

As a first step, I would recommend going through the steps in the following article and seeing if they can resolve your issue:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/fixing-http-404-errors/

In addition, there are a number of mixed content error messages appearing in the console, so I would recommend installing and configuring a plugin, like this one, in order to resolve those errors.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

southwinds
    Participant

I had already gone through the link you sent me and changed the permalinks, but other suggestions mention single event pages as a 404 problem, so those don’t apply to me. Mine is specifically with only a 404 problem on one category and I have no other pages on the website that have 404 problems. And it only occurs when you choose a custom 404 page. Since I saw that in your forum somewhere, I was hoping you had already solved that specific problem.
    I did download the plugin but it didn’t fix it.

Since I don’t have time to screw with this right now, I just deleted the 404 custom page so customers won’t get that 404 when going to that one category.

I did find one unique thing. If I turn off the custom 404 page, then I add an event in the current month, then I go back and turn on a custom 404 page, the problem is solved. But I don’t have time to see if it works when it goes into the next month or every day check it.

If you find a solution to my specific problem, please let me know, but right now I can’t spend time experimenting with what the problem might be by going through all the testing procedures.

Hi Steve,

Without doing some additional investigating on both of our parts, I don’t have a solution to your specific problem off the top of my head.  I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot if you are still interested.  Though I completely understand if you’d like to move on and get things working.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error comes up with category link’ is closed to new replies.