4.4 Update Conflicts with Customizr Pro Dropdowns

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events 4.4 Update Conflicts with Customizr Pro Dropdowns

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nj italian heritage
    Participant

I have been successfully using Community Events Calendar with the Customizr Pro theme for sometime now. However, the plugin ceases to function correctly following the most recent upgrade. It is now impossible for those submitting via the community submissions form to view dropdowns for saved venues or organizers. (clicking those buttons does nothing see below).

https://www.njitalianheritage.org/events/community/add/

I was able to successfully able to fix the page (dropdowns started working perfectly again) by switching to the WordPress 2015 Default, so I am confident this is a theme and not a plugin conflict.

Permanently changing the Customizr Pro theme is not an option for us and I’d rather not have to reinstall the previous version of your plugin which allowed it to function. Please advise.

Nick

Nathan
    Participant

Ever since the new update to Community Events, I’ve had an issue with dropdown menus appearing too. I did the troubleshooting and it didn’t fix it. I’m not sure what it is because I enabled all the same plugins to test and couldn’t find another conflict. I went through and commented out all my theme’s tribe-event styles only to observe that it made no difference.

I went through and changed updated styles to reveal the old blocks that still work and hide the new divs because they aren’t working. But it just doesn’t look right, and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of restyling all the old divs. And I can’t simply switch themes to get things working. Things need to work!

However, through quite a bit of trial and error, I found what I could do to make things work. I noticed that the div was there and wasn’t getting populated. So I added a z-index of 1 to the reset in the stylesheet and it made the dropdown box show up.

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre, a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code, del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp, small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var, b, u, i, center, dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li, fieldset, form, label, legend, table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td { 
    	margin: 0; 
    	padding: 0; 
    	border: 0; 
    	outline: 0; 
    	font-size: 100%; 
    	vertical-align: baseline; 
    	background: transparent; 
    	z-index: 1 !important;

Then I went through and eliminated items one by one of what I thought would make the difference. I discovered that the div is what was causing the issue. First, I updated customized themed Community Event module files with the new ones that came with the plugin update and uploaded them to the server. Second, I added the code below to the stylesheet.

div.select2-drop, div.ui-timepicker-wrapper {
    	z-index: 1888888888 !important;
    }

Probably don’t need the z-index set so high, but I didn’t want to go through the process of finding the exact number for making it show up on top. Third, I commented out any z-index setting the theme had set for date pickers for the events plugin. This seemed fix the issue.

Hope this works for everyone else who might be going through the same thing. And hope it works for you too.

Hunter

Hello to the both of you 🙂

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response. This thread somehow got lost in my queue and I didn’t notice it until just now! We do our best to build our plugins to work well with custom themes and other plugins, but unfortunately conflicts do arise.

Due to the fact the issue subsides when reverting back to the default WordPress theme, there is not much I can do in this situation. Our What support is provided for license holders? Knowledgebase article goes over what we’re able to cover in the forums, and theme conflicts are something we’re not able to support.

Your best bet is to use custom CSS as Nathan has. I like to share this Customizing WordPress #2 – Using Chrome Developers Tools YouTube video in this instance.

If things get beyond your level of expertise, we have a list of customizers that might be able to help further assist.

I know this is not the ideal situation, but seeing it’s not affecting the default WordPress themes, there’s not much I can do. Good luck resolving the conflict and let me know if you have any more questions or thoughts on the matter. Thanks and take care!

nj italian heritage
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy guys,

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you to Nathan. That is some outstanding debugging, and thank you very much for documenting it so thoroughly for the community.

As noted by the Customizer Pro folks we are using a slightly old version of Select2. We have been aware of the awesome new version since its release, and would like to upgrade to it as quick as we can. Unfortunately it introduces some breaking changes, so we can not just swap it out. Further, Select2 is something that we use in a number of our plugins. Upgrading it and rebuilding our customizations will take some time.

In the mean time we are investigating the possibility that we are loading this library on too many admin pages. Whenever possible if we can avoid using it, it will be less likely to conflict with things like Customizer Pro.

If the CSS fix Nathan shared is enough to fix this specific issue, you should absolutely throw that in there. I have noted that in this minified file: \the-events-calendar-community-events\src\resources\css\tribe-events-community-select2.min.css the following entry can be found:

.select2-search{z-index:3;}

Oddly, in our non minified file the z-index is set to 10000 as we’d expect. I have a question in to the dev who setup our minifier, to see why this is happening. I’m guessing we have a something like this running with our minification script. Which is all well and good in most cases, but it should not be run on vendor libs like this.

In short, we’re investigating this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. In the mean time, if I were affected by this I would apply Nathan’s CSS fix. That’s a great workaround and it’s available now.

Cheers!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

I have some good news. Over the weekend one of our devs updated our automation tools to prevent the z-index from getting altered. So our very next release will include a fix for the z-index issue! I would expect to see that version in a couple of weeks, at which point you can update your plugins and see this problem go away.

– Brook

George
    Participant

Hello!

I wanted to share the news that we released a Maintenance Release today that should include a fix for the issues you report here.

You should be able to see this update in your wp-admin Updates page. You can learn more about the release here: https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-events-calendar-4-4-2-event-tickets-4-4-2-premium-add-ons/

Cheers!
    George

nj italian heritage
    Participant

Thanks for the support, the latest update completely fixed the conflict with the Customizr Pro theme!

Hunter

Thank you so much for your patience while we got everything squared away and please feel free to create a new thread should you have any more questions. Have a great week ahead. Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘4.4 Update Conflicts with Customizr Pro Dropdowns’ is closed to new replies.