3.11.1 Not importing Venue

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator 3.11.1 Not importing Venue

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

Hey Douglas,

I’m really, really sorry to recommend yet another code installation after you just went through updating your Release Candidates – but our official releases for all of these plugins were launched earlier today.

These official releases do have some more code than the Release Candidates, so I’d recommend getting up to speed with the “official release” first.

Again – really sorry to send you back to the Update screens after all this! But hopeful that our improved codebase can be helpful here.

If you’re able to get up-to-date with the current releases let me know! And let me know if anything is noticeably improved.

Cheers!
    George

Douglas
    Participant

Done….

Venue and Organizer urls work great

Organizers importing properly

Still having venue import issues

https://www.facebook.com/events/1013737185323224/
    Terry Sheets Band at the Wrangler

https://www.facebook.com/events/355775887943180/
    Terry Sheets Band at Rookies in Manteca

https://www.facebook.com/events/1558964617691328/
    Flat Busted @ Whisky Barrel Saloon

media325
    Participant

Douglas
    I’ve found that many venues (and organizers) won’t be imported if their FB page setting are age restricted. To test go to the FB page you’re having a problem with while logged into FB. Copy the url and try to go to the same page while you are logged out of FB. I typically just use a second browser because I’m to lazy to keep logging in/out.

If while logged out you get a “Sorry, this page isn’t available” message it means there are age restrictions on that page.

George
    Participant

Hey Douglas,

I hate to keep repeating “thank you for your patience”, but seriously, it is much appreciated here! Especially since, even after updating, you’re still having venue import issues…

I’m glad that at least organizers are importing correctly. These remaining venue issues are tricky because I cannot recreate them, and it seems like you for that some venues are being imported correctly, while some or not (the ones you listed there).

Is this accurate? Or are all venues failing to import for you?

If it’s accurate that only some venues are failing to import, then I’m curious, is there any pattern to these venues that you can think of? Are these venues that already existing on your WordPress site, for example?

If these venues do not already exist in your admin, then does anything improve if you add them to your site and then try importing again?

Thank you so much for persisting here – the venue importing from Facebook is working well for me and I cannot create this error, but will keep trying to in the meantime!

— George

Douglas
    Participant

Ok… After further research and testing, I have found that the venues that are not importing are apparently age or country restricted on Facebook.

After speaking with a couple of Venues about why they are restricted on Facebook, I am being told that when they tried advertise or boost posts on Facebook they were told they had to restrict the venues page for alcohol in order to get their campaign approved.

There appears to be some inconsistency with Facebooks enforcement of this policy.

I guess, what ultimately comes down to, is can we setup our Facebook app used by the plugin to login or qualify to retrieve age restricted data? Or/and does the plugin and graph api even have the ability to some how get data that requires that type of access.

If you add the venues page id to the Facebook IDS that you want the plugin to automatically retrieve events for you will get the API error displayed when you try to load the import Facebook screen to validate the restriction.

The plugin apparently either does not respond to or The API does not raise an error when the venue is not accessible vs not available.

It would appear to me that this could be a big issue for users of this plugin going forward, both to figure out what the issue is as well as limiting the functionality of the product.

Side note…. If there is a way to access the graph api and validate age restrictions events created by any age restricted pages could also be imported and increase the successful functionality of the plugin in other situations as well.

George
    Participant

Hey Douglas,

Thanks so much for your feedback here, I’m sorry that I didn’t realize the venues were age/country-restricted sooner!

Unfortunately, if a venue has these restrictions we simply cannot access it via the API, Facebook does not allow it. I think your point about there being better feedback, e.g. an alert or error of some kind for this if a venue is restricted, is very helpful and I will make a development ticket to get this into the plugin.

We can definitely improve feedback regarding age restriction stuff for events, venues, etc. from Facebook – it’s admittedly something tough to work with because their API doesn’t provide much context for restricted items, but we can improve regardless.

I’m sorry that this thread took so long to arrive at a somewhat disappointing conclusion, Douglas. Please let me know if there’s anything else here I can help with!

— George

Douglas
    Participant

George, using the graph api explorer I have confirmed that the issue appears to be that the information for the venue is listed in the event object and can be accessed. The issue only occurs when you try to access the venue object by id directly.

Suggestion. Add the venue with the data in the event object or link it to that venue if it already exists in the calendar.

That way if I as a calendar admin, I have Updated the incomplete venue, it will still get used/linked.

Let me know if you need anymore about how I came to this understanding.

Thanks, Doug.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Douglas.
    George
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this Douglas! I have created a ticket for our developers to improve upon these features and your information here definitely helps.

Thank you, and sorry that a better solution is not in place for handling this at the moment.

Stay tuned to plugin updates for the hopeful arrival of a fix for this!

Tom – I will close up this support for thread now based on all the feedback in the thread. I hope you’ve made progress with your venues and/or have at least been able to determine that they are being “restricted” by Facebook and hence not working very well with our importer plugin. If other issues arise, open a new thread here any time and link back to this one for reference if it’s related! 🙂

Cheers,
    George

Geoff

Hey folks,

Great news! After a lot of work and effort, we were able to make release what we believe is a great solution for the issue of events not importing from Facebook due to certain Facebook API restrictions.

Since this thread was opened, not only has Facebook updated it API, but we have developed a new product called Event Aggregator that is fully compatible with it and overcomes the importing issues that Facebook Events encountered.

Event Aggregator is now available and you should even have a complimentary license for it if you already have an active Facebook Events license to help you make the switch.

In addition, we’ve put together a handy guide that outlines best practices for importing events using Event Aggregator to help get the most out of your imports:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/plugin/event-aggregator/

Thanks so much for your patience while we worked on this. We know it has been a long-running item everyone’s wishlist and we couldn’t be more excited to finally get it into your hands.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘3.11.1 Not importing Venue’ is closed to new replies.