Working with a Dev. site

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Working with a Dev. site

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Felicity Dougherty
    Participant

Hi

We are working with a dev site and then rolling data from this site to our live site. We have noticed that the events calendar does not seem to roll over changes between the two. Is this a licensing issue? If so what would the recommended solution be?

Thanks –

Audacious Team

Geoff B.

Good evening Felicity and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

We have noticed that the events calendar does not seem to roll over changes between the two.

I am not exactly sure how you are migrating from the dev site to the live site.
    But, as long as you are using a proper DB migration tool (plugin or other), the calendar and its events should be identical in both places.

Normally, licensing should not impact functionality (only update capability): https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-one-license-live-dev-sites/

Would you mind expanding a bit on how the calendar is different between your dev and live sites ? Ideally with some URL examples.

Hang in there!

Geoff B.

Felicity Dougherty
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your response! It seems that we ran into a license key issue and have resolved it for the minute however we are on to stage 2 of the website and need to reactivate the dev site for some work. We have previously used a dev. but I think this is where we ran into problems with the license keys! I’ve read the https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-one-license-live-dev-sites/ and have spoken to my systems admin but I can’t find where I can get any of these domains from so we can transfer the dev site to this… sorry if it’s a real silly question but where do I get a .dev .test. .staging etc from? Is this only something available with the bigger staging providers?
    Thanks, Felicity and Team AD

Geoff B.

Good evening Felicity,

I am glad you are making progress.
    Just to avoid confusion, the only reason you might need the license key is to be able to update the plugins from the wp-admin > plugins menu.

In other words, if  you do not need to update “automatically” on your dev environment, you can forget about the license keys altogether.

With that in mind, here is our best tutorial to move license keys around: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/moving-your-license-keys/

That way you can still work with a dev site, even if you do not have a .staging or .test domain name

To answer your question more specifically, these domains can be used as long as you are:

1. Using a local install (e.g.: Local by Flywheel)
    2. Using a subdomain that contains “words” such as “test” or “staging”

But as I said, you should not overly worry about this, the license key is not necessary for the plugins to work.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Working with a Dev. site’ is closed to new replies.