WooTickets/WooCommerce Stock increasing, not reducing

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus WooTickets/WooCommerce Stock increasing, not reducing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Eric Putnam
    Participant

I noticed that WooTickets/WooCommerce Stock increasing, not reducing. This is a HUGE DEAL if you have events that SELL OUT.

I have everything setup the same as on the docs. https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/new-user-primer-woocommerce-tickets/ which i believe defaults to virtual products for tickets.

However, when the tickets sell the stock increases (most of the time, perhaps every time) and does not decrease which means if you have a sold out event you WILL OVER SELL!

I had an event that sold out in a day. Luckily I was watching the progress and was able to catch this and manually un-publish the ticket product.

After reading the trouble shooting tips I copied the site and spun up a new development (paypal sandbox) environment with only WP, WooCommerce, Tribe Events, Woo Tickets and the 2013 Theme.

I created a test event with $1 tickets and a stock of 50 using the default virtual product settings. I purchased 50 tickets in one order then paid via the PP sandbox. When I returned to the testing development site the stock had remained the same 0 sold.

So, I went into the orders and manually completed the order. Then, returned to the event edit page to see the stock being listed as 100. I also check the reports section (sold 50) and the product inventory on the edit page for woocommerce (stock 100).

I changed the woocommerce product for tickets from a virtual product to normal product. Then purchased 50 more tickets via the sand box. then went back to the event and the tickets display as sold out. I did not have to manually complete the order.

So I am thinking that the stock will only decrease if the products are not marked as virtual (which is the default). Which means i will have to manually go to the woocommerce product page and uncheck the virtual product.

HERE’S MY QUESTION:

How do i make it so the new tickets are not automatically added as virtual?
    Why does this happen?
    When will this be fixed?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Eric Putnam.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Brian.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Brian.
    Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the issues you are having. I can help troubleshoot this with you.

First we do not modify the checkout process in WooCommerce so this issue can easily turn out to be with their plugin and nothing we can do.

When we have had this issue come up in the past the issue is Paypal is not connecting back to the site and letting it know the payment is complete.

Either through a timeout or incorrect setting.

For orders that do not get tickets or not showing up in the attendees, what do the notes say in the order? Does Paypal send the completed payment note?

Let me know and we can go from here.

Thanks

Eric Putnam
    Participant

For orders that do not get tickets or not showing up in the attendees, what do the notes say in the order? Does Paypal send the completed payment note?

The orders are resolved no problem. the issue is that the inventory goes up (aka increases stock). which allows folks to buy beyond the capacity of our venue. The stock is not just staying at the original amount.

I am not 100% sure that switching off virtual products worked either. it is my understanding that WooCommerce will auto-complete paid orders that contain only virtual-downloadable products, but won’t auto-complete other orders. that should affect inventory correct?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Eric Putnam.
    Brian
    Keymaster

Ok thanks for the information, but what about the order notes in the order itself?

Is Paypal sending the correct information can you copy a couple of those? Is there any errors?

Is the stock increasing in WooCommerce or is it increasing only in the attendees list?

Thanks

Eric Putnam
    Participant

The stock is increasing in both.

I have so many orders. I will have to run a new test.

I’ll report back.

Does woo commerce automatically mark virtual orders as complete?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Eric Putnam.
    Eric Putnam
    Participant

I did a test again today on the development sandbox site but the stock adjusted this time right away.

I looked over orders from before.

All of them say.. Order status changed from Processing to Completed.

Only some of them have notes that also say stock has been decreased.

The order notes that do have stock decreasing also have a PayPal IPN message.

I think I know but need to confirm.

When is the stock changed?
    I’m also wondering if an order is canceled is the stock reduced?

Brian
    Keymaster

WooCommerce waits for a confirmation from Paypal in order to reduce stock, which usually is the source of this issue as sometimes that connection is delayed or not done at all.

If an order is canceled I think WooCommerce should add the stock back.

Let me know what you find out about the other orders.

Thanks

Eric Putnam
    Participant

Right so if WooCommerce waits for a confirmation from Paypal in order to reduce stock, the stock should stay the same not increase.

Any idea why the stock is increasing?

Eric Putnam
    Participant

it is my understanding that WooCommerce will auto-complete paid orders that contain only virtual-downloadable products, but won’t auto-complete other orders. Is that correct?

Brian
    Keymaster

Is the stock increasing on the attendees page and in the Product page for the ticket too?

It is downloadable products that WooCommerce Autocompletes.

Eric Putnam
    Participant

It is increasing on both yes.

Brian
    Keymaster

How strange, we are not able to reproduce that.

In the paypal section of the payment gateway if you have a different email addresses for PayPal Email and Receiver Email. I saw reports that people had the same issue.

If you have Manage Stock turned off in the inventory tab that could be another source of this, but I do not think that is the case here.

WooCommerce > Settings > Products > Inventory

Also there you could try increasing the “Hold Stock (minutes)” to 60 plus minutes to give enough time for the payment process to complete.

I found other people reporting this with WooCommerce in this search as well.

Finally, from what I found out Woocommerce by default does not restock canceled orders.

Eric Putnam
    Participant

The email addresses for PayPal Email and Receiver Email are the same manage stock is on.

I have seen this issue in the forums a lot but no solutions.

I enabled the Payment Data Transfer (PDT) instead of IPN. and I’m going to test some more.

Brian
    Keymaster

The issue is this is 100% WooCommerce’s coding and we have no control over their coding and it only seems to be happening with Paypal as well. So we try to support this the best we can, but a change might have to be made with them.

As the basic level we are creating a product with some extra custom fields and not modifying the checkout or order process with the standard WooCoommerce Tickets or Tickets Plus.

Also, what is your “Hold Stock (minutes)” limit set in WooCommerce?

Eric Putnam
    Participant

The stock was hold for 60 minutes. That’s not the issue. The issue is that the stock is increasing.

After reading https://docs.woothemes.com/document/paypal-standard/#section-9 and confirming everything is properly set up and reading this: https://github.com/woothemes/woocommerce/issues/782

I’m assuming the wootickets plugin has been thoroughly tested and since you are not able to replicate the issue.. I’m wondering if there’s a correlation between everyone that has reported this issue.

1. in the default setup of woocommerce.. paypal is the payment gateway, using IPN, the tickets are virtual products with inventory management.

2. The paypal IPN is not reporting back to woocommerce correctly. Even with PayPal Identity Token, the api credentials, and fsock enabled.

3. some possible issues may be a glitch in the way woocommerce handles inventory which adds an item, when tickets sell quickly there’s a glitch or overload on the server, and/or a cache blocking paypal from reporting the sale.

4. So far after enabling PDT payment I have had zero issues. However I am not able to recreate the amount of traffic that may cause the glitch.

I’m going to contact my host and see if they can help me troubleshoot the issue. I would like to help “solve” this issue. So perhaps the documentation can be changed to prevent this from happening to others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘WooTickets/WooCommerce Stock increasing, not reducing’ is closed to new replies.