Questions about my Event Aggregator subscription

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Questions about my Event Aggregator subscription

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

My event aggregater plugin is now not allowing any new urls to be added?

I’ve PAID for this plugin (aka it’s mine) and you remotely disable it? Please explain how you allowed to break the law?

I OWN IT. It is illegal in Australia for you to disable something I OWN. That’s called hacking, and that is illegal.

It’s bad enough your renewal prices are the same (give or take $10) from your full price. (and also if you buy a bundle, you don’t get bundle pricing on renewal, you pay individual full prices).

Barry

Hi Chris,

Thanks for contacting us and I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced some frustration.

I’ve PAID for this plugin (aka it’s mine) and you remotely disable it? Please explain how you allowed to break the law?

We have no desire to break the law and, unless I’m misunderstanding the situation, have not done so here.

Let me explain how Event Aggregator works: it is not in fact a plugin and so you have not downloaded it or installed it on your website. By the same token we have not remotely disabled it, either. Rather, Event Aggregator is a service which runs on our own servers (which is where all the work of interfacing with Facebook, Meet Up and other data sources happens, sparing your own website from the effort).

The Events Calendar on the other hand is our core plugin, which is freely available and which you should not have paid for. It is however capable of talking to and taking advantage of our Event Aggregator service – but to do this you must have a valid license key.

In your case, it looks as if you do not currently have a valid Event Aggregator key and you will require one if you wish to continue taking advantage of our service.

I OWN IT. It is illegal in Australia for you to disable something I OWN. That’s called hacking, and that is illegal.

It’s worth reiterating: we have not hacked or modified anything on your server and we have no means of doing so.

It is further worth us reiterating that the Event Aggregator service is not something you own — it is a service you subscribe to and that you can easily take advantage of as a user of The Events Calendar.

Should it help, you can think of it as being similar to your internet service. To take advantage of the internet you generally need some sort of computer, but, at least in most countries, you will be unable to connect to the internet unless you pay for that service. If you do not renew your internet subscription, the service stops.

It’s bad enough your renewal prices are the same (give or take $10) from your full price. (and also if you buy a bundle, you don’t get bundle pricing on renewal, you pay individual full prices).

We definitely welcome your feedback on this, as it is something we only recently adjusted. Ultimately, we did this to provide a reliable and sustainable service that people could rely on now and well into the future and I’m sorry to hear it has upset you – but we did it for the best of reasons.

I appreciate you are somewhat frustrated at this point but I hope my explanation puts your mind at ease: we would never hack a customer’s website or actively disable software running on it; we do however seek to charge a fair price for a service we provide.

If I can assist further or you have additional questions please let me know.

Chris
    Participant

Wait… where exactly is it CLEAR that you replaced a LOCAL plugin with a HOSTED SERVICE?

Where is that and WHY did you not CLEARLY tell us that you are doing that. EVERY customer using agrigator now has to modify their privacy policy letting them know that their data will be transmitted through (probably USA)

We (and most sites in most western countries) have to specify EVERY country our website data passes through (by law), yet you have no disclosed that you are taking data sensitive to our business and passing it through a 3rd party server?

I PAID for the facebook plugin, which was local, during the year I PAID you discontinued it and told me to move to this new LOCAL plugin which turns out out be NOT LOCAL and lacks features of the original.

You then discontinued the plugin (during the period that I paid for it) and then tell me that in fact I paid for NOTHING but a link to your servers?

This service should be FREE. This is fraud, and a MASSIVE privacy violation. You need to NOTIFY EVERY USER that they have to put this in their privacy policy or are breaking the law.

I had no idea this was a service. The ONLY reference to being a service at all is in this statement.

I PURCHASED the FACEBOOK and ICAL plugins (waste of money that was, literally went into the air)

“Event Aggregator builds on our previous iCal Importer and Facebook Events plugins by combining their best features and adding additional functionality – then wrapping it all into one convenient service.”

But in fact you’re not building ‘on top of’, you REBUILT it totally separately with LIMITATIONS.

Your sales page should CLEARLY state that this is a COMPLETELY 3rd Party HOSTED SOLUTION! you are being deciptive.

I CAN NOT HOST DATA IN THE USA, I CAN NOT PASS DATA THROUGH THE USA. SOME OF MY CLIENTS FORBIT THIS. DO YOU REALISE HOW MUCH TROUBLE I WILL BE IN IF I CONTINUE TO USE YOUR SERVICE! (and I’ll be suing you if I get sued, as there is NO disclosure that this is anything but local).

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Chris.
    Barry

Chris,

You are clearly very frustrated and on our side we need to think about what we might change in our messaging to provide better guidance to you and other users in future.

Your sales page should CLEARLY state that this is a COMPLETELY 3rd Party HOSTED SOLUTION! you are being deciptive.

I disagree, we’re not being deceptive by any means and we don’t seek to trick people into thinking they have a plugin when in fact they are interfacing with a service.

The fact that Event Aggregator largely functions as a remote service is something that’s pivotal to the way it works and is one of its chief benefits: we have no reason to hide that and are – as ever – happy to answer any questions our users have about how it works.

This exchange does however highlight that there is room for confusion and clearly we need to address that so that all parties are fully equipped with the facts.

Barry

This reply is private.

Chris
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

This reply is private.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Questions about my Event Aggregator subscription’ is closed to new replies.