Week View Broken by Theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Week View Broken by Theme

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dupagechildrens
    Participant

When attempting to view a week of events, the columns don’t size right and no events appear. Additionally, the admin bar at the top of the screne doesn’t load and remains blank. I’ve looked at other forum posts about week view problems, but haven’t hit upon the solution.

I have determined, however, that it is a theme conflict. On a test site, I reverted the theme to 2013 and the week loads correctly. When I change back to my theme, it’s broken again. I didn’t check for any plugin conflicts, since this appears to be it. I don’t know how much you can help, but I am using a child theme of Green Earth v 1.03 by Goodlayers. When I use the original Green Earth theme, the week view is still messed up, but different. The events do show up below the hourly grid (scrolling down), as if that layer of the display is printing underneath the grid, rather than over it. Also, the admin bar does appear in the original theme. Any suggestions as to where to look from here?

Barry

Hmm, that’s a shame.

It sounds like perhaps a Javascript error might be taking place. Right now you seem to have week view disabled (understandably!) so it’s hard to guess. Would it be possible for you to reactivate it for 24-48hrs so we can take a peak?

Thanks!

dupagechildrens
    Participant

Just discovered something else that may be related because it’s disabling my theme’s javascript. I’ve created a single-event.php file in a tribe-events folder in my child theme. I’ve just realized that enabling that template breaks a lot of the theme’s javascript, though all scripts appear in the <head>.

I don’t know if there is theme logic or wp logic that is doing this, because I also noticed class ‘no-customize-support’ in the body tag of a single event when my custom template is used.

To test this out in relation to the week view, I disabled the default week.php and week folder in the tribe-events folder in my child theme (I hadn’t modified these at all). Disabling week.php appears to do nothing. Disabling the week folder brings the admin bar back. Does that information help you?

dupagechildrens
    Participant

On a test site, I found that the customized template file single-event.php works fine if I substitute it in The Events Calendar plugin folder. So it seems my theme has a problem dealing with the ‘tribe-events’ folder in my child theme. Again, I don’t know if this is a related issue to my original question, but I hope it gives helpful information. I’ll put my custom template in the plugin folder temporarily on my main site so it works how I want it to, and contact the theme developer to see if they have any answers. In the mean time, I’ll wait to see what you figure out on the week view issue. Thank you for your help.

Barry

OK, so with regards to the week view issue (and bearing in mind we probably won’t be able to do much at this point until Monday) can you give your thoughts re my last post:

Right now you seem to have week view disabled (understandably!) so it’s hard to guess. Would it be possible for you to reactivate it for 24-48hrs so we can take a peak?

dupagechildrens
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

OK, thanks!

It looks like these issues stem from the following line of CSS:

.column, .columns { float: left; display: inline; margin: 0px 10px 20px 10px; position: relative;}

Which lives in {your-theme}/stylesheet/skeleton-responsive.css around line 26., as it targets all elements that use the CSS class “column” (though that’s a pretty generic keyword and so its rules are also impacting on week view columns, as an example).

Commenting that line out, or removing it, should resolve this. That’s not ideal of course because it does serve a purpose: it would be smarter to essentially “undo” it’s work only in relation to week view columns using something like (and please note this is by no means a complete solution):

.tribe-events-week .column { float: inherit; display: inherit; margin: inherit; position: inherit; }

You would need to build up on that, however, and also ensure it is also enqueued some time after skeleton-responsive.css …and ideally but not necessarily before our own stylesheets, depending on how you tackle this.

Does that help at all?

dupagechildrens
    Participant

Yes, that should help with the week display. I’ll specify my css using your second suggestion so my skeleton css is preserved. Thank you very much!

Apart from that, there is the javascript issue. In a previous post on this thread, I spoke of some theme javascript not working on event posts/views. Since this doesn’t look related to the css issue on week view, should this be a new topic? If we can continue here, I suspect a jquery conflict. Would you be able to check for that? If this needs to be a new topic, I’ll start a new one.

Barry

We do like to keep to a policy of one issue per thread – it helps when other customers research for issues related to their own and also helps us to deliver service fairly to all our users, so that would be great. We’ll certainly look into it and see if it is something we can help with.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Week View Broken by Theme’ is closed to new replies.