Web Crawl Errors

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Web Crawl Errors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Cary Bergeron
    Participant

So I am getting about 40,000 404 errors all from the event plugin. Every single link looks similar to this with the date at the end…
    http://www.gocolorado.com/events/category/recreation/2011-07-24
    my permalinks are set up as /%category%/%postname%/ and I can not change this. What is causing this? Also I have not updated to the most recent version yet.

Cary Bergeron
    Participant

Still looking for a solution to this

Rob

Hey Cary. Sorry about the delay; you posted this the day I headed out for the holidays and I’m just getting back online today.

On that URL you included…what is the actual post title there? Weirdly the link is just going from category to event date (normally a behavior of recurrence patterns), though I see you note that the structure should be /%category%/%postname%/. Might you have another plugin active that is conflicting, possibly one that alters or relates in any way to the slug/permalink structures?

I would suggest updating to 2.0.2 of both PRO and free (you can always revert back to 2.0.1 if for some reason it gives you problems), to see if that solves anything. I can keep looking into this as needed from there.

Cary Bergeron
    Participant

Yeah I am using WP No Category Base plugin, so this may have something to do with it. I will upgrade to 2.0.2 and see if they helps.

Rob

I would suggest doing the update first; and if that doesn’t do anything, if you can, test whether the issue persists with WP No Category Base deactivated. It’s quite possible that is causing an issue here that we could try and identify for resolution upon confirmation.

Cary Bergeron
    Participant

Ok so I upgraded to 2.0.2 and that didn’t help. I then deactivated WP No Category Base and it is still doing it. Whenever I click on a date link on the calender I get a 404 page.

Cary Bergeron
    Participant

This url works http://www.gocolorado.com/events/2012-01-14/, but If I am under a category like the link I posted above it gives a 404.

Rob

Thanks Cary. Any chance you’d be willing to set me up with a set of admin credentials to the site, so I could take a look? If you are up to that, please send them over to rob at tri.be, along with a link to this thread for context, and I can try to figure out what’s up by taking a look at the backend.

We’ll keep trying to resolve this for you. Nobody else has had this particular issue, though, so finding a resolution isn’t as easy as merely digging up an old support thread on the same topic 🙂

Tony

I had the same thing happening on my install. In calendar view, every single day was a link to a 404 unless that date had at least one event.

So, when you crawl the site, you can infinitely find 404 links because you can go forward infinite months. Eventually, each new month will never have an event posted and I was scraping non existent pages into the year 2027 before I saw what was going on.

Why does the plugin create a link to date that has no event? I fail to see the value there…

Rob

Well, the individual day links are included to allow for the single day view (so you can see all events happening on a single day). But on every environment I’ve tested on, and when I just tried to recreate your issue now, I wasn’t having any problems…you click into a day that has no events, and it should show you a message like this: http://cl.ly/2A3v0z1C1F1t3Z151P26.

If there is an issue with that single day view link not working, it’s possible you’re either running an older version of the plugin (this was a bug in one of the pre-2.0.2 builds) or that there’s another plugin conflicting here. This possible in your case, Tony?

Tony

I’d have to go verify what actual page I was getting when clicking on a link to a day without any events. I am using a modified list.php though, so I think I got a slightly different message detailing the same situation.

However, my question remains why is there a link generated in calendar view to days that have no events? Seems kind of pointless to create an infinite number of links to an infinite number of days without any events. Why not just generate a a day link on days that have events? That way, you avoid sending crawlers into a never ending cycle of content-less pages.

To clarify, I see this as not so much a technical bug but a logic bug.

Tony

Sorry, I forgot to add this was using WordPress 3.3, the most current version of The Events Calendar from .org and Events Calendar Pro 2.0.2 on a fresh install. No other plugins in use and the default Twenty Eleven theme was selected.

Cary Bergeron
    Participant

Rob,

I need to confirm with the boss man if that is ok. You want Wordpess admin, or that and ftp access?

Rob

Hey Cary. Just WP access would be fine to start with. Hopefully we could identify the issue from there.

Tony: Thanks for confirming. The reasoning behind making the eventless-days clickable (and we went back and forth on this internally) is because from a usability standpoint, it felt weird having certain dates clickable and other ones not. We could have had it all one way or the other; but since we wanted to include Single Day View as a PRO feature (because a lot of users had requested it), we opted to have all days become clickable. That way there can be no confusion in a frontend reader’s mind whether events are taking place on a given day or not – if not, it’ll clearly tell them as per my previous screenshot.

You raise a good point on it, though…if it’s creating an issue for users we may have thought too much about it. Is the general consensus on here that it’d be preferable to not have this?

Tony

Thanks for te reply and the I sight on the decision process.

It seems to be very clear to me that if a day has events, then the day should be clickable. However, if there is nothing on that day, it should be clear why there is nothing clickable. Links should go somewhere!

Think of it in terms of the Calendar widget. The widget only displays a tooltip when there is something to show. The clickable event-less days is like having a tooltip there saying “no events scheduled for today” when you mouse over every event-less day.

Also, I am not an SEO expert in any way, but it seems like a major SEO problem to have an infinite number of links to the same or non-existent information. There should be a fallback to handle cases where users stumble on to dates without events, but by no means should there be a generator of infinite no-event-day links.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Web Crawl Errors’ is closed to new replies.