Venue Link Update

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Venue Link Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    techuser
    Participant

Hello,

We just updated to the latest events calendar pro, in the previous version we were able to take a user submitted event in editing, create a new venue in a separate tab, and then simply resume editing the event without needing to refresh. Not sure if this was an AJAX feature that is no longer automatically done, but noticed that with the newest version we need to refresh the editing page for the event in question in order for the venue to show up as a selection. Previously this new venue would just populate automatically.

Is this an easy fix?

Thanks!

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric!

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I don’t think the venue selector search through AJAX was a feature before.

Just to confirm, could you please let me know what previous versions of our plugins were you using before updating?

Thanks,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

Interesting. Is there any other mechanism it would be auto populating in the event set up by? Perhaps it used to create the venue when the 3rd party user would submit an event and thus our admins would have always had it in the list prior to verifying the venue?

We had Version 3.12.2

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric!

Thanks for following up.

There is no built-in setting to enable AJAX in the venue selector, unless there was some custom coding to achieve that.

I’ve also checked version 3.12.2 of Events Calendar PRO and that’s not a functionality either.

As you mention, there is a chance a user have already submitted a venue through the frontend submission form, thus showing up in the venue selector when creating an event.

Is there anything else I can help you with? Let me know

Best,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

Is it possible that the old form would automatically make a venue and now it is not?

techuser
    Participant

According to our site admin, “It always allowed me to add new venues from the page. The drop-down menu with previously used venues had an option to “Add New Venue” at the very top of the menu. That option is now gone.”

Now I have to save as draft, leave the page, add a new venue, save, go back to the page, refresh, and then select the new venue. That adds a lot of time to my process.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric!

Yes, there is a setting to prevent users from creating new venues. You can deactivate it by navigating to your WP Admin > Events > Settings > Community tab and leave the Users cannot create new Venues option unchecked.

Does it work for you? Let me know

Best,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

This has been unchecked

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric!

Thanks for checking.

Just to confirm, even with that option unchecked, are you still unable to create new venues through the community submission form?

If so, this could be related to a theme or plugin conflict. I see you have tried the following:

• Deactivated all other plugins? Yes
    • Switched to a default theme? Yes

Did you happen to notice a difference when deactivating all other plugins or switching to a default WordPress theme, like Twenty Seventeen? What happens if you try deactivating all plugins and switching to the Twenty Seventeen theme together? Do you notice a difference then?

If you see no difference in those conditions, then we’ll need to do some deeper troubleshooting.

Please let me know about it.

Thanks,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

We have run the conventional trouble shooting. I do believe this is what changed from the previous version according to the sites admin:

I noticed that there is no longer a function in the form to simply create a venue, but that they have to find the “Create” option in the form and intuitively know to click it (it doesnt look clickable when searching for “create”) to bring up the create your own venue fields.

The admin can still create venues fine. The problem is with the drop-down menu on the back end. Before the update it had all of the events on the menu but it also had “Add New Venue” at the top. When I clicked on “Add New Venue” it gave me blank fields to create my own venue. Then, it automatically applied it to that event.

Now, I have to open a separate tab, go to the venue page, click the “Add New” button, fill out the information, save it, go back to my event page, save it, refresh, then find the venue on the drop-down menu. I don’t mean to complain but it has added a lot of time to my process.

Is there a way to bring back that feature? We love all other updates

Thanks!

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric!

Thanks for testing that out and for following up with this.

Now, I have to open a separate tab, go to the venue page, click the “Add New” button, fill out the information, save it, go back to my event page, save it, refresh, then find the venue on the drop-down menu.

I believe you’re making extra steps that are not needed. While on the edit event form, you can create a new venue by typing the venue name and then hit enter. This will display the new venue fields below, which you can fill in and once you save the event, the venue will be linked to the event. There’s no need to open a new tab to create the venue.

Are you experiencing something different that prevents you from creating the venue like this? Let me know about it.

Thanks,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

I just asked our admin.

Now what about for the 3rd party user who wants to add an even with a new venue? Is there a way that form can be changed so you can create a new venue in a more intuitive way than needing to search for the word Create in the drop down of existing venues?

Thanks!

techuser
    Participant

This was there response:

It’s not working for me. There is a blank venue line at the top of the drop down menu. I was able to paste the address into the empty venue field. But the spinner wouldn’t quit spinning and the results of the form wouldnt change as if frozen. When I tried to click on the address the cursor wouldn’t even point at it, let alone select it. So I hit enter and it chose the top venue on the current point of the list, not the new one.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Thanks for following up with this.

Is there a way that form can be changed so you can create a new venue in a more intuitive way than needing to search for the word Create in the drop down of existing venues?

There is no built-in setting to modify this behaviour, but it could be possible to achieve with some custom coding.

It seems there is some sort of conflict with the venue creation form. Could you please share with us a screenshot of how that looks on your site?

Also, please see if there are any console errors by inspecting the event submission page? We have an article that explains how to do that here > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-google-chrome-developer-tools/

How about when creating the event from the WP Admin, do you experience the same behaviour? If so, are there any console errors showing up?

Please let us know about it.

Thanks,
    Victor

techuser
    Participant

Hello!

So when creating an even on the user end it appears that we simply need to add a line of instructions that tells users to type in the name of their new venue and hit Create in the dropdown?

I attached the console image.

Also, I added a screenshot of the WP-admin/backend where our admin claims the changes happened. Apparently there used to be a button to add a new venue or you could type in a new venue name, but now you cannot:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Venue Link Update’ is closed to new replies.