Venue geolocations not working

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Venue geolocations not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – for some time now I have not been able to get the geolocations to work. This is very sad as the map view is one of the main reasons I use Pro. I have tried everything possible, including adding the snippet of code that has been recommended and also purchasing a dedicated IP address.

Please can someone kindly try to get to the bottom of this for me as I have spent hours trying to research and resolve it but still no joy. I now have 22 venues without geolocations, and it grows each day. I am not in a position to add the long and lat manually for each one!

As you will know – this happens either when adding a new venue or when trying to fix venue data via the settings.

Geoff B.

Good evening Sally and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the Geolocation not working properly on your install. Yikes!
    I would love to help you with this topic.

It sounds like the issue is caused by some of the calls to Google maps not being made through the API.

What that means is that in spite of your Google API key AND dedicated IP, some of these calls are still going through your webhost’s IP address.

The good news is that is issue has been flagged to be bumped to a higher priority.
    We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this glitch.

Alas, I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed, as it’s in the development team’s hands now.
    They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

But rest assured that you will be contacted as soon as a fix is available.
    Thank you for your patience as we see this through.

In the meantime, there are still a couple of things that you could do:

1. Typically the latitude and longitude do not need to be entered manually. Simply checking the box and saving fetches the coordinates automatically. I would recommend testing that approach since it would save a ton of time.
    2. I realize this is not great, but switching to an actual VPS hosting (Virtual Private Server) would fix the issue. There is a lot of competition in that area and the prices are now really interesting. Not to mention many hosts offer to move your site to them for free.

It might feel overkill, but at this point in time, it sounds like it would be the most time-efficient solution.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have unfortunately.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Thanks Geoff.

You mention:
    “Typically the latitude and longitude do not need to be entered manually. Simply checking the box and saving fetches the coordinates automatically. I would recommend testing that approach since it would save a ton of time”

.. and I tried it but it does not work. When I check that box and then click update, the check disappears and I get the same error message as before ie “The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps API daily query limit has been reached!”

I cannot consider VPS hosting – particularly without seeing first hand that it will work. It was on this forum that someone said that a dedicated IP address should work.. and it didn’t – and anyway the costs are too high.

I really appreciate your help with this. If we can at least get the automatic completion of the latitude and longitude working that would be incredibly helpful.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Venue geolocations not working’ is closed to new replies.