Venue Dropdown with Large Dataset Needs Optimization

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Venue Dropdown with Large Dataset Needs Optimization

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cliff
    Participant

I’ve got a little over 2,000 venues. The Event Submission page was taking about 59 seconds (!) to load, and I took it all the way back down to 3 seconds by removing the tribe_community_events_venue_select_menu() call.

This took quite a bit of time to track down. I wasn’t expecting 2k to be a number that would break things quite so much. I’d recommend either lazy loading larger data sets or defaulting back to a standard dropdown.

George
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

I’m sorry this slowed things down so much on your site – when it comes to improving performance, we’re on the same page with you and have many performance improvements planned over the next few releases.

Your feedback is genuinely appreciated. Let me know if you have any further thoughts here, or other questions/concerns/etc.

Thank you,
    George

Cliff
    Participant

Cool. Further thoughts would be: specific communication around this specific issue would be helpful. It’s understood that “performance improvements” are forthcoming, but knowing when this particular one will be handled dictates what kind of fix I need to build right now.

For instance, while I can probably just remove it for this one particular project, I’m also having to find a way to remove this dropdown from the backend entirely, which is much more difficult and will likely demand a custom solution from me. :/

George
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

How many venues are on your site? Just curious.

I’m sorry you’re going to such great lengths to improve performance. I’ll highlight a comment of yours from above:

but knowing when this particular one will be handled dictates what kind of fix I need to build right now.

I agree with you on that, but I just genuinely do not know the specific date when a specific fix will arrive for this. We have lots of things we’re always working on and I don’t want to make an empty promise for a specific date only to not have anything deliver on that date πŸ™‚

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks,
    George

Cliff
    Participant

Only 2,000, as mentioned in my first post. πŸ™‚

George
    Participant

Apologies for forgetting that detail @cliff! Thanks for the reminder πŸ™‚

That is a large, non-normative amount of venues, but regardless of that, please know that we are working on this and will include improvements as soon as we’re able to do so.

Stay tuned to product updates, and read the “Changelogs” of the updates to see if improvements have arrived yet.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Venue Dropdown with Large Dataset Needs Optimization’ is closed to new replies.