User view preference

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO User view preference

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Claffy
    Participant

My calendar is on my home page. I am looking to allow my users to select their default calendar view in their user profile. Since I can set the view via the shortcode in the page, is this doable with a custom field in their profile?

Geoff

Hey Thomas, welcome back and hope all is well!

That’s a really interesting idea! However, there is no setting or feature in our plugins that would add that preference to a user’s profile.

That would make for a good feature request though. If we were to build something like this (not guaranteeing that we can), how do you envision that working? Specifically, I’m wondering where a user would specify their preferred calendar view: would it be an option in the calendar on the front end of the site, or would it be an option they would configure when signed into the WordPress admin? Or something else altogether?

Cheers!
    Geoff

Thomas Claffy
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

After actually mulling this over, I would prefer to do it with a cookie. If you have an event that fires when the view is changed, I would write it then and set it when the calendar is shown. I have a child theme set up so I assume I could implement this in a child template? Not even sure what that code would look like; I’m going to end up learning PHP sooner or later if I keep dabbling with WordPress. I guess this type of code is beyond your level of support? It would need to look like if the page = my event calendar page and this is the 1st time it is being shown and the view setting exists in the cookie then set the view.

This came up because of the pesky feature image. Some users love the graphical look and feel and other ocd users do not like the ragged look when there is no featured image and then there is the share problem on Facebook when the image is not large enough, FB just picks an image from some other event. So I seem to recall seeing some code where I can size my image which you seem to be doing with the photo view. I would like to size it so it share consistently and hide it in the list view and then keep track of their preferred view via a cookie and hopefully make everyone happy between a uniform list view, a graphical photo view and broad month view.

Sorry for expanding the topic. I can move part of this if you prefer. Just trying to expand and explain what I am trying to accomplish and why.

Tom

Geoff

Hey Tom,

Oh yeah, storing that in a cookie would certainly be one way to do it.

I dug into our documentation and was unable to find a function you could use to tap into when the view switches.

That said, the switch does fire AJAX, so I wonder if that would be a way for you to hook into the action and store a cookie as a result. You are right unfortunately, that this level of custom development is not supported here in the forums, but I think you are on an interesting and realistic path to accomplishing it.

In the meantime, I went ahead and took the liberty of writing up a formal feature request for you that covers the idea of having an option for registered site visitors who are logged into WordPress:

Please add your vote if this is something you’d like to see. I cannot guarantee that we will build this, but more votes will certainly increase the likelihood. 🙂

Cheers,
    Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘User view preference’ is closed to new replies.