Upgraded to 3.10 Suggestions for Brook RE: Dealing with PHP deprecation notices

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Upgraded to 3.10 Suggestions for Brook RE: Dealing with PHP deprecation notices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    davecfraser
    Participant

Brook,

Imagine just for one second you’re a business person, who is busy trying to run his business and just wants the calendar he installed a few years ago to just continue to work. Wouldn’t you be a little ticked if developers decided to re-name everything and then provide no easy one-click way of updating? Wouldn’t you be ticked if your site started looking like crap because of this renaming? Wouldn’t you be ticked if there was no real warning beforehand (remember you’re a busy business person you don’t read your “fun updates” e-mail from the folks at Modern Tribe)?

Wouldn’t you also be a bit pissed if the documention for how to fix this problem (https://theeventscalendar.com/dealing-with-php-deprecation-notices-after-updating-to-3-10/#explanation-php-deprecation-notice) can be summarize like this:

1. These notices mean: we renamed everything because it’s easier for US, not the end user
    2. You can just disable the error messages: Here: I’m too lazy to explain how but read this other lengthy post.
    3. Oh, you don’t like the idea of errors on your website (what you don’t just put a piece of black tape over your check engine light??): ok well just to re-iterate we decided to randomly rename stuff, so just do a “simple” search and replace. (Notice the lack of explaining which files contain the code, or HOW to do a search and replace. I’ve spent 20 minutes trying to find the code and I’m completely lost.)

No list of “Here’s all the names of the functions and what we’re renamed them to” ?

I’m no expert but I’m 50% sure there could have been a way to update people’s files and avoid the whole deprecated issue. I’m 100% sure you could have planned the function names better beforehand to make this renamming issue non-existant.

Here’s what I’ve managed to figure out:

1. This is taking way too much of my time.

2. I’ve disabled the debug messages in wp-config.php still getting errors.

3. I can’t find the code and have no idea where to start.

Rob

Hi Dave! Great feedback here. I’ve just sent you an email so we can continue this discussion in the most productive way possible. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgraded to 3.10 Suggestions for Brook RE: Dealing with PHP deprecation notices’ is closed to new replies.