upgrade from Events Calendar Pro 1.3.0

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO upgrade from Events Calendar Pro 1.3.0

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lluis
    Participant

We are upgrading a site that was developed some years ago.
    Everything is upgrading ok, it doesn’t have a lot of plugins, just a few, but I’m having problem just with TEC.

There is installed the Events Calendar Pro 1.3.0, so I purchased the actual Pro license.
    First I tried to upgrade from 1.3.0 to 1.5 (the first available version in https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/) but the name of the folder is diferent and I don’t know how to do this first step.

Thank you in advance to explain me the proces of upgrading from 1.3.0

George
    Participant

Hey Lluis,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, this is quite an interesting predicament since 1.3.0 is extremely outdated. That unfortunately means that there isn’t really an upgrade process, other than just manually upgrading carefully.

Basically, since you’re already upgrading one version at a time, here’s how I’d recommend approaching each upgrade:

1. Make a complete back-up of your site and database – if you’re not familiar with this process, there are many different ways you can go about actually creating backups, but as long as you find a method that is relatively easy for you to do, and you are able to restore from it, that’s fine.

2. Upgrade to the next major release. This means, for example, not worrying about the “third digit” in the version numbers, but just the secondary ones. So no need to go from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1, for example, but going from 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 and so on should be a good way to do this.

A note on actually performing the upgrades: since you mention things like the folder names changing and such, I think the best approach here would be to manually upgrade in the /wp-content/plugins folder on your site, over FTP, instead of doing this in the admin-area of your WordPress site.

3. If the upgrade goes successfully, make another backup of everything like you did and step one, and repeat all the way until you’re running the most recent version of The Events Calendar on your site.

If you run into issues on a given upgrade, I’d recommend activating a default theme like Twenty Twelve, then deactivating every plugin on your site, then trying the installation again.

This process may seem tedious Lluis, and I’m sorry about your being in this situation, but it seems like the most safe and cautious way to go about doing this. I’m sure you can take a quite a bit of liberty here, skipping various version numbers to speed up the process as you see fit, but the important thing is just to make good backups before each upgrade, and doing the upgrades manually right over FTP where you wholly delete the existing folder and all of its files, then un-zip the next version and manually upload that new folder to your site’s /wp-content/plugins directory.

Let us know if this helps!

— George

Lluis
    Participant

Thank you George,

I’m the sysadmin of the server, no problem with backups and uploading the plugin versions into the plugins folder.

Just note that the installed version is “Events Calendar Pro 1.3.0” (the name of the plugin folder: “events-calendar-premium”, so:
    – ¿should I upgrade with the not-pro plugin versions from: https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/?
    – ¿where can I find the 1.4 version?

Anyway I supose that you always provided a valid upgrade process (from 1.3 to 1.4, 1.4 to 1.5, etc), so I supose it must not to be a problem to follow all that steps right now.

thank you

George
    Participant

Hey Lluis,

What version of The Events Calendar free version is installed on your site? You should bring that up to 3.9.3 with the piecemeal process I described above.

As for upgrading versions of PRO from 1.3.0, I’m sorry for my confusion there! Thanks for clarifying that. This is a bit trickier to manage since we don’t have the outdated versions as readily as available for PRO as we do for the free version – but if you have good backups that you can definitively restore from, then at your own discretion you may find it easiest to just go to https://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/ and download the latest .zip of PRO and try updating with that, all the way from from 1.3.0, and see how things go. If it’s a disaster, well, you’ve got your backups 🙂 This is not necessarily recommended, and something you should only do at your own discretion, but it may be the fastest way forward.

If you don’t want to do this, and want older .zips of PRO, I’d recommend emailing us at [email protected] with a description of your issues and a link back to this forum thread for reference. We should be able to send you .zips privately there.

Thank you Lluis!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘upgrade from Events Calendar Pro 1.3.0’ is closed to new replies.