Upgrade caused serious problems

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Upgrade caused serious problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sheila
    Participant

I’ve been away all summer and just came back to this question from a client using ECP w/ Community Events add-on. Her dashboard said “The following plugins are out of date: The Events Calendar: Community Events 1.0.2, Events Calendar PRO 2.0.8. Please update now. All add-ons contain dependencies on The Events Calendar and will not function properly unless paired with the right version. Want to pair an older version?”

OK…so I did a backup and went in and clicked to upgrade all the plug-ins. I thought it was all fine. This morning she reports that the calendar is no longer displaying what it was, rather it’s displaying the old calendar which is an html calendar being pulled in via an iframe. I don’t know how that’s even possible.

I’m asking my host to restore the backup but I don’t understand what went wrong. Once we have it back to working as it was pre-update, how should I be updating this.

Having not touched this in 3-4 months Iā€™m a bit fuzzy around the edges. This could be something simple but I would think that upgrading the plug-ins SHOULD have left any customizations in tact, right?!

Your insights greatly appreciated.

Andy Fragen

I found after I upgraded I had to go back to the Events > Settings > Templates and re-select ‘Default Events Template’ again.

Sheila
    Participant

Thanks Andy. That pointed me in the right direction. In my case it wasn’t that setting. The upgrade changed the default url slug back to “events” and my site is setup for it to be “calendar”! GEEZ….

ATTENTION STAFF…this is a bug in my view. Updates should NOT change any of my settings!

WHEW…glad to have that fixed so quickly.

Andy Fragen

Glad you got it figured out so quickly.

Sheila
    Participant

Me too. Thanks Andy.
    Meanwhile, ANOTHER issue that surfaces is that the template settings my HMTL in the Add HTML after calendar section disappeared. REALLY? Shouldn’t this stuff be retained with an upgrade. Did I do something wrong clicking to update the plugin? If so, that option shouldn’t come up! What gives here?

Tim Griffin
    Participant

Upgrade to 2.0.9 seriously had me holding my breath.

1) All events pages lost the custom styling we had applied to them (calendar, events list, single event post)…

2) All events had their urls changed rendering all our navigation menus broken on the site.

“What did I do wrong?” was the question in my mind…

So, here’s the fix after 20 minutes of sleuthing to figure out what could be done to resurrect the events calendar pages/posts.

1) Re-entering the correct urls. Hint – be sure to have these jotted down somewhere so you can quickly apply these with any future Events Calendar update. Question: should the URL settings always need to be manually corrected with each upgrade of the plugin?

2) Manually selecting the default events pro template setting which then allowed the custom templates we had in place to function properly once more. Question: is this setting going to remain in place with subsequent upgrades or will this also need to be reselected manually?

3) A few additional css styling edits where needed to have the previous and next posts links display properly. New classes are fine and I noted the changes mentioned on the tri.be release notes.

Thanks and if I missed anything or find something new I’ll update here šŸ™‚

Tim

Andy Fragen

Tim, good pick up. I didn’t even notice that my before/after HTML had been removed. Unfortunately is seems as if some/many of the set options have been reverted back to default.

@Rob et al, time for some checking into why that happened with this update.

Joel

I am also having serious issues similar to what is mentioned here. NOT a happy camper right now. I’m trying to revert my files and database back to 2.0.5.

Sheila
    Participant

Joel, I ended up not needing to revert. Just a few tweaks (that shouldn’t have been necessary) got mine all fixed up. Check the items mentioned in the posts above and see if you’re OK before reverting. Good luck.

Joel

Hi Sheila (and all who have helped). Thanks!

My “additional fields” have disappeared. Did anyone else have this issue? I am trying to find a fix and will post back if I find one.

Andy Fragen

Joel, I don’t think my fields disappeared but I know they changed. A new, automatic item ‘Off’ is in all dropdowns.

Joel

Ok. I had to try about a dozen guesses as to the exact text I used for the custom field, but when I re-created it (which I shouldn’t have to do?) it now shows on the site and all the data in the field for different events is still there! phew.

Barry

Hey everyone – first and foremost please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. It sounds like most of you have things in hand and it’s obviously late in the day to intervene, however we will of course take this on board and try to isolate the underlying issues.

Sheila
    Participant

Joel glad you got it sorted.
    Barry, I’m glad to know you’re on this. Presumably you’ll be able to find the issue and fix it. I would hope we will NOT have another upgrade that requires this kind of special attention and recreating of custom work. Totally a PITA! I look forward to hear the resolution. Thank you.

Barry

Of course. I’ve reported this to the developers and I’ll post back here as soon as there is an update. Sorry once again folks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrade caused serious problems’ is closed to new replies.