Upgrade: Calendar Over Sidebar, Image from Event on Calendar

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Upgrade: Calendar Over Sidebar, Image from Event on Calendar

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Beth
    Participant

I upgraded The Event Calendar Pro, along with any other Event Calendar upgrades this week. I’m set to “default page template” and have never had an issue in the past. However, the calendar is now over the sidebar. I tried switching to “full page template”, but nothing changes. Even the sidebar remained. In addition, there is an image from the first event on the November calendar appearing above the information I’ve entered in “Add HTML before calendar” that I can’t remove. It’s from an event that was pulled in via Facebook Events.

Calendar: http://deals.ingoodcents.com/events/
    Theme: Thesis 1.8.2
    The Events Calendar 2.0.10
    The Events Calendar Community Events 1.0.4
    The Events Calendar Facebook Events 1.0.3
    The Events Calendar Pro 2.0.10

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Beth,

I’m not quite sure how the update would have changed things but there’s not a lot of space for the calendar overall anyway… One possible way you can solve the width/overlapping issue is to add this but of CSS to your theme’s style.css:

.tribe-events-calendar td .tribe-events-event {
    width: 67px;
    }

For the other issue with the image from a Facebook event, it looks like for some reason your theme is pulling in the featured image from the first event in the calendar. What theme are you using? Thesis?

– Jonah

Beth
    Participant

I am using Thesis 1.8.2. It’s never played well with the look of the calendar. I’d love to get it on a full page template, but while that works for other things I have on my site, The Event Calendar leaves my sidebar there. I’m just not technical enough to create a custom page template. I tried. I was totally lost and just made a mess.

I had CSS in there to control the width, but it stopped working after the upgrade and no matter what I did, it kept spitting on me, but that works. Thank you!!

My site design does use featured images, but typically when I create a post, I have to pull up an image and select “set featured image”. Since I can’t do that in this case, I’m not sure why or how it’s setting that image as the featured. It seems to be working on every page/event.

At least that’s less of an issue than the calendar going over the sidebar though! I’ll see if my designer can figure it out.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Beth,

There are a couple of things that I can offer that may be of help in Thesis. One, try using this code in a custom_functions.php file in a ‘custom’ directory inside your Thesis theme folder (you might already have one of these). Code:

// Add a class for styling
    function add_classes($classes) {
    if('tribe_events' == get_post_type()) {
    if ( is_single() && !tribe_is_showing_all() ) { // single event
    $classes[] = 'single-event';
    } elseif ( tribe_is_upcoming() || tribe_is_past() || tribe_is_day() || (is_single() && tribe_is_showing_all()) ) { // list view
    $classes[] = 'list';
    } else { // grid view
    $classes[] = 'grid';
    }
    } else {

}
    return $classes;
    }
    add_filter('thesis_body_classes', 'add_classes');

This will then allow you to target anything on any of those pages, i.e. the featured image that’s showing up on the calendar page. So with the above code in place you would be able to hide the featured image div like so:

.grid #featured_main_pg_image {
    display: none;
    }

For the sidebars, there’s this code that you would add to you custom_functions.php file that may help you:

// Conditionally remove original sidebars
    function no_sidebars() {
    global $wp_query;
    if('tribe_events' == get_post_type()) {
    $my_post_count = $wp_query->found_posts;
    echo $my_post_count;
    if ( $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && is_single() && !is_tax(TribeEvents::TAXONOMY) ) { // single event
    return true;
    } elseif($wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] == 'past' && $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && is_paged() && $my_post_count > 0) {
    return false;
    } elseif ( $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] == 'upcoming' || $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] == 'past' && $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && !is_tax(TribeEvents::TAXONOMY) ) { // list view
    return true;
    } elseif ( $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] == 'month' && !is_tax(TribeEvents::TAXONOMY) ) { // grid view
    return false;
    } elseif ( $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && $wp_query->query_vars['eventDisplay'] == 'month' && is_tax(TribeEvents::TAXONOMY) ) { // grid view categories
    return false;
    } elseif ( $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::POSTTYPE && tribe_is_day() ) { // single event days
    return false;
    }
    } elseif( $wp_query->query_vars['post_type'] == TribeEvents::VENUE_POST_TYPE ) { // venues
    return false;
    } else {
    return true;
    }
    }
    add_filter('thesis_show_sidebars', 'no_sidebars');

I hope this all helps but let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and if you’re happy with the plugin and support we sure would appreciate a review here: http://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/the-events-calendar

Many thanks,
    – Jonah

Jonah
    Participant

Sorry that first snippet to add the body classes got a little mangled. Try this instead: https://gist.github.com/2127103

Beth
    Participant

Thank you so much! You guys are so great about replying and helping me quickly whenever I have an issue. I appreciate that so much.

Leah

Thank you Beth! Is everything squared away for you? If so, I’ll close up the thread. Of course, you can always open another if you need more assistance.

~Leah

Beth
    Participant

I think it is. Thanks again!

Leah

Great, thanks so much!
    ~Leah

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrade: Calendar Over Sidebar, Image from Event on Calendar’ is closed to new replies.