Updating a Staging / Development site’s plugins

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Updating a Staging / Development site’s plugins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

This is a new ticket related to my earlier ticket at
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/updating-a-stagingdev-websites-plugins/#dl_post-1188635

I still get messages on my development / testing website that the Pro and Eventbrite Tickets plugins are not up-to-date (but they are and the plugins show the current versions). If the plugins are considered out of date on the dev site, will they still work at the correct version that is shown in the Plugins page? Or are they going to work at an earlier version making testing impossible?

My licensed plugins are assigned to events.stcwdc.org and are working fine. In order to install the plugins on my development website for testing updates before installing them on the production website, I reassigned them from events.stcwdc.org to dev.stcwdc.org and uploaded them. Then I reassigned the plugin licenses back to the production site so the production site can still function while I test how the new versions will affect the site, if at all–assuming they are working using the most recent version that was uploaded.

In your last comment in the closed ticket, you asked for the system information for both websites. I have copied both sites’ system information below.

Note: I have not reverted to the Twenty Fourteen WP theme because it is too far back level and would not truly test the site as it runs in the more modern theme.

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Hi again.

Sorry you’re still dealing with this.

I don’t know how or why it would say you’re not on the latest versions, but it sounds like you’re doing everything correctly with moving the license keys.

However, I think it’s important for you to know that even if you didn’t have any license keys at wp-admin > Events > Settings > Licenses tab, everything will still fully work the same… it’ll even notify you that updates are available… you just won’t be able to receive/install the automatic updates until you input your valid license key.

Therefore, if your development/staging site is always created via a clone of your production site, since your production site was the one showing up as registered at https://theeventscalendar.com/license-keys/, that’s what you’d want anyway… unless you’re specifically wanting to test the latest version update on your development site (like to see if anything breaks before updating on production).

If you really wanted to avoid this, you could upgrade your license from Personal (1 site) to Business (3 sites).

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating a Staging / Development site’s plugins’ is closed to new replies.