Updates: List of changed files / templates

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Updates: List of changed files / templates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mister
    Participant

Hi,

Is it possible to see somewhere a list of updated files of the plugin for every release? I have customized some template files in my child theme, and on every update I need to check them. I t would be good to get an indication, when one of the original template files was updated or affected by a release.

Can I find this information somewhere here?

George
    Participant

Hey @Martin,

Thanks for reaching out. We unfortunately do not maintain any such lists. ๐Ÿ™

Our free plugins have public-facing GitHub repos, which may be helpful; you can find those here:

โ€ข The Events Calendar โ†’ github.com/moderntribe/the-events-calendar
    โ€ข Event Tickets โ†’ github.com/moderntribe/event-tickets

And so on…

The full course of development is logged in those repos, and so you can see every single file change over time…

…there is no equivalent of this for our premium add-ons, though.

The best thing we can recommend here is to have a “staging” or “dev” version of your website on which you can test updates and see if there are any breaking changes for your customizations โ€” if not, then you can perform the updates on the “real” site without issue. If there are, then you can fix your customizations first, then roll those changes out to the “real” site and update the plugins there without issue, etc…

I’m sorry to disappoint on the main point, but hope some of this information is helpful nonetheless.

Cheers!
    George

Mister
    Participant

Hi George,

thanks for the info. Using a staging environment is how I currently handle it. However, it requires the “manual” testing of all sites.

An alternative (which just came to my mind) would be to make a diff comparison of all original template files from the previous version of plugin folder for which a customizer version exists in the child theme), against the original template files from the new version.

Do you know whether there is a good diff software (for Mac), which can do bulk diffs for multiple files with syntax highlighting?

Mathew
    Participant

Martin,

I use TextWrangler for Mac by Bare Bones Software to run a file/folder comparison. I run it against every TEC update. It works great for this and other editor needs.

Hope this helps.

George
    Participant

Hey Martin,

Manual examinations/diffs of the updates would indeed be required at this time. ๐Ÿ™ We may indeed roll out better documentation of such changes at some point, but unfortunately there is no such thing for now.

In the meantime, something like Mathew’s recommendation may work well for making diffs easier to generate, and to make it easier to compare files. That is the best software combination I can think of, but there may be good diff tools for Mac I am not aware ofโ€”I would recommend browsing online or even the Mac App Store for any such tools. If you find ones that look good, try to find ones with a trial license or at least a good refund policy so you can test some different options out without having to commit to a given purchase or tool.

I hope this information all helps! While I will be closing this thread specifically, be sure to open a new thread any time if other issues or questions arise!

Sincerely,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Updates: List of changed files / templates’ is closed to new replies.