Upcoming Week, Day Selector

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Upcoming Week, Day Selector

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michelle

I don’t know if this is possible… but…

I’d LOVE to be able to do two things.

First, have a widget that shows M-T-W-T-F-S-S (can insert imgs) and upon clicking the day of the week events for that upcoming day are shown.

Also, I’d love to have a ‘day selector.’ This could be at the top of an events list or in it’s own widget. Essentially, it would be nice if the user could select a particular day to see the events.

Additionally, my client has so many events that the calendar view is a little crazy. Have you seen how anyone else has handled this?

I am working on a complete site redesign for these folks and would love have a solution to these challenges before we complete the project – if possible.

http://nwkidsmagazine.com/events/month/

Thank you for taking the time to view my post!

Rob

Hey Michelle. Thanks for the note on this; the first item you’re requesting could likely be done but would definitely require a fair amount of custom development work. If it’s something you’d like to contract us or another developer to build I can certainly point you in the right direction…but as it stands we unfortunately wouldn’t have the bandwidth to build or provide direct support on how to build that here in the forums. I will say that if you feel up to the task, we recently published a how to on completely modifying the widgets, which may help: https://theeventscalendar.com/how-to-completely-customize-widgets/.

I like the idea of the day selector, though, and that seems much more manageable. Would the day selector just take you to the current “day view” (which you can see clicking on an individual day that has events, in grid view)?

Having a lot of events can be tough. You weren’t kidding when you said that site had a lot! What I’ve found helps break things out are either using categories to your advantage (then instead of linking users to the full on calendar, linking them to categories that are applicable to them) or just color-coding the categories, as we detailed in this walkthrough: https://theeventscalendar.com/coloring-your-category-events/.

That help? Let me know if not and I’d be happy to elaborate.

Michelle

Thanks for the response!

I understand on the first request – totally! I’ll try and work on something on my end. If you want to see a live example of what I’m thinking about, you can look at wweek.com (upper right corner). I think they are using drupal, but it is still a great feature.

Yes. The day selector will take you to the “day view” that you get from clicking on an individual day in the events, grid view. I could use the grid, but with all of the events I have, the pop out is annoying. I’m seeing the day selector as a ‘date’ form that has today’s date as the auto fill, but can be changed to an upcoming date. It cold be either a widget or a selector at the top of the events list view.

Thanks for the tip on the mega amount of events I have in the calendar. I’ll work on the idea of the categories, that might be a great fix. Is it possible to select a group of events and allocate a category to them all at once?

Also, I tried to integrate my post categories with events. This will allow me a tone of usability functions on my site! Unfortunately, I followed the instructions in the forum for this and it killed the theme. I, of course, had a backup to functions.php so is wasn’t a big deal. Any idea how to work around this and make it work? I am now using Solostream’s clear theme.

https://theeventscalendar.com/integrating-wordpress-categories-tags-with-your-events/

Thanks Rob! Your response time and assistance is truly appreciated. The Events calendar is a great resource, but your customer service has made me a fan!

Cheers,

Michelle

Rob

Hey Michelle. Awesome to hear this was of some use to you. The elaboration you provided on the day selector makes good sense; I’m going to check with the team to see what this would entail, and if it’s manageable we’ll add it to the 2.1 list.

You can assign event categories in bulk by going to the broader events list on the backend, and using the Bulk Actions –> Edit option. Among the options you can configure here are the categories; so whatever events you’d selected, you can adjust the categories accordingly. Make sense? Let me know if not.

Regarding the integration with posts/events walkthrough not working: I’m wondering if this is an issue with your theme specifically. Any way you could check whether the same steps you followed there work on the default 2011 theme, or if it’s busted there too? Knowing this should help diagnose the issue.

Thanks again for the words, and let me know about the above so we can continue to troubleshoot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Upcoming Week, Day Selector’ is closed to new replies.